Matt Le Tissier

Not as a starter but he had the ability to change the game He just lacked that extra bit of consistency.
I agree with that - but what sort of value would you place on him in today's market?

I agree with that - but what sort of value would you place on him in today's market?

Between £25-30m. Not quite a British Transfer record. The only thing that stopped him from moving was his loyalty to Southampton.

Last edited:
Between 25-30m. Not quite a British Transfer record. The only thing that stopped him from moving was his loyalty to Southampton.
Yep, 25m would prob be about right I'd guess. He had real good qualities but the way the games played today it's probable that you could make him a bit more ineffective than he was. That's not to take anything away from him - quality player.

I think Le Tiss would be worth an awful lot more more than 25 million in todays market. There are not many midfield players who score 100+ top flight goals (yes I know a lot were penalties). There are certainly none who have managed that feat for a club like Saints and none that made it look so classy and effortless. He was an absolutely sublime footballer.
He got a bad rep for being unfit and on the porky side, but he was that much better than everyone else, he did not need to be as fit.
I am sure that if he would have been around today with all the rewards on offer (financial, champs league etc) then he would have been a lot more dedicated. He would certainly have left Southampton to play play Champs league football.
I would go as far as to say he was the most talented English football that I ever saw and I include Gazza in that.

Brilliant player, I always thought we were gonna put a bid in for him when Alan Ball took over, as he's best spell was under Ball at the Saint's. It obviously didn't materialise and we ended up dogshit for the next 10 year's or so. Thanks Le Tiss.

Surprised by this thread.

Think he is overrated and wouldn't get in our team in a billion years. He had no defensive awareness at all, no real pace, and was inconsistent. If you recall he rarely had a brilliant game and instead had brilliant moments in a game.

Fully understand why he wasn't picked at national level. You cannot build a team around a luxury player who might turn up but might also walk around the pitch doing nowt

In the modern game with its pace and full team defensive structures he would be lucky to get into a Championship team. He's another Kinkladze whereby the memory of the spectacular has now overshadowed the reasons why he was at a club like City in the first place instead of Real Madrid.

Great MOTD player, worshipped at Saints but ultimately chose to not be world class. Had the talent but none if the application

Looking at that makes me think, more than any other top English team, he'd fit into ours, especially with his ability to shoot from distance. Perhaps less so with KDB seemingly done, but even so he'd thrive in our set up, with the team set up to complement his qualities.

The only position he could possibly play for us is the "#10" role, better than Silva? No chance. Nasri? No. Kdb? No. Would you play him there instead of sterling? No.

Like damo said, moments of magic, 85 mins of mediocrity

Don't think he'd get anywhere near our first team. He scored some quite incredible goals, one at Ewood and one at the dell where he took over the defenders head about 3 times spring to mind. However, he didn't do it consistently and was lazy when things weren't going for him. Never made much impact for England either.

The only position he could possibly play for us is the "#10" role, better than Silva? No chance. Nasri? No. Kdb? No. Would you play him there instead of sterling? No.

Like damo said, moments of magic, 85 mins of mediocrity
Of course he couldn't supplant Silva. I would have thought my KDB reference would have given you some indication as to where I would see him playing. Out wide with a licence to roam. Certainly he'd be more direct than Nasri. He'd score goals from distance which is something we've sorely lacked in recent years, especially against teams that park the bus, like Chelsea. He'd be good cover for Sergio too. I think he'd (theoretically) raise his game around our players. His work rate wasn't the best, which is why he wouldn't even be considered by Chelsea, united or Liverpool in within the current manifestations of their playing styles. Possibly fit in at Arsenal tbf.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.