Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll raise you.
4 Carabao Cups on the run.
2 PL and FA Cup doubles
The English treble in one season.
The English Quadruple in one season.
3 PL Titles on the run.
The proper Treble. Just to be clear, THE PROPER TREBLE.
5 trophies in 1 calendar year.The FA Cup, the PL title, the Champions League trophy, the Super Cup, the World Club Champions trophy
100 PL Points.
Erm…..

Yeah but if Klopp had that extra 400m to spend he would won all that

Heard a bit of Ornstein being interviewed by Darren whatsisname on 5 live earlier. Caught my ear because the tone of discussion seemed different to what I’d heard before. First time some acknowledgment that the current system of profit & loss rules is ‘unfair’ for all clubs and that it stops responsible and solvent owners who are ambitious and want to invest big from breaking into the elite.

Maybe it’s because apparently it’s the reason arsenal can’t afford a top class striker this Jan, or united are limited in spending, but for whatever reason, it’s the first time I’ve heard both presenter and journalist agree the current rules are unfair.

Sounds like you are proposing closed shop/no relegation and a salary cap
Salary cap would be genuinely fair wouldn't it....definitely relegation...and maybe 18 team league. If we were to start the league again you would probably want an equal chance for all 18 teams at the start of the season. When you look at league tables in the 50's - 70's there were so many close seasons...the winners typically lost a lot of games..probably a lot of seasons were decided in last week or two..not as dramatic as AUGGGGG bur genuinely must have been better for fans of football..

Heard a bit of Ornstein being interviewed by Darren whatsisname on 5 live earlier. Caught my ear because the tone of discussion seemed different to what I’d heard before. First time some acknowledgment that the current system of profit & loss rules is ‘unfair’ for all clubs and that it stops responsible and solvent owners who are ambitious and want to invest big from breaking into the elite.

Maybe it’s because apparently it’s the reason arsenal can’t afford a top class striker this Jan, or united are limited in spending, but for whatever reason, it’s the first time I’ve heard both presenter and journalist agree the current rules are unfair.
It’s unfair now because City make the most money and can therefore spend more

Damning indictment for the overall quality of the PL for me if that is the current best XI.

That team would get utterly torn apart by the La Liga XI and Bundesliga XI. Even the Serie A XI would give that side a game.
City would fuckin shit em ;-)

Yeah, but Pep hasn’t “rebuilt his midfield” or had to put up with the constraints of only being able to break world record transfer fees every few years, because his foreign owners are only smaller billionaires!!
Yes, Klopp is indeed handicapped.
But by the fact that the Boston Red Sox is the focal point for the Fenway Sports Group.
It's amazing how many media people ignore the fact that for the majority of American-owned clubs, British "soccer" is just a cash-cow.
Think even Wrexham was seen as a gamble worth taking, as their return to the Football League would be a Cinderella story, so loads of positive publicity that couldn't be replicated in America...

It was ever thus! The Red Top clubs flourished because they had the richest backers. Blackburn only came on the scene because of a very rich backer. Clubs like Barca, Real, Juve and Bayern will always be backed to the hilt.

FFP or any control is a huge restriction of trade. Theonly way your idea might work if you have a closed shop and franchise system like the NFL.

And somehow the imbeciles running clubs like Villa, Spurs, Everton, et al all voted for it! How could they not see it would keep them shit forever? Did it never occur to these clubs that they might be able to get a rich owner and actually try and win things?

It was ever thus! The Red Top clubs flourished because they had the richest backers. Blackburn only came on the scene because of a very rich backer. Clubs like Barca, Real, Juve and Bayern will always be backed to the hilt.

FFP or any control is a huge restriction of trade. Theonly way your idea might work if you have a closed shop and franchise system like the NFL.
Of course, the wealthiest wins mostly. Good example Aston Villa early success Scottish wealthy benefactor., Arsenal bank of England club enticed Chapman from Huddersfield with the promises of huge transfer kitty. It always has been this way but it doesn't make it a great league. FFP only brought in when the red tops lost control of the league but it definitely came too late. It wasn't good for the rest in the '70's when Liverpool were buying the likes of Ray Kennedy from Arsenal. I mean who else could buy one of the best young players in the country from another top club!!! Only Liverpool could pay that sort of money then. Got to be a better way than the wealthiest just winning really. Definitely keep relegation though, just make it fairer for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.