Media Discussion - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a 'football person' and that was a nailed on penalty in any era of the game.
The ball was heading for the net. It would have been a penalty 20 years ago. Compare it with Grealish in the Cup Final. Jack had his back turned, it was on the corner of the penalty area, and the ball was moving away from goal.

To be fair, I agree with much of what he said. We do pass the ball too much at times, much of it sideways and in front of opposing defences. Phil did take the game by the scruff of the neck and make us drive forward with more intent. Even Pep agreed that we won the game because we upped the tempo and got the ball around faster, much of that was Fodens doing. We have won everything by our passing game but sometimes when teams become wise to it we need other options to avoid being one dimensional. If you would have asked me are we winning the league after the first half, I'd say no chance. But after that second half, it's on.
The sideways passing is by design. We do it to drag the opposition out of position and it’s mentally and Physically draining on them. As soon as we have created the relevant space we then go for the forward passes between the lines we’ve created due to the sideways passing.
Sure, it might not be exciting for the crowd when we are being patient in possession but we don’t do it to please opposing fans and journalists, we do it to win trophies.
Which we do, in abundance whilst being noted by the vast majority as the best team in the world.

The sideways passing is by design. We do it to drag the opposition out of position and it’s mentally and Physically draining on them. As soon as we have created the relevant space we then go for the forward passes between the lines we’ve created due to the sideways passing.
Sure, it might not be exciting for the crowd when we our being patient in possession but we don’t do it to please opposing fans and journalists, we do it to win trophies.
Which we do, in abundance whilst being noted by the vast majority as the best team in the world.
Yes I know why we pass side to side, but it only works when you eventually get a meaningful chance or goal out of it. Usually that is done by suddenly increasing the tempo, or finding a through ball that opens the defence, both of which require the opposing team to be caught out by this happening.

Unfortunately teams become wise to the tactic and will often sit back and narrow to stop the final piece of the attack taking place. What we have done through our relative bad patch is to just keep recycling the ball to the point where we don't look like being able to score, or we get caught out on the counter attack.

What we did yesterday in the second half was, up the pace and get the ball forward and out wide faster, this caused Everton problems (and would do the same to any team trying to nullify our usual tactics).

There is absolutely a time and a place for side to side and triangular passing patterns, but when it is being nullified there has to be an alternative, last night we did that, often this season we haven't.

Just seen Hayley the Rag on Sly Sports
Mithering Dermott Gallager
abouts lasts penalty
She tries her best to get him to agree it was Harsh and fails!
Well done Ragess !!

Just seen Hayley the Rag on Sly Sports
Mithering Dermott Gallager
abouts lasts penalty
She tries her best to get him to agree it was Harsh and fails!
Well done Ragess !!

I am really struggling with this it was a clear penalty. What next it's only a penalty if the players catches it ?....which he nearly did yesterday lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.