May and the missile

We do. We don't need it. It's bullshit posturing when we can't afford to look after our sick or invest in infrastructure.

Total utter pouncing about trying to look hard in a club we can't afford to be in.

Nobody will come for us ahead of the polish, Germans, Dutch, Italians .....
Is it all to do with keeping our place at the top table of the UN security council? I agree its a vanity project and we need to get used to the fact that the sun has long since set on the empire. Still, trident does keep some miserable jocks off the smack and in employment though :-)

Is it all to do with keeping our place at the top table of the UN security council? I agree its a vanity project and we need to get used to the fact that the sun has long since set on the empire. Still, trident does keep some miserable jocks off the smack and in employment though :-)

Shut up you cheeky **** :)

It's a total waste of money. We are a great island race, we are just not imperial anymore and I'm cool with that. If we gave up the redundant dildos do we lose our seat on the security council?

Even if we did, who gives a fuck?

As the old saying gies.

What has the security council ever done for us? :)

Shut up you cheeky **** :)

It's a total waste of money. We are a great island race, we are just not imperial anymore and I'm cool with that. If we gave up the redundant dildos do we lose our seat on the security council?

Even if we did, who gives a fuck?

As the old saying gies.

What has the security council ever done for us? :)
Honestly don't know. I think it all started with the post ww2 scramble for a nuke to give us global status as a 'player' alongside the us.

Honestly don't know. I think it all started with the post ww2 scramble for a nuke to give us global status as a 'player' alongside the us.

I agree. But, we've moved on. We were still clinging on to the world military power status then.

We're still tasty, but the game has changed.

Yes he can but my understanding is that he only opens that letter if contact with his chain of command is lost.
It's an interesting point that we agree that the Captain and his merry band can independently fire the nukes (in certain circumstances; loss of command, no more shipping forcast or radio 4) but differ on the Prime Ministers ability to independently fire them.

It was to do with that. There was a fascinating documentary about it a while ago. Macmillan was desperate to get access to US technology to ensure we retained a seat on the security council as we'd fucked up developing our own delivery mechanism and the Americans abandoned their own sky-launched stand-off. They negotiated the Nassau Agreement to take Polaris but the Americans extracted a high price. The main prize was the Holy Loch base, which scared the shit out of the UK government as it was so close to Glasgow and the Clyde but they had no choice.

The other major concession was that it was part of a multi-lateral force (i.e. effectively under the US umbrella) as there was no way Kennedy and McNamara would countenance a truly independent force outside of US control. But there was a vague form of words that we could operate independently only when our "supreme national interest" was threatened. But no one really defined that properly and to all intents and purposes it translates as "when the missiles have already landed and we're completely on our own because we can't get hold of the Yanks to say yes or no". The Nassau Agreement has not, as far as I'm aware, ever been superseded.

It's an interesting point that we agree that the Captain and his merry band can independently fire the nukes (in certain circumstances; loss of command, no more shipping forcast or radio 4) but differ on the Prime Ministers ability to independently fire them.
See my post below yours. The PM would be able to act independently in the same circumstances as the Captain, when contact had been lost with the US President or Joint Chiefs of Staff.

See my post below yours. The PM would be able to act independently in the same circumstances as the Captain, when contact had been lost with the US President or Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Not true, whatever anyone says the system is truly independent technically and operationally. Whether a British PM would act without US political approval is another matter, but it's not a requirement.

Ahhh The penny drops, we have been talking different things. Your man was talking in relation to an attack on NATO itself. Whereby the nukes come under NATO command and control (but still need the PM's permission to fire)

Will believe that when I see it.

Who would we want to fire it at? Is Russia going to invade us? Us it worth ending the world over Ukraine? If China build a couple of islands will we threaten to bomb them?

They are pointless. A strong conventional armed forces and spooks able to find and kill those who want to kill us.

That's money well spent. Not oversized dildos sitting in a sub never to be used but just driven about endlessly until they are obsolete then it will be an even better kill ratio one to keep us safe.

You wonder how citizens outwith the ten or so nations who have nukes sleep at night. I don't see them demonstrating to be allowed to have them. They must issue Calpol andNight Nurse to every citizen to take the edge off the terror.

At total con to make us feel important.

Absolutely correct. It's utter madness.

In military terms the UK is a third or fourth rate player so why pay billions for a weapon system that no PM would EVER use without permission of the US president - they just wouldn't.

As we would only ever use it in Americas interest why not fuck it off and use the money saved to increase our conventional forces and the NHS?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.