Media discussion - 2024/25

One for the Super Senior FOC's:

Not someone who many will know but Henry Cockburn from Ashton who played for the Rags was an old bowling mate of my Dad's going back a good few years. My Dad said he was a lovely fella, played cricket for Ashton as well.

He used to go in the Navigation at Dob Cross, the Landlord Ian Gibson said they were going to a footballing Sportsman's dinner in Leeds (probably mid to late 80's from memory) and Henry asked if he could bring a mate along, no problem said Ian saying he'd pay for them both as Cockburn wasn't a wealthy man despite playing pro football including appearances for England. They were meeting at the Navi and getting a coach to the venue. Henry turned up with his mate, Stanley Matthews, the locals were just gobsmacked.

Ian said when they got there, Matthews, Cockburn, Mortenson and others were hugging each other like long lost family, he said it was one of the most emotion things he'd ever seen.
Great shout Hammo ,
One for the Super Senior FOC's:

Not someone who many will know but Henry Cockburn from Ashton who played for the Rags was an old bowling mate of my Dad's going back a good few years. My Dad said he was a lovely fella, played cricket for Ashton as well.

He used to go in the Navigation at Dob Cross, the Landlord Ian Gibson said they were going to a footballing Sportsman's dinner in Leeds (probably mid to late 80's from memory) and Henry asked if he could bring a mate along, no problem said Ian saying he'd pay for them both as Cockburn wasn't a wealthy man despite playing pro football including appearances for England. They were meeting at the Navi and getting a coach to the venue. Henry turned up with his mate, Stanley Matthews, the locals were just gobsmacked.

Ian said when they got there, Matthews, Cockburn, Mortenson and others were hugging each other like long lost family, he said it was one of the most emotion things he'd ever seen.
Great shout Hammo , Henry ended up in a care home in Mossley and would often come over to the Highland Laddie for half a bitter and a bag of minstrels .
He had his own seat and if anybody was sat in it when he came in they would immediately vacate it .
Obviously he was in the twilight of his life but he was still a character , if you were in the toilets having a leak he would come in and tackle you from behind, he’d also ask if you were still playing praising you saying what a good footballer you were. Didn’t have the heart to tell only got as far as the Hyde and district .
He was fondly thought of by all the customers red and blue alike.
Many of the customers went to his funeral and the family came to the pub to thank the regulars for looking after him when he came in for a drink , it was our pleasure .
They don’t make them like that anymore .

Bought a car off David Herd in 82 I think is was. It was the new style Cortina and was a minter. One of his salesmen sold it to me and I was going to pick it up the next day. Herd rang me up a bit pissed off, as he had promised it to a mate, but as the deal had been done he honoured it. Gave me great pleasure to let him know I was a blue...

Something and somebody who has surprised me is Bruno Fernandez. Now I detest the little rat faced twat on the field, but post match, even if they lose, he always gives credit to the opposition, even us and comes across as okay. Bizarre.

They’d rather ingratiate themselves to the rags…….more media opportunities

I do think that this is a big part of it but it's also ego. If you played for Stoke and you constantly go on international TV and tell people how Stoke are the biggest and best club in the world with the best fans and stadium and that only the very best footballers get the rarefied opportunity to play for such a fantastic club then you're implicitly wanking yourself off.

That’s hilarious…

I actually thought to myself I didn’t even know there was words….

Anyway there’s 2 versions.

City’s
Booooooooooooooooo!

Atlantas
Ce sont les meilleures équipes

Es sind die allerbesten Mannschaften

The main event

Die Meister

Die Besten

Les grandes équipes

The champions

Une grande réunion

Eine grosse sportliche Veranstaltung

The main event

Die Meister

Die Besten

Les grandes équipes

The champions

Ils sont les meilleurs

Sie sind die Besten

These are the champions

Die Meister

Die Besten

Les grandes équipes

The champions
I think wed to orchestrate that in the South Stand - let's stick to boooo!.........

Bit like the yanks calling it the world series and the super Bowl world champs, its all a load of bollocks.
at least with the world series it has a legitimate reason as it was named after a newspaper called the world, the super bowl world champs and champs league are complete pish tho

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.