Media coverage 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a shit show having all those ex Liverpool players on the panel. We should always have an ex City player On there when we’re playing.
Why?

I don’t really care who they have on. And Souness actually tells it how it is so that’s fine.

The thing to hold onto is this:
These ex rags and dippers are on because for the 80s and 90s they won the most trophies.
Fast forward a few years and it won’t be Careagher and Souness; it will be Vinny and Zab (or even Kev as I think he’d be a fantastic tell it how it is pundit)

Totally agree that there could have been more balance in terms of the teams the commentators played for.

That aside, I was surprised at how complimentary they were, especially Souness who was purring about us. Redknapp pretty much had a boner for five minutes towards the start of the show when they were discussing the Silva interview (like he usually does when Silva’s being discussed.)

Admittedly I can’t really understand Spitty so he might have said some nasty stuff. But I thought everyone else was on the money, even Neville.

I’m ready to get mauled, but it’s Sky - not MCFC TV. I think the punditry was very fair today.
I've seen them when Liverpool have won, much more positivity about the winning team, less emphasis on the losers ... Yeah they praise our players but they have no alternative. Its the dreary way they do it .

Barney Ronay said:
Sergio Agüero’s pageant directed by Manchester City’s Pep Guardiola

The manager’s majestic coaching skills are the guiding hand behind the spectacle produced by the striker against Chelsea

Something strange happened 12 minutes into the first half of what was, all things considered, a pretty strange kind of game. First there was a hush around the Etihad, then a gurgling sound, followed by an oddly sensual purr in the stands as the big screens showed the first replays of Sergio Agüero’s first goal in this 6-0 shellacking of Chelsea

Agüero had just put Manchester City 2-0 up and in effect killed the game. The moment stood on its own, though. Football crowds don’t often gasp. But then, they don’t often get to see goals like this. Taking the ball in a deep inside-left position, Agüero turned, jinked and shrugged away the attentions of Jorginho, a deep midfielder with all the gnarled defensive presence of a tea-sodden digestive biscuit.

Sergio Agüero hits hat-trick in Chelsea’s humiliation by Manchester City

The shot came without breaking stride, a right-foot spank that flew with a vicious certainty into the far top corner, and which seemed to defy physics as it did so, its trajectory totally flat, unhindered by gravity or drag. Had the net and the stand not been in its way Agüero’s shot would presumably still be flying at the same height and speed even now, arrowing over the hook of Cornwall, past the Bay of Biscay and off towards the south Atlantic

It was the enduring image of the day; or at least one of them, on an afternoon dominated also by the sight of Maurizio Sarri gesturing wildly at a group of Chelsea players who often seemed to be facing the other way, the Italian’s hands describing furious shapes in the air, at one moment puncturing an invisible water bed with a bread knife, at another performing the world’s angriest silent disco dance.

But then it wasn’t hard to pick out Agüero as the outstanding single figure on a day when Sarri‑ball met Sergio-ball with, as they say in movie outlines, hilarious consequences. Much will be written about his second hat-trick in eight days in the middle of a title chase. A neat close-range finish and a second‑half penalty took Agüero to 160 goals in the Premier League, and out in front now as City’s all time league top scorer.

With Raheem Sterling also playing with a beautiful sense of certainty, City were irresistible here. Albeit against opponents so dreadful their performance could prove fatal for Sarri’s attempts to buck the trend of disposable Chelsea managers.

There is an element of overlap to these two elements. Zoom out a little and it is the diversification in Agüero’s game that really leaps out, and which shines a light on both the supreme quality of Pep Guardiola’s coaching at this rarified level, and the clumsiness of Sarri, an arriviste among the A-listers, in his six months to date with Chelsea.

It is no secret that Agüero has changed under Guardiola, has found other gears and greater depths to his game. But then it has always been the model in kill-joy lazy thinking to dismiss Guardiola’s success as a bought success. For all the millions spent, this is manager who gets his real kicks from coaching, from finding something more in the players he has.

Guardiola will bridle at any suggestion he was ever less‑than‑sold on Agüero as the key attacking part in his vision of his City team. But the fact is Agüero has also expanded his palette, evolving from that comfortable status as a pure cutting edge and pre-existing hometown superstar, to a more rounded player now, perhaps even an all‑round attacker to match anyone in Europe. That second goal came from dropping deeper, filling the different spaces he finds now, alternating between No 10 and all-round playmaker and his established role as shark-like cutting edge. Agüero looks fitter and moves more freely. Here he was wheeling around constantly in search of the ball, gloved hands almost brushing the turf, the grey-rinse beacon at the front of this team.

The goals have been big goals, too, of late. Since November Agüero has eight in four against Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal and now Chelsea. Aged 30, seven seasons and three managers in his time at City, Agüero has become the de facto on-field leader of this team.

It is the kind of feat Guardiola has enacted elsewhere, an ability to improve existing superstar players that makes for a slightly cruel contrast with Sarri’s own fumbling at Chelsea. It has become a cliche to state that playing N’Golo Kanté out of position is like using a diamond tiepin to stir a pot of paint, that Jorginho, for all his talents, is being chewed to pieces by the Premier League in that central role. But it is also true that a clash of personnel and systems still looks unsolved, unfixed and probably terminal now.

As Agüero came off on 64 minutes he walked close to Sarri, who half‑turned in a pained but gracious acknowledgement of what the league’s outstanding central attacker had just done to his team.

City have three winnable games now, followed by a trip to Old Trafford and Spurs at home, as they look to enact that perfect run to the wire. Whatever happens from here the change in Agüero, that softening into a pure asset, no longer chafing against but adapting to every part of the Pep system, is a lesson in high-level team-building.

City may or may not go on to win the title. But it seems certain the run to the line will have Agüero’s name written right through it.

Not often there a such a positive article..... oh sorry, taken from https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...r-city-pep-guardiola-chelsea?CMP=share_btn_tw

Maybe because Souness is more detached from Liverpool than Carragher, he can be more objective. He left on bad terms and burned his bridges there so he's not really as much of a Liverpool guy as Carragher. The latter looked a little worried tonight.
JC looked Traumatised .la.

I don't do punditry, but when a wonder goal is scored, or we've spanked someone, I'll give it a watch.
That panel/commentators today, was as irrelevant as possible to the day's matches
Souness, dipper
Carragher, dipper
Redknapp, ex dipper
Neville, Rag.
Where was Lampard or even SWP "for a foot in both camps" outlook. No. The punter MUST have the wisdom of a Rag/Dipper foisted upon them, simply because we must be told about what's been going on by players from those clubs. Why not an Arsenal man, or an Evertonian?

You look at streams from other countries
USA Use Robbies Earle and Mustoe, and a Yank
The Indian ones use Townshend, and even Terry Phelan and Mark Seagraves for European nights. Barely a rag or dipper in sight, and I'm grateful for it
Nailed it.Bang on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.