Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
The exaggerated Covid outbreak in Dipperland has been reported by The Times ,wonder if it will get any further comment? The bulk of the reporting seems to be how the team of the century overcame the Mighty Arsenal.A consolation is,I wonder how Alan Davies is today.
No mention of the commercial manager, though.

It's quite a bit better than rubbish, but I take yer point that the BBC, time and time again, take pains to inform us that it is on a par with the men's game and we must not deride its quality. There are a good few teams that played in the Gorton and District Sunday League which would give some FAWSL teams a decent game. But the teams at the top of the WSL are well worth watching. I watch all the CIty teams, men, women and kids, and they each have their own features, foibles, and magic moments.
My money would be on the Groton lads over the rags, let alone any women’s team on this earth ..!!

It's quite a bit better than rubbish, but I take yer point that the BBC, time and time again, take pains to inform us that it is on a par with the men's game and we must not deride its quality. There are a good few teams that played in the Gorton and District Sunday League which would give some FAWSL teams a decent game. But the teams at the top of the WSL are well worth watching. I watch all the CIty teams, men, women and kids, and they each have their own features, foibles, and magic moments.
Didnt a group of u17s beat the US team? Womens football has improved a lot but there is a long way to go. Goalkeepers are still dire.
I still love Toni Duggan, though. Shout out to Aslani.

This the same jamie Jackson..
View attachment 34997
It’s been on here before but worth another look. The sales blurb says…

‘When Ole Gunnar Solskjaer returned to Old Trafford as caretaker manager midway through the 2018-19 season, he breathed new life into a team that was drifting. In this new and definitive biography, Jamie Jackson investigates why he was the perfect man for the job to bring back the glory days.’

A tool writing about a tool, returning to a club run by and supported by tools.

Didnt a group of u17s beat the US team? Womens football has improved a lot but there is a long way to go. Goalkeepers are still dire.
I still love Toni Duggan, though. Shout out to Aslani.
I can't see, over the next few seasons the top teams getting any better than they are now, other than on the margins. The BBC goes on and on about women's football and bullshines its quality because that is the level of their current involvement in the game, so they milk it, and try to sell us 'the Emperor's clothes'. The game will improve in the sense that more teams will be more competitive. There are still teams in the WSL who can ship double figure goals in a game. That will diminish as teams are made more aware with better coaching and greater fitness. But there won't be a stream of players who capture the imagination as players in the men's game do!

My money would be on the Groton lads over the rags, let alone any women’s team on this earth ..!!
I once played against Middleton C team - 17yr old lads, fit as fiddles - who ran us off the pitch and only had to nudge the ball past us and we were done. I think they would have done much the same with a good number of WSL teams.

If anyone wants to listen to an informed discussion from a City perspective about the current media coverage of our club, I'd urge you to listen to the latest Friday Show of the 93:20 podcast. It's freely available now on all usual platforms so you don't have to be a 93:20 subscriber to access it.

In the episode, @Lucky Toma (who's a freelance football writer), @BillyShears (who has a background in the music and entertainment industries) and Ally Fogg (a political journalist and writer) talk through what they quite rightly call the "bullshit" in the narratives surrounding the club that are pushed by the UK sports media. They expand on the reasons for this. Of course, many of us know all about these already but which it's instructive to hear outlined rationally by people with relevant experience.

Thus, we listen to matters such as the preponderance of support for United and Liverpool among the journalists concerned, who take the opportunity to vent their disappointment at the current state of affairs in modern football by damaging City's reputation. And there's confirmation of the relentless chase for clicks in modern journalism that causes outlets to pursue the anti-City angle so popular among rival fans.

One thing that grates with me about many of these journalists is the air they assume of being cleverer than other football fans. I broadly agree with the guys' conclusion that some of our media enemies enjoy winding up City fans and the best course is not to engage them. There's a lovely and entertaining little extract where Ahsan says he's not interested in these people because they're intellectually inferior, and this absolutely struck a chord with me: there are several Blues in my close circle who are far, far smarter than any of these tedious, self-absorbed twats.

Now, to some degree I can forgive journalists for doing what they need to in order to make a living. In other words, I'm prepared to call them out here for lies, half-truths and inaccuracies, as well as for misleading statements and omissions, but I won't judge them for it. After all, in my professional life I do work for Russian state-owned companies and people might have views about that (I couldn't give a fuck, by the way, but I can't stop readers from thinking what they like about).

But I don't moralise to any critics or get on my high horse. What grates with me is when those such as the 'WhatsApp Group' try to gaslight City fans, and this is the only thing that wasn't mentioned in the podcast but that IMO is worth mentioning. It's a fairly common thing, too. I noticed an example earlier this week, when the freelance journalist John Brewin posted the following on Twitter:

Now, I'm aware of Brewin's output but literally never recall reading anything of his that I found entertaining or informative, but he seems to think he can lecture us. Note the language. It begins with him casting himself as a detached observer, above the fray and laughing at others. Then he depicts those others as rabid partisans, whose inherent bias prevents them from properly understanding the position - by implication, in contrast to him.

Yet no one with an IQ over 50 could sensibly and genuinely believe his thrust that a bit of mild piss-taking after a couple of heavy United defeats is equivalent to the coordinated and fevered press coverage that City now receive. He goes on in the thread both to portray himself as a victim, being attacked in very mild responses because he doesn't admire City, and, for good measure, to show himself broadly ignorant of the sources of United's (i.e. his own club's) financing in the early '90s.

I'll no doubt give Brewin barely any thought in the days, weeks and months to come, just as I ignored him before. To the extent that he impinges on my consciousness in a brief flash (e.g. if I have the misfortune to see him RT'd on my Twitter feed), it will be simply to recall him momentarily as a dullard and a ****. But I thought it worth highlighting him here as a textbook purveyor of the bad-faith, gaslighting bullshit our detractors habitually resort to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.