Media discussion - 2024/25

The headline on the BBC website is really extraordinary, if you take even a second to think about it. It says: “Liverpool reclaim top spot”.
Nota bene: reclaim.
Now I've just checked all the tables, match after match, and apart from the end of the first day, we were not top, but neither were Liverpool. Since then, we've been top until the end of Liverpool's match last night. In short, Liverpool Football Club have not been top at any point this season.

And in fact, unless I'm very much mistaken, they have not been top for months and months, since either Arsenal or ourselves were top for the latter part of last season.
Perhaps I'm being as paranoid as the Spanish Inquisition. But I strongly object to this kind of rhetoric, which is insidious, and is designed to plant unconsciously in people's minds (not just dippers, for whom it is literally an article of faith, anyway) that Liverpool's rightful position — it is in the order of nature, it is natural — is to be at the top of the table. Like a king who has been temporarily deposed, and who is now reclaiming his rightful throne. Or like an invading power reclaiming land that they consider was once theirs, and is inalienably so.
They are not fucking reclaiming anything!! If we go top (or Arsenal), that is exactly what it says, i.e. “City go top”, “Arsenal go top”. And that is quite right. The term is neutral, and factual.
This might seem like a rant and (I suppose) it is, but there is a lot of this knee-jerk rhetoric around Liverpool F.C. on the part of the media, and I just grow weary of it.
Even the choice of the term “claim” would speak volumes. You claim something that is rightfully and naturally yours. It is not a neutral verb. It is rhetorical. And reclaim indicates that you are taking back what was unlawfully taken from you.
The media have their tongue so far up LFC's backside it's not funny.

Just sayin’…

The headline on the BBC website is really extraordinary, if you take even a second to think about it. It says: “Liverpool reclaim top spot”.
Now I've just checked all the tables, match after match, and apart from the end of the first day, we were not top, but neither were Liverpool. Since then, we've been top until the end of Liverpool's match last night. In short, Liverpool Football Club have not been top at any point this season.

And in fact, unless I'm very much mistaken, they have not been top for months and months, since either Arsenal or ourselves were top for the latter part of last season.
Perhaps I'm being as paranoid as the Spanish Inquisition. But I strongly object to this kind of rhetoric, which is insidious, and is designed to plant unconsciously in people's minds (not just dippers, for whom it is literally an article of faith, anyway) that Liverpool's rightful position — it is in the order of nature, it is natural — is to be at the top of the table. Like a king who has been temporarily deposed, and who is now reclaiming his rightful throne. Or like an invading power reclaiming land that they consider was once theirs, and is inalienably so.
They are not fucking reclaiming anything!! If we go top (or Arsenal), that is exactly what it says, i.e. “City go top”, “Arsenal go top”. And that is quite right. The term is neutral, and factual.
This might seem like a rant and (I suppose) it is, but there is a lot of this knee-jerk rhetoric around Liverpool F.C. on the part of the media, and I just grow weary of it.
Even the choice of the term “claim” would speak volumes. You claim something that is rightfullly and naturally yours. It is not a neutral verb. It is rhetorical. And reclaim indicates that you are taking back what was unlawfully taken from you.

Just sayin’…
I applaud you Sir for so eloquently stating what the true state of Dipper biased reporting media is in this country. And no, you are most certainly NOT paranoid, it is like this all of the time and subtlety influences readers/ viewers. I've seen it with my hub, who isn't really a PL fan ( supports our own non league team), he is very astute about most things in life, but tends to believe and quote back to me the shite he sees and hears in the media about the so called 'top teams'. It will take generations to change. The culture is inbred that the Red Cartel teams are the 'rightful' best teams in England and belong at the top of the PL....

Even the choice of the term “claim” would speak volumes. You claim something that is rightfully and naturally yours. It is not a neutral verb. It is rhetorical. And reclaim indicates that you are taking back what was unlawfully taken from you.

Just sayin’…
It's the way the media work. Facts are generally irrelevant. As you say, it's the rhetoric that does a job!

Just sayin’…
It’s the way it’s always been. To these writers, they know where the clicks come from so fawn over their ‘history’ clubs, lifting them up to a higher level than others.

I do wonder though, will United ‘reclaim’ their 8th place position this afternoon?

It’s the way it’s always been. To these writers, they know where the clicks come from so fawn over their ‘history’ clubs, lifting them up to a higher level than others.

I do wonder though, will United ‘reclaim’ their 8th place position this afternoon?
Even if they fail to 'reclaim' their rightful 8th place they will undoubtedly have turned a corner.

Just sayin’…
Not just the headline

The first line of the report claims that Salah's penalty "sent Liverpool back" to the top.

I can only guess that the reporter is a Liverpool fan who considers it their divine right to be top.

Just sayin’…
watch the documentary on Netflix about the miners' strike (called Strike), see how the BBC totally misreported the battle of Orgreave (made out out the dibble were the victims), they've always been cunts and there are proper parallels in the way they report about the red wankers and city.

Not just the headline

The first line of the report claims that Salah's penalty "sent Liverpool back" to the top.

I can only guess that the reporter is a Liverpool fan who considers it their divine right to be top.
They’re all over the media.
But they never say that Liverpool may add to their ONE PL title in 32 years !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.