Media bias against City

Status
Not open for further replies.
In today's telegraph gossip section, they yalk about the rags potentially buying Benteke for 32million, taking their spending to an 'impressive' £109m so far.

I'm sure it will be reported differently when we top 100m

There were two stories earlier this week in the ToryGraph - left hand side was MANUre's potential £300m spend and on the right hand side we were climbing to £100m. One was seemingly impressive whilst t'other was profligate!!

But today, NoMark Oddun has scribed an interesting piece about the £49m investment and has concluded that it will be money well spent, and he even slips in a bit of mild criticism of the GPC who recruited Smalling, Bebe, etc when he pursued 'value in the market'! The outcome of which was 'Ballotelli, Aguerooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!" I thought I'd never see the day when he wrote a positive City article. Perhaps this agenda thing is summat else!!

There were two stories earlier this week in the ToryGraph - left hand side was MANUre's potential £300m spend and on the right hand side we were climbing to £100m. One was seemingly impressive whilst t'other was profligate!!

But today, NoMark Oddun has scribed an interesting piece about the £49m investment and has concluded that it will be money well spent, and he even slips in a bit of mild criticism of the GPC who recruited Smalling, Bebe, etc when he pursued 'value in the market'! The outcome of which was 'Ballotelli, Aguerooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!" I thought I'd never see the day when he wrote a positive City article. Perhaps this agenda thing is summat else!!

Holy shit, Ogden was positive about us?

I was pretty surprised to see the piece in the Guardian (I won't link to it, but I've tweeted the author about it) which claimed that Micah Richards had 'failed to establish' himself at City. Just had to respond with - "he made more England appearances than Mike Summerbee; won more medals than Dennis Tueart and appeared more times for City than Dave Watson". If that's failing to establish himself then I don't know what he'd have had to do to become established. To be fair to the journalist (apparently a Liverpool fan but whether that's relevant who knows?) he replied along the lines of 'his chances became limited' after the takeover. Well, that may be true (to an extent) but that's not what was written. All we expect is balance and fair, fact based reporting. Is it too much to ask? Some journalists really do try to get balance (and there are plenty I respect and have helped along the way), but others find a theme and decide to keep pushing it despite the evidence. Ah well! I guess it generates readers for them.

I was pretty surprised to see the piece in the Guardian (I won't link to it, but I've tweeted the author about it) which claimed that Micah Richards had 'failed to establish' himself at City. Just had to respond with - "he made more England appearances than Mike Summerbee; won more medals than Dennis Tueart and appeared more times for City than Dave Watson". If that's failing to establish himself then I don't know what he'd have had to do to become established. To be fair to the journalist (apparently a Liverpool fan but whether that's relevant who knows?) he replied along the lines of 'his chances became limited' after the takeover. Well, that may be true (to an extent) but that's not what was written. All we expect is balance and fair, fact based reporting. Is it too much to ask? Some journalists really do try to get balance (and there are plenty I respect and have helped along the way), but others find a theme and decide to keep pushing it despite the evidence. Ah well! I guess it generates readers for them.

I saw this Twitter encounter. IMO, even the argument that 'his chances became limited after the takeover' doesn't really hold up. Between the takeover at the start of September 2008 to March 2012, when he got the injury that put him out of the title run-in, he played over 140 games for City. The full back positions get rotated a lot in the modern game, but he was generally the first choice, when fit, for most of that period - even though his rival was a current Argentinian international. Micah was chosen to start the 2011 FA Cup final, when the best available side was definitely chosen, and was clearly rated the number one RB at the club through the 2011/12 title season. That sounds pretty 'established' to me.

Admittedly, he hardly played in the two seasons after that, so he became 'unestablished', but even that's something that you have to see his absences in context. Firstly, he was injured playing in the GB Olympic side in the summer of 2012 and missed the first 10 weeks of the 2012/13 campaign. Then, when he came back, he picked up another serious injury against Swansea. When he finally did come back to fitness, he seemed more prone to niggling injuries and he couldn't put a consistent run of form together, looking way below his previous standard even in games against lower division teams in cup competitions. At the same time, when he was out for an extended period, Zabaleta improved enormously and earned the right to be considered our best RB. These things happen in football - Keith MacRae was our first choice 'keeper once upon a time, he got injured and that gave Joe Corrigan a chance, and Corrigan never looked back.

I suspect that the journalist in question has just lazily gone with his preconceptions and not bothered to check the facts. Not very impressive, though.

I saw this Twitter encounter. IMO, even the argument that 'his chances became limited after the takeover' doesn't really hold up. Between the takeover at the start of September 2008 to March 2012, when he got the injury that put him out of the title run-in, he played over 140 games for City. The full back positions get rotated a lot in the modern game, but he was generally the first choice, when fit, for most of that period - even though his rival was a current Argentinian international. Micah was chosen to start the 2011 FA Cup final, when the best available side was definitely chosen, and was clearly rated the number one RB at the club through the 2011/12 title season. That sounds pretty 'established' to me.

Admittedly, he hardly played in the two seasons after that, so he became 'unestablished', but even that's something that you have to see his absences in context. Firstly, he was injured playing in the GB Olympic side in the summer of 2012 and missed the first 10 weeks of the 2012/13 campaign. Then, when he came back, he picked up another serious injury against Swansea. When he finally did come back to fitness, he seemed more prone to niggling injuries and he couldn't put a consistent run of form together, looking way below his previous standard even in games against lower division teams in cup competitions. At the same time, when he was out for an extended period, Zabaleta improved enormously and earned the right to be considered our best RB. These things happen in football - Keith MacRae was our first choice 'keeper once upon a time, he got injured and that gave Joe Corrigan a chance, and Corrigan never looked back.

I suspect that the journalist in question has just lazily gone with his preconceptions and not bothered to check the facts. Not very impressive, though.
I was going to say the same, maybe not in as much detail. In summary he was first choice RB until we won our third title in 2012. He was then injured in the Olympics and never managed to re-establish himself due to further injuries and Zaba's form.

Last edited:
I was going to say the same, maybe not in as much detail. In summary he was first choice RB until we won our first title in 2012. He was then injured in the Olympics and never managed to re-establish himself due to further injuries and Zaba's form.

absolutely Spot on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.