Media Discussion - 2023/24

At the end of half time, in SS level 1, there was about 25-30 young lads singing ‘Bobby in a box’ and ‘jelly and ice cream when Bobby dies’ and jumping around dancing. The match had already started at that point, and there wasn’t too many people around to see it. But I think they may sit in block 115. They all looked pretty young and pretty drunk. At some point in the second half in SS level 1, about 100+ people sang ‘Bobby in a box’ but didn’t get it going fully. They tried on a couple of occasions though and I’ve a feeling it was the same group of lads starting it.

Now, although I don’t condone those chants, as I think it’s distatesful like you say. I find it very hard to believe, the club would ban people for singing a song, which isn’t racist or homophobic, just distatesful. We literally sing many songs that could be classed as distasteful, and have for decades. Often these songs are sung with a hint of banter, a hint of fishing to get a rise out of our competition and sometimes due to hatred. How are fans supposed to know what songs could now result in a ban? Are the club going to look at our entire array of songs now and tell us what we can and can’t sing? What’s classed as too far and what isn’t? Will the PL look at this across the country?

I don’t want City or football to become a place for massive snowflakes, offended by everything, where they hand out bans, like sweets. If you go to a football match and you’re easily offended, going to the games might be a bit stressful.

The UK sports media do there very best to vilify our fanbase, so I’m not surprised we’re seeing articles that suggest, the whole stadium was singing songs. They will do absolutely anything to tarnish our name. As you say, as a club we’ve played right into their hands by even suggesting we will ban people. As we’ll have to do it now and it opens up a can of worms which might result in some crazy shit over the next 10 years.
So you think this was sung as a bit of banter?? And anyone who condems it are snowflakes?? As that is the context you have placed on the chants. I know this kind of thing happens at every ground , but I think things have moved on. People need to grow up, this kind of thing only damages the club.

At the end of half time, in SS level 1, there was about 25-30 young lads singing ‘Bobby in a box’ and ‘jelly and ice cream when Bobby dies’ and jumping around dancing. The match had already started at that point, and there wasn’t too many people around to see it. But I think they may sit in block 115. They all looked pretty young and pretty drunk. At some point in the second half in SS level 1, about 100+ people sang ‘Bobby in a box’ but didn’t get it going fully. They tried on a couple of occasions though and I’ve a feeling it was the same group of lads starting it.

The UK sports media do there very best to vilify our fanbase, so I’m not surprised we’re seeing articles that suggest, the whole stadium was singing songs. I’m sure other areas of the ground had no idea, and even areas of the SS would’ve had no idea. But the media will do absolutely anything to tarnish our name. As you say, as a club we’ve played right into their hands by even suggesting we will ban people. As we’ll have to do it now and it opens up a can of worms which might result in some crazy shit, over the next 10 years.

Now, although I don’t condone those chants, as I think it’s distatesful, like you say. I find it very hard to believe, the club should ban people for singing a song, which isn’t racist or homophobic, just distatesful. We literally sing many songs that could be classed as distasteful, and have for decades. Often these songs are sung with a hint of banter, a hint of fishing to get a rise out of our competition and sometimes due to stupidity. I’m sure these lads now regret it and I’m sure they feel pretty stupid, I’m certain had they known this would happen, they would not have done it.

If we ban these people now, there’s a lot of questions to be answered. How are fans supposed to know what songs can result in a ban? Are the club going to look at our entire array of songs and tell us what we can and can’t sing? Are they going to tell us if using certain words will result in a ban? What’s classed as too far and what isn’t?

I don’t want City or football, to become a place for massive snowflakes, offended by everything, where they hand out bans, like sweets. If you go to a football match and you’re easily offended, going to the games might be a bit stressful for you.
Ffs, 100 + now

Not just the media who tarnish our name!

Block 115, well I never!

So you think this was sung as a bit of banter?? And anyone who condems it are snowflakes?? As that is the context you have placed on the chants. I know this kind of thing happens at every ground , but I think things have moved on. People need to grow up, this kind of thing only damages the club.
We seem to apologise now just for being City fans, just as the media want us to.
Yes every fan base as idiots YET they are only interested in Manchester City's

Condemn away - no one is denying you the right to be unhappy/ upset / offended. Just not sure this sort of distasteful nonsense is worth banning things or people for.

We seem to apologise now just for being City fans, just as the media want us to.
Yes every fan base as idiots YET they are only interested in Manchester City's
The club said a small minority. They should have said a very small minority or number.

I just don't see this as the same as the snivelling stuff the club came out with when they effectively bracketed our fans as the same as the scousers.

The club said a small minority. They should have said a very small minority or number.

I just don't see this as the same as the snivelling stuff the club came out with when they effectively bracketed our fans as the same as the scousers.
Exactly this

Condemn away - no one is denying you the right to be unhappy/ upset / offended. Just not sure this sort of distasteful nonsense is worth banning things or people for.
May be maybe not. I supose I wasn't commenting on the possible bans. But people on here trying to put some of the blame on the club when the damage has been done by some dickheads is a bit of stretch to my mind.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.