Media Discussion - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Football people?" Martinez definitely isn't one of them - had the best group of Belgian players ever and won fuck all.

View attachment 102564
I'll not forget when on punditry duty about ten years ago, Martinez said (paraphrased), "The linesmen did well not to flag there", as Villa scored an offside goal to beat us 3-2 at their place. Such is the level of even-handedness he applies to us.

One of my pet hates is former professional footballers placing themselves on a pedestal by claiming only they can see and understand certain aspects of football. It's nonsense. We have been football fans all our lives. We have watched hundreds, maybe thousands of games. We know the laws, often better than the players. We don't need the likes of him condescending to tell us what we clearly know for ourselves.

If it was so simple, why does the panel of former professional players often disagree on contentious VAR decisions, or pundits have different opinions on summary shows.

I'll not forget when on punditry duty about ten years ago, Martinez said (paraphrased), "The linesmen did well not to flag there", as Villa scored an offside goal to beat us 3-2 at their place. Such is the level of even-handedness he applies to us.

One of my pet hates is former professional footballers placing themselves on a pedestal by claiming only they can see and understand certain aspects of football. It's nonsense. We have been football fans all our lives. We have watched hundreds, maybe thousands of games. We know the laws, often better than the players. We don't need the likes of him condescending to tell us what we clearly know for ourselves.

If it was so simple, why does the panel of former professional players often disagree on contentious VAR decisions, or pundits have different opinions on summary shows.
Proper gets my mad up this. Someone rifles it in to top bins on a half volley and its... 'the technique is so difficult to master and takes years of training and dedication. You have to be at the top of your game to even think about trying that'.

See goals like that every week in every division including Sunday League.

Ian Brightwell... 'I just wellied it' - there you go. That's all that needs saying.

In fairness, a few years back, when Liverpool and the World's greatest ever centre half was injured against Everton in a clash that took place after the offside flag shouod have been raised, it was hardly ever mentioned again.
Maybe we should all start foaming at the mouth like the dippers did and issue death threats against that Portuguese lad whose name I have already forgotten. (Disclaimer for the benefit of all the gutter rat journos readingthis thread: clearly I am joking).
Has Carragher said anything about the penalty, because I remember one game when Richards was prone the ground, the ball rolled up his body and caught his arm. Totally accidental, but I'm sure spitty was one of a number of their players screaming for a penalty with the crowd, which they were duly awarded.

The ball was heading for the net. It would have been a penalty 20 years ago. Compare it with Grealish in the Cup Final. Jack had his back turned, it was on the corner of the penalty area, and the ball was moving away from goal.
was it Bale who crossed the ball and hit Sterling on the back, result, penalty for Spurs.

Tyldesley pissed me off last night, shoe horning in that Tarkowski was a rag. What the feck had it to do with the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.