Media Thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Borderline racism this but of course the Guardian would never see it as such.

How on Earth do you expect freedom and equality for citizens when the region has been a cockpit of war played out by foreign powers for a century. If we truly value the rights of humanity then rather than criticise distant foreign states who are easy targets we should look at our own nation states.

I refer to the articles about Qatar and football's protests. Where are these protests when the UK and USA launched attacks on middle-eastern states? Yes you guessed it, these human rights observers were the very first people to advocate intervention. "We must do something".

How on Earth do you expect freedom and equality for citizens when the region has been a cockpit of war played out by foreign powers for a century. If we truly value the rights of humanity then rather than criticise distant foreign states who are easy targets we should look at our own nation states.

I refer to the articles about Qatar and football's protests. Where are these protests when the UK and USA launched attacks on middle-eastern states? Yes you guessed it, these human rights observers were the very first people to advocate intervention. "We must do something".
Agree 100 per cent. There seems to be a very selective process when it comes to criticising countries for their human rights records. I am cynical about the motives of a lot of human rights groups and charities. Some of these organisations are just making the most of the lobbying gravy train. A lot of their senior staff get paid a hell of a lot of money. I am not saying they are all like this but it is part of their culture.

It's racist and it's cultural colonialism. They don't apply the same standards to European countries like Poland, Hungary and particularly Russia that they apply to the Gulf countries. Most of the Gulf states are just 50 years old as independent nations yet we expect them to be just as advanced as us. Frankly, to have got to where they've got in just 50 years is an astonishing achievement.

I was listening to the Price of Football podcast that Kieran Maguire does with Kevin Day and Kieran mentioned he'd spent time working in Russia and that the outlook for LGBT people there was very grim, with physical violence against them common. Yet it's the Gulf countries that get criticised for their approach.

The Guardian is also guilty of using the death numbers for migrant workers very misleadingly, by including any migrant (i.e. non-citizen) worker who dies of any condition, while giving the impression these deaths are all WC related. If you're an Indian doctor, Egyptian lawyer or Palestinian accountant (or a British expat financial adviser) who dies from a heart attack, other natural cause or a. boating accident, those deaths are included in the total figure trumpeted by Guardian headlines.

Last edited:
The Guardian is also guilty of using the death numbers for migrant workers very misleadingly, by including any migrant (i.e. non-citizen) worker who dies of any condition, while giving the impression these deaths are all WC related. If you're an Indian doctor, Egyptian lawyer or Palestinian accountant ( or a British eat financial adviser) who dies from a heart attack, other natural cause or a. boating accident, those deaths are included in the total figure trumpeted by Guardian headlines.
This. I believe the WC stadium building sites actually have a marginally better safety record than the equivalent in European nations, yet they made it sound like people were getting killed left right and centre.

This. I believe the WC stadium building sites actually have a marginally better safety record than the equivalent in European nations, yet they made it sound like people were getting killed left right and centre.
It's egregious misrepresentation by these people. Of course one person dying on these sites is one too many, particularly if it's preventable. But my understanding is that these 6500 deaths haven't all occurred on World Cup building sites.

It's egregious misrepresentation by these people. Of course one person dying on these sites is one too many, particularly if it's preventable. But my understanding is that these 6500 deaths haven't all occurred on World Cup building sites.
37 occurred on site I think.

It's not just the Guardian though is it. Human Rights Watch, the ILO, and many other local and international organisations have raised concerns about the human rights and labour rights record of Qatar and other gulf states. (And the same organisations are also publishing and campaigning on similar issues in other regions of the world.)

It's not just the Guardian though is it. Human Rights Watch, the ILO, and many other local and international organisations have raised concerns about the human rights and labour rights record of Qatar and other gulf states. (And the same organisations are also publishing and campaigning on similar issues in other regions of the world.)
Right and there are issues, but they undermine their own credibility and therefore the causes they're purporting to represent when they claim that 6,500 migrant workers have died on WC building sites when the actual figure is 37 or so. That's not even exaggeration, it's straight up dishonesty.
Rather than make up shite for hysterical articles, they could try honestly campaigning on the many issues that do exist in that part of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.