Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Football Insider site, quoting the well-respected (including by me) Kieran Maguire, claimed ....
So what is it with this guy, PB?

He may be well-respected, but his tweet about Newcastle's valuation was pure clickbait (as well as being nonsense), the article on Etihad was weird, and the "windfall" article was hopelessly misleading (the last three times I have seen him referenced).

Trying to raise his social media profile, maybe, or something else?

So what is it with this guy, PB?

He may be well-respected, but his tweet about Newcastle's valuation was pure clickbait (as well as being nonsense), the article on Etihad was weird, and the "windfall" article was hopelessly misleading (the last three times I have seen him referenced).

Trying to raise his social media profile, maybe, or something else?
I wonder if they're just misquoting him. I know Kieran and he's absolutely sound.

In the 70s and 80s the rags were referred to in the press and by their plastic army of fans that was starting to grow around the country as Man United and Man U even jokingly as Man You in Private Eye and the early fanzines. The most ridiculous way just 'MU', which fitted very nicely with Manchester football fans to refer to the local paper as the 'MUEN'
Then came the heavy commercialization, sticking market floating and of course the PL and Sky monies.
It is almost set in stone now and it's very rare that you see Manchester City or Man United in everyday usage in the media.
I'm surprised the media haven't jumped at the opportunity to call the rags "Greater Manchester United" ....

There's a story on that site that contrives to get just about fact it reports wrong. There was a notice filed at Companies House recently that one of our directors, Mohammed Al Mazrouei, had stood down from the various City boards he was on. He had also been a director of Etiha, hence his place on the board as representative of our major sponsor.

This Football Insider site, quoting the well-respected (including by me) Kieran Maguire, claimed that it was Khaldoon who'd stood down (it named the director as 'Mohammed Mubarak') and that he'd done this because of the new PL FFP rule about associated party deals having to pass the Fair Market Value test. It said that as this mythical 'Mohamed Mubarak' was also chairman of Etihad, this would avoid the Etihad sponsorship getting caught by these new rules.

Now according to the Etihad website, its chair is Mohammed Ali Al Shorafa and Al Mazrouei is no longer listed as a director (and nor is Khaldoon and has never been as far as I know). So it's more likely that Al Mazrouei has stood down from the Etihad board for some reason and, as he no longer represented Etihad, that he also stood down from the City board.

So they've got pretty well everything wrong in probably 100 words, not least inventing a mythical person.

Update & correction: Al Mazrouei is still chairman of Etihad Airways but has stood down as Chairman of Etihad Aviation Group
Wow I read that article the other day and took it at face value. Thought Khaldoun going was a big story to go under the radar. Absolute 0 out of 10 terrible reporting, must try harder. Thanks for pointing out the correct situation. As you say if that director has left Etihad he can't represent them on city's board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.