Media Discussion - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Detector vans were fake to scare people, I'm not sure anyone believed them, but pretend they were real, do you think they could tell the difference between a few feet? The COVID app couldn't in 2020 never mind 1980.

The main method of detection was always looking through the window, then they had a database of everyone who had bought a telly and used that as well. It was then assumed that everyone has a telly.
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxCtyGgDXD904XrlGjqsplIvPCH-9LKD82Hahahahaha detector vans reminds me of this from Dave allen.. hmmm don’t know why that hasn’t loaded correctly .

Detector vans were fake to scare people, I'm not sure anyone believed them, but pretend they were real, do you think they could tell the difference between a few feet? The COVID app couldn't in 2020 never mind 1980.

The main method of detection was always looking through the window, then they had a database of everyone who had bought a telly and used that as well. It was then assumed that everyone has a telly.
They weren't fake. They picked up on the Local Oscillator that the TV set itself generates to demodulate the signal. The LO frequency is different for each channel, so they could detect what channel you were watching. It wasn't that amazing technology really, just needed a directional low noise receiver. They only worked for the analogue TV signals so wouldn't work with modern set top boxes.

I don't blame people for not paying the licence though, especially now you're far less likely to get caught!

Now im not saying the detector vans were real, but back in the days of the old tube based TVs, with the right bit of kit it was fairly easy to tell if someone had a tv and even see what they were watching. Not a chance with modern TVs though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.