Media Thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont remember the press banging on about this in fact your could hear the laughter in Tylers voice !

CONTROVERSIAL GOAL: Gary Crosby v Man City - YouTube
I've still not over that.

It was just after the steps rule was brought in for keepers where once you'd completed the save you only had 3? steps that you could move, Courtney (I think) said he'd deemed the ball not to be under control as it was sat on Dibble's palm.

Nobody pointed out that from a standing start he'd have done him for steps if he'd run around.

Almost caused a major kickoff in the corner behind the goal.

My heart sinks every-time I hear Steve McManaman is announced as the co-commentator on our games.

How do we lobby BT to get him off our televised matches?
scrap your subscription to them. I got the feeling lots of City fans did this some time back after camel gob said he want RM to beat us. They will keep ringing your back with offers to get you back and i would say 'have you sacked camel gob and Owen yet ? 'No' than i am not coming back. In the end i would just say i am a City fan and the bt person would just say 'oh' !. So i think bt got the message but have now gone back to their old ways again of hating City.

PS i still dont have BT !

The law has always ( at least in my lifetime) been that you are offside only if your own player was the last one to play the ball. It was however clarified more recently that an opposition player had to deliberately play the ball, rather than a situation where he has no control of it.

For example, let's imagine Rodri was in an offside position, the Villa keeper has the ball and throws it to Mings. Mings isn't looking however, it hits the back of his head and rebounds to Rodri, who is then judged to be offside as Mings is judged not to have played the ball deliberately.

If Mings is under pressure from a player who's onside, tries to head it back but heads it to Rodri, that's not offside. If Rodri challenges Mings for the ball before or as Mings plays it, he's offside.

I understand pgmols interpretation of it, I’m just saying the section they added about deliberate playing of the ball is poorly written because it says that the opposing player receives the ball from that action for it to apply.

If Mings had headed it as you suggest in the last paragraph, then Rodri clearly would have received the ball from him.

What the law should say is just there is no offside of the ball is deliberately played by the defender and just stop there. Everyone’s saying that’s what it means, it’s not actually currently what it says though.

The law ur trying to clarify is to stop the attacking player smashing or cannoning the ball off the defender to his own player in an offside position .

if the defender deliberately’plays the ball then it doesn’t matter where u are stood

it’s always been this way !

footballers ,and more so , so called expert pundits just do not know the laws

sod off ferdinand
Shame u didn’t realise ur not to climb out of a toilet window when it’s ur turn for a drugs test !
It's not always been this way. In times not that long past it would clearly have been "gaining an advantage by being in an offside position", but not now.

Yeah, McGinn wasn’t it? Not long after Grealish did the same trick of leaving his trailing leg out to intentionally contact our defender and then drop to the ground.

Yeah that was it. You could see how angry and shocked Gundogan was afterwards. He didn't even make a challenge. Yet McManaman laughed, and with pure excitement said 'he's great at doing that'. What? Diving? Cheating?

I was going to come in and say it's worth pointing out the BBC didn't even mention the "controversy" in their headline or paid it any attention in the match report, they simply said something dismissive like "Mings was wrong, Rodri was not offside".

But when I went to link the piece this morning and dig out the quote, I noticed they've changed it significantly and added 2 articles about the decision.

When Eddie first came the club realised he could ping a ball straight to Aguero. They also knew the offside law and that you couldn't be offside from a goal kick. It was amazing how many players and pundits didn't know the law and said it was offside. They quickly learnt. Maybe City's backroom boys make sure our players know the laws of the game?
Now that's defo not in the spirit of the game........... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.