Meanwhile Over on Red cafe

Global fan bases are essential these days so slagging of Rags for NOT coming from Manchester is ok ... they 'come from' Trafford! Slagging off 'global' fans could easily backfire.

Only saying ... as a CTID fan of 40 years and live in Dublin. It's all about the brand ... and I tell our 'brand' has more legs long term ... Utd are the school ground bullies ... Tick Tock ... chickens coming home to roost.

Blissfully biased as ever ...

Q8-Blue said:
The post make some points but generalizes foreign fans, I for example do not have the luxury of being born in a country which has a good football league like in England. The Kuwaiti league is kind of like the Scottish League only two good teams and they're only good by Asian standard. I do have a local team Qadsia FC they’re 5 minutes from where I grew up and they have a huge fanbase in Kuwait and local rivals, during our matches with our rivals it gets so bad that we have to get the national guard out, but the quality of football isn’t like Europe which is why we mostly follow local and European football.
All of my countrymen support European teams, some are gloryhunters skipping from team to team whoever won the league or whoever has a charismatic star that attracts their fancy. But some are genuine fans growing up loving their team taking time to travel during the late stages of the season (early summer) to catch a few games and have a good time. These fans even attract their kids to love their team as if it was their local team; I know a guy who used to study in London and became a Tottenham fan, now all his family are Tottenham fans.
It's like if i was a basketball fan I'd probably watch the NBA as its the best basketball league in the world. Football is a sport enjoyed by the entire world and the Premier League is the best league in the world, with the best players in the world.
Of course it’s not the same as being a local and supporting your local team and that’s something genuine foreign fans struggle with and I believe it makes them stronger as a result, it takes a lot of commitment as a genuine fan to support a team that’s thousands of mile away and even more commitment to take time from your life to travel thousands of miles to see and cheer for your favorite team. With the internet we use valuable tools like this forum for example to connect with each other as a worldwide community supporting our team and to keep up with the news of the team. Anyways that’s just a foreign fans point of view :)

I have nothing against foreign fans at all but the one thing I have to say is that I can't imagine that the quality of the English league was fantastic in 1930 but people still turned out to watch it (although I admit they had no option). Not knowing what it would be like 70 years later. And if it wasn't for those fans turning out to their local clubs the league would not be as it is today. So what im saying is, maybe you should give your league a chance, you never know where it will be in 70 years time, but I imagine if you all took a greater intrest in your local clubs, it would be better off than if you spent time following clubs from across the world. Please don't take it the wrong way I don't mean any offence =)

EDIT: I would also add that its the non-locals that live in the UK and support teams in different parts of the country which annoys me, not fans from other countries. In fact I just hate rags =)

mancityvstoke said:
the--dud said:
Should I just stop supporting City then despite loving the club for as long as I can remember?
Do you hate me because my dad started supporting City but has lived in Norway all his life? My dad is also jumped on the BANDWAGON! Not this one, but in the 60s/70s when City were "massive".

I'm not allowed to be a City fan then no? I'll have to go back to supporting my local club - Romolslia Sportsklubb in the Norwegian Fifth Division (not a joke btw!)...

Ok mate...firstly who said I hated you? NOt me!

Secondly if you don't want to support your local club then don't.

Means fk all to me really....just my opinion like.

You could always call me a nonce like some divvy blue did last week.

Support who you want. I don't blame anyone for wanting to support MCFC. It's JUST my opinion that local clubs need the support of local people. I was born in Rusholme luckily for me and have lived in Manchester for 95% of my life. I became a blue because of my roots.

I have fk all against our global support. If you want to follow my local team then do it. You can hardly be called glory hunters. If you're local team is sh'it....what made MCFC better? I mean we've been shit for years.

I know what you mean, I'm not trying to pick an argument, was just trying to bring another light to the discussion mate :)

You're right that any team needs local support, it eez most important! But if a team is spending over a £100m per year on transfer you might need to consider that it would help to have a large global following. I know it's YOUR club but you can share it so others get to enjoy it as well can't you?

I supported City because my dad used to talk about them all the time and we used to watch their games a lot on TV. Also in Scandinavia we have a real love for English football.

When I lived in Norway I did also support my local team - Rosenborg FK but strictly speaking that isn't the absolutely most LOCAL team I had.
I'm sure this is the same for most people in Manchester as well?
If you lived in Coventry would you rather support Coventry City in The Championship with 30k crowds or say your most local team was Coventry Sphinx with 1k crowds in the "Midland Football Alliance League"?

I just think there's a lot more fun and damaging ways to laugh at the rags than the fact that most/some of their supporters aren't local to Manchester... But that might just be my view as an outsider.

This is pathetic, blues slagging off our own, if we support the club we support the club, end of.

the--dud said:
mancityvstoke said:
Ok mate...firstly who said I hated you? NOt me!

Secondly if you don't want to support your local club then don't.

Means fk all to me really....just my opinion like.

You could always call me a nonce like some divvy blue did last week.

Support who you want. I don't blame anyone for wanting to support MCFC. It's JUST my opinion that local clubs need the support of local people. I was born in Rusholme luckily for me and have lived in Manchester for 95% of my life. I became a blue because of my roots.

I have fk all against our global support. If you want to follow my local team then do it. You can hardly be called glory hunters. If you're local team is sh'it....what made MCFC better? I mean we've been shit for years.

I know what you mean, I'm not trying to pick an argument, was just trying to bring another light to the discussion mate :)

You're right that any team needs local support, it eez most important! But if a team is spending over a £100m per year on transfer you might need to consider that it would help to have a large global following. I know it's YOUR club but you can share it so others get to enjoy it as well can't you?

I supported City because my dad used to talk about them all the time and we used to watch their games a lot on TV. Also in Scandinavia we have a real love for English football.

When I lived in Norway I did also support my local team - Rosenborg FK but strictly speaking that isn't the absolutely most LOCAL team I had.
I'm sure this is the same for most people in Manchester as well?
If you lived in Coventry would you rather support Coventry City in The Championship with 30k crowds or say your most local team was Coventry Sphinx with 1k crowds in the "Midland Football Alliance League"?

I just think there's a lot more fun and damaging ways to laugh at the rags than the fact that most/some of their supporters aren't local to Manchester... But that might just be my view as an outsider.

This is a good point. 'Locals' like me gain a sort of oneupmanship by taking the piss out of local utd fans for their out of town support.

The more TV make the game global, the less the location of fans will matter

really dont get anyone not supporting their local club, how good their team or league is is irrelevant to me(parentage excepted)

hilts said:
really dont get anyone not supporting their local club, how good their team or league is is irrelevant to me(parentage excepted)

We have got quite lucky in that we're born in cities with two major football clubs with strong histories and involved in big games, relatively speaking.

Imagine being born in Yeovil? I'm not saying it justifies being a glory supporter, but those fans deserve a hell of a lot of respect knowing the best they'll ever do is league 1 or maybe championship. I guess it's all relative, for us success is an FA cup..and probably a league for you boys in the coming years, for them it's a late winner away at crewe.

Lets just leave it at this- it doesn't matter. Foreign fans that aren't glory hunters are just as dedicated as fans from England, anyone who says otherwise has never woken up at 6 in the morning for a match.

toffeetom said:
hilts said:

We have got quite lucky in that we're born in cities with two major football clubs with strong histories and involved in big games, relatively speaking.

Imagine being born in Yeovil? I'm not saying it justifies being a glory supporter, but those fans deserve a hell of a lot of respect knowing the best they'll ever do is league 1 or maybe championship. I guess it's all relative, for us success is an FA cup..and probably a league for you boys in the coming years, for them it's a late winner away at crewe.

maybe being a city fan i dont associate support as being anything to do with success or quality, if i was born in yeovil i believe i would be a yeovil fan, i mean my dad is a rag but i chose city because i didnt want to follow the crowd, everyone is different i guess

there will be plenty of non locals who go to more games than me so i guess you could say they are better supporters in that respect

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.