Media discussion - 2024/25

There are some right posh fucks on BM

They went to a school that taught Latin !!!
My school just about taught English.
The teachers spent most of their time breaking fights up.

Latin, nothi posh.

Didn't all schools teach Latin bitd? Mine did, but I wasn't bright enough. Only top sets could do it. I went to a standard comprehensive (Moorside High)

I started grammar school in 74 a year after they finished teaching Latin, happy days. I was under the impression that you needed Latin to study medicine back in the day.

I did Latin and got a U in my 16+ exam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was convinced to take it in Year 2 (now Year 8) cos I did well in an end of year exam.
I knew it was the wrong choice after about a week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You lot never did Homeric Greek in Classical Studies? Dragged up you lot were.

Seriously though, Latin (et al) was challenging for me. Never took it seriously.

The bbc do an article that mainoo is injured and out for a few weeks which is opened up for comments. Pure clickbait for the 659 million

I love the Romans - straight roads, baths, toilets, aqueducts, forts etc. Wish I had been able to do Latin at school, unfortunately the year we were streamed I had done extremely well I'm my science exams, so got put in science group, hated it. Really felt I missed out on the language front. I mean I even enjoyed Mass in Latin.....!

Wouldn't like to have been around though when the Romans were here.

I did read somewhere that most of the Roman 'footsoldiers' who first arrived were of Germanic origin, the generals etc were the actual Romans.

Could never get to grips with Latin for some reason. Being a lazy bugger, probably.

I do remember our Latin teacher having enormous knockers, though.

Edit: Can't remember her name now, though. If anyone can help me out with her name, Audenshaw GS 1970-1976. She used to tell me stop fidgeting. If only she knew .....

Last edited:
My degree was Latin, it was ace. If anyone’s ever wanting to read a 25 year old dissertation on Ammianus Marcellinus then copies still available…

Plus a Masters on the grammar in early Church hagiographies.

Rarely used it since to be fair, but I have the bookshelves of an intellectual still.

FWIW. I went to a Girls Grammar in a mining/ mill town, where Latin was offered. Parents moved and I had wanted to go to Eccles GS which was mixed boys/ girls and probably didn't do Latin!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.