Meanwhile Over on Red cafe

I love these threads. They are the reason I try not to talk so much on matchday when I actually do have the opportunity to travel over and watch our beloved City, as not to reveal my nationality.

But I guess in some strange way you somehow feel the same as me; you don´t want to attract "glory-hunters" from all over the world, and I don´t want to be labelled one. We need to be honest here; how could any of us "non-mancs" be? But if I am; it´s been a long hunt, that´s for sure.

Q8-Blue said:
KansasCITY said:
Lets just leave it at this- it doesn't matter. Foreign fans that aren't glory hunters are just as dedicated as fans from England, anyone who says otherwise has never woken up at 6 in the morning for a match.

On a Saturday i might add, living in Portland OR its a lot worse with pacific standard time.

Yeah it's always fun for us in Portland 3 hours earlier then east coast time. I love getting up at 4:30 am!

So this is where the other thread about a global fan base came from.

Some more serious crap on this thread, but a little perspective from someone who lives in Thailand (and yes I am from Manchester and yes I was going to watch City before most of you were even born, so give me a break).

You can't expect to have it both ways. Having the best league and some of the best teams means you get the best players in the league, but it naturally means that you will have foreign fans supporting UK clubs, and it's the countries without strong leagues where most of the foreign support comes from. You dont see many people from Germany or Spain supporting UK teams I imagine. It's Asia, Africa and now, increasingly, the Middle East. If you had lived in these countries, you would know why. And yes, they can support their local teams but follow a foreign team, why not?

The fact that United have grown their support base so fast over 20/30 years means we have been the first to push our Manchester credentials. Let's face it, it's been one of the few things we could hit United with. But now its time to wake up and smell the coffee. Our owners want us to be a global brand. That means we will have foreign support and we will have support from the UK outside Manchester, whether you like it or not. You better get used to it, and if you can't evolve the mindset we have developed over 20 years that non-Manc fans are to be laughed at, then you will be an unhappy bunny in the next 20 years.

Having said all that, some of that stuff on Red Cafe really is funny.

the--dud said:
If you lived in Coventry would you rather support Coventry City in The Championship with 30k crowds or say your most local team was Coventry Sphinx with 1k crowds in the "Midland Football Alliance League"?

In a (pathetic) attempt at lightening the mood, I'll mention that coincidentally, I went to Uni in Coventry and went to see both Coventry City and Coventry Sphinx play. Overall, I'd have to say that Sphinx played the far better football, even though it was typical non-league "punt it upfield" and they still lost without scoring, and even though Coventry City won the game I watched without conceding...

halfcenturyup said:
You can't expect to have it both ways. Having the best league and some of the best teams means you get the best players in the league, but it naturally means that you will have foreign fans supporting UK clubs, and it's the countries without strong leagues where most of the foreign support comes from. You dont see many people from Germany or Spain supporting UK teams I imagine.

I don't know if I would totally say that no one in Germany or Spain don't also keep an eye out on the Premier League. That said, the Premier League is a strong league yet you see many hard core Bundesliga supporters from the UK.

It is just going to happen. TV showing matches all around the world makes this more than just a local thing for all the big leagues at the very least.

I wake early to watch the Bundesliga, Serie A, Premier League and then after some sleep, I watch the MLS in the evening.

I have loved this sport since I started playing it in 1980 when I was ten.

I do agree though with what you have said.

Meanwhile, in the City outskirts...

You have got to love this thread!

<a class="postlink" href="http://community.manutd.com/forums/p/142907/1328785.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://community.manutd.com/forums/p/14 ... 28785.aspx</a>

Did you see Dzeko in action? People they will destroy us and all team in premier league. I begging here to sign Dzeko, but we don't have money.wtf!!! We wouldn't have more cus of this. You don't know who is Dzeko. He isn't a bench player, he is a top scorer. you will see that (I hope that I'll make mistake, but...) United forever

Don't honestly care where anyone is from, rag or blue, but I'll never give up on the opportunity to wind them up and get under their skin...they don't like it so I'll use it.

Im Canadian and only in the past 4 years have I even discovered my enjoyment for Football. I started watching when Sven came along and I really really enjoyed watching City. BEFORE I decided to decide whether or not I would consistently follow them I researched the history of the team and absolutely fell in love. I have watched a lot of old games but it was the 99 playoff final that really made me love City. After learning about the "typical City" that was the utter essence of it and I enjoyed it.

Now I find myself screaming at the top of my lungs when I watch City on the internet. Which is every single time they play. I do not protest to be a supporter like those in England who give their hard earned money to watch the team. I consider it a privilege to follow this club and when I get the financial ability I am going to come and watch a match and stay for as long as I can in England and watch as many matches as I can and really soak in what it means to be a supporter of City.

I truly Envy every last one of you that get to go to the matches and get to be around the club at all times. I envy the fact that you got those moments when you were younger and watching City and growing into your love for them. I wish I had the same chance.

I live for City. I wake up my first thing I do is check on several websites to see if there is any news about City. I want to talk about them all the time. In fact all I ever want is more and more City. I have given up guaranteed sex simply to watch us get trounced 8 - 1 against Middlesbrough. That is just one specific instance but it has happened a lot. Do I regret it? NO! I love this club that much. I never regret watching them, or talking about them, or anything involving them.

So what I live in a different country? I LOVE this club. I dont have the same relationship with the club as you but at the same time I feel that my love for the club is very strong. I hope you can accept a fan like me, and others like me.

ste.sully said:
And they call us "bitter"...

The tide is obviously turning, they can't shut up for 2 minutes about us these days.

They sing that "This is what it's like to be City" song literally every five minutes ... and I mean LITERALLY they do. It's by far their most popular song, especially amongst their away support. They do this because they know that the entire song is about to become obsolete and they're flogging it whilst they still have the chance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.