Media Discussion - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
My knickers don't need untwisting. You said we had been handed a brand new stadium, we weren't. It was a good deal for us, that I fully accept but we had to put a huge amount of money into it ourselves to make it into a stadium.

The 'fabulous' deal for City's home​

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/c72gy4wnvzpo

"Former Manchester City chairman David Bernstein has been talking to the 'We're Not Really Here' podcast on the deal he made to buy Manchester City's stadium.

One of the key factors in the deal was he told the council "it has to be a blue stadium," and he ended up with a deal where the City Council and Sport England "had to bear the bulk of the cost".

"It was the envy of football, how could City have done this? This amazing deal for a fantastic stadium, but it hardly cost them anything!"

David Bernstein

You're being pedantic, the City of Manchester Stadium was designed specifically for conversion to a football stadium. A successful two-stage design approach enabled the stadium to meet its initial requirements as an athletics venue, before adaptation for its permanent use for football. The Etihad is indistinguishable from a purpose built football stadium, that was always the intention.

You want to see an athletics stadium masquerading as a football stadium? Get yourself down to West Ham.
Don’t get your knickers in a twist, I’m only pointing out that an athletic stadium isn’t a brand new football stadium and my statement is 100% right, I’m not talking about the nuances of how much we got it for and so on.

My knickers don't need untwisting. You said we had been handed a brand new stadium, we weren't. It was a good deal for us, that I fully accept but we had to put a huge amount of money into it ourselves to make it into a stadium.
Including Maine Rd being given to the council. Can’t remember what value was put on it - £25-£30m?

And as part of the deal City had to accept a mortgage deal based on attendance figures. Was it something like over 36k in there whereby the council collected 50% of any seat sales above that figure? My memory is a bit cloudy of the payment system but it was all settled by Sheikh Mansour when he bought the club. What I do recall is that player recruitment was based on loans, frees or cheap and performances reflected that and the takeover came just in time for us.
If City got 35,000 (the capacity of Maine Road) they would pay no rent. It was on a sliding scale for higher crowds.

I suspect if Stuart Pearce had stayed in charge for another season that City would have played rent-free at COMS.

If City got 35,000 (the capacity of Maine Road) they would pay no rent. It was on a sliding scale for higher crowds.

I suspect if Stuart Pearce had stayed in charge for another season that City would have played rent-free at COMS.
And win-free! :(

Surely they'd have been giving us refunds. Which given how bad we were under Pearce, should have gone to the poor buggers who paid for season tickets.

Bloody SSN are running the same video clip from yesterday featuring Screech at the rags training camp banging on about the 100,000 stadium "for the people of the North", they've also got Andy Cole there trotting out the same crap. I've seen their other paid shills using the same exact wording as Cole which shows that they've all been given the same script to read off. They're really trying to set the narrative that they're only doing this to benefit everybody and not just the rags. Expect further news of them pushing for government(i.e. us) funding soon.

I suspect if Stuart Pearce had stayed in charge for another season that City would have played rent-free
I thought it was a peppercorn rent with the council taking a percentage of any seats over 35,000 but you may be right. I think it's important to remember that other teams were also offered the chance. Too small for the rags, unrealistic for anyone else. The stadium wouldn't have been built without a Tennant being agreed? Council didn’t want a white elephant rotting away like other athletics venues in the past? Great deal for City but Manchester hosted a successful Games and got some further revenue after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.