Media Discussion - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was
He can’t take the ball on the half turn, hides when we have possession & is very limited in his passing but he can run box to box. Hes fortunate Jorginho stopped him looking a waste of money but never a 6.
There was a moment last night when someone had the ball, may have been stones, looking for a pass and Rice was stood behind a Spanish player, when there was acres of space in behind the Spaniard and he just stood there like a dummy

There was

There was a moment last night when someone had the ball, may have been stones, looking for a pass and Rice was stood behind a Spanish player, when there was acres of space in behind the Spaniard and he just stood there like a dummy
It was a common thing through all England games that the DM's whoever they were weren't skilled/good enough to create the angles that Rodders does on his own for us and they just used the tactic of running towards Stones etc and standing in front of him, it actually made it worse than staying where they were.

It was a common thing through all England games that the DM's whoever they were weren't skilled/good enough to create the angles that Rodders does on his own for us and they just used the tactic of running towards Stones etc and standing in front of him, it actually made it worse than staying where they were.

I wouldn’t mind, they played with a double pivot which gave an extra option to take the ball. The personnel in front of the defence were static. There wasn’t much pattern to play and where people were running to, everything was static. Thank fuck Pep has a few of the players starting back for preseason so we don’t have to suffer this shite football from here till May.

The one player I've seen who potentially can do that role is Wharton. Admittedly i've only seen him a few times, but when i have he's levels above Rice in his receiving the ball and ability to look forwards, genuinely looked super talented.

Lee Dixon last night was right at it. Walker made an unbelievable overlap into a really dangerous position and Saka completely ignored him, came inside and lost the ball. Dixons first comment was to blame Walker and big up Saka. Its like listening to kids in the bloody playground its that childish.
I was watching BBC and Alan Shearer absolutely tore into Saka for not passing to Walker at that moment. A chance to score was lost the as soon as Saka turned into the Spanish defence, refusing the chance to feed Walker in space out wide.

This was a cameo that, for me at any rate, summed up the whole English experience at Euros24.

We started with a squad littered with several players eager to play on the front foot, capable of a higher speed passing game, of working as a unit to press the opposition, make opportunities to score, to take the game TO the opposition rather than get penned back (and there could've been more of such players had Captain Waistcoat taken the likes of Grealish with him)

But we also had the rest of the squad seemingly incapable of spotting the opportunities to pass or to make a run, incapable of doing what top teams (and yes, I DO mean City) actually do. Just as Saka did last night in that instant, not doing the right thing in getting Walker to the goal line and turning the Spanish defence.

Game after game, this repeatedly resulted in our keeper and back four becoming more and more isolated from midfield and attack, not so much in terms of distance but because midfield and attack became increasingly reluctant to do the running to link and develop play, be creative.

The longer games went on, the deeper we dropped and the more it became a case of waiting for someone, anyone to provide a bit of individual magic to get us going or back into a game.. if we were lucky.

And don't get me started on the whole 'square pegs in round holes' thing.. even last night we still had Foden trying to be the attacking midfielder (at last!) while spending a lot of his time with the extra duty of cutting off the Spanish supply to Rodri (which he did quite well.. but all at the expense of his main job, ie to create..)

It simply wasn't good enough from the start of the tournament.. and the blame for the complete mismanagement of the best squad, together with the best competition draw we've had in decades, lies at the feet of Captain Waistcoat, nobody else.

Last edited:
The one player I've seen who potentially can do that role is Wharton. Admittedly i've only seen him a few times, but when i have he's levels above Rice in his receiving the ball and ability to look forwards, genuinely looked super talented.
Be interesting to see how he develops and where he is this time next year.

I did not know that much about him until our trip to Selhurst Park and he really stood out that day. Seeing him live, his positioning, desire for the ball, control etc was really impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.