Media Discussion - 2023/24

Was listening to the “Two Robbies” podcast this morning by Robbie Mustoe and Earle who are part of the US broadcast crew. Tim Howard was filling in for Mustoe today. A couple really complementary things.

1. Regarding Gvardiol, “Not huge money. I mean, he was available for everybody out there.” I’ve always thought he got way too much crap for being so expensive…when I felt like it was the market had demanded these prices of late. Funny also because the Guardian podcast I listened to after talked about how high his price was!

2. They talk about getting the team sheets before the match and if any other team doesn’t have in their “best IX” they assume it will be a struggle. But re City,
“It doesn't matter. We always say, this is a city team that is strong as it could be.
And no other team in the Premier League can do that. And so they go from strength to strength, and it's such a luxury to be able to implement players into starting life, not like, oh, this guy's a little bit older and he might not be able to get about. No matter what team they play, it's the strongest team.”

3. And a bit on the culture:
“But the history making of what this team do, and there's something that's always stuck with me about Manchester City, and Pep, is for all the success in any game they've ever played, at whatever situation it is, I've never once seen a Manchester City player showboat. I've never seen a Manchester City player go for nutmegs. I've never seen a Manchester City start the old ways.
It's almost like that isn't in them. That's not what they're about. Other teams do that, and other teams have their moments, and you see people go for the nutmegs and sort of having a little laugh.
It's almost like he's taking his team above that level. That's OK, guys. That doesn't win you anything.”

And the best,
“You talk about culture that Manchester United don't have. Manchester City have it, and Pep is incessant on trying to make sure his players are right. And I love it.”
Those two are best in class - for sure.
They just say it as they see it. No bias, agenda’s or snidey digs. It shows it can be done.

Those two are best in class - for sure.
They just say it as they see it. No bias, agenda’s or snidey digs. It shows it can be done.
I assume it’s because they want US audience to grow - so there is a lot of joy/excitement in all their content. They make it feel fun, which maybe seems to juvenile in the UK? When I first started watching football, I consumed everything from Men in Blazers and NBC, then wanted something a bit more nuanced and went to the Guardian and some UK based sources and then made my way to the more City focused sources and this site. Now, I almost find myself back reading some of the more “juvenile” US content because I like having that joy and excitement back (and Im more aware of City biases).

I find the comments like John Crace above to be very odd. It appears it's ok to love our club and have a laugh at us if we're underdogs and winning nothing. As for us becoming a footballing mega corps, the whole of football is heading down that road, so don't pin that only on us - and you only have to look at the clowns across town to see how a supposed 'mega club' has been managed by their owners. And that's the difference, we have a top quality management team in place, have had a very clear plan, followed it and then spent our money wisely, unlike many others who have made crap decisions, blown their cash and now woman and moan at us.

Having followed us for 55 years now, I am not bloated on success. Far from it, in fact 'typical city' is probably in-grained in a lot of us FOC's.....I expect nothing and I'm very happy when we win things. You look back at some of the cock-ups we've had in our past and maybe you do miss some of that chaos and self-depreciating humour. I enjoy this period like you wouldn't believe but I also know we're only as good as our last game. It could all end tomorrow. So yes John, I do think City deserve everything we've got - our club, management and players have changed the way football is played in this country. So just for once acknowledge the fact our club is run pretty well.
I was surprised at Crace's recent comments
Liew has deleted his twitter account. What's gone on there then?
Perhaps aggers has caught up with him

Liew has always struck me as far smarter than the most of his Whatsapp cohort,...

Genuinely, surprised by this assessment. I wouldn't even have him in the top three intellects at the Guardian sports desk. (Conn, Wilson and possibly, Ronay all being brighter than him).
Nothing in Mr. Liew's output has ever struck me me as being of much more than average intelligence. Of course, that wouldn't necessarily contradict your statement quoted above.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.