Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps I should do a Neil Young, and threaten to withdraw my work from Bluemoon unless they stop promoting the Bluemoon podcast, as it promotes deliberate misinformation.

I think David Mooney means well. However, there's no significant merit whatsoever to be found in any analysis of the media coverage of MCFC that ignores the concerted efforts of a vile contingent of journalists to report about FFP and CAS in a disingenuous and often mendacious way, thus influencing the media coverage as a whole.

As for Sam Lee's appeal, I wouldn't participate in any such supposed survey that doesn't take account the nature of the coverage referred to above. Given that Sam justifies his wholly inadequate reporting on the same issue by the fact that he spoke to other experts who disagreed with people such as Stefan of 93:20 pod, I hold out no hope that any resultant piece will prove something other than an utter embarrassment.

Anyway, let me say this. Your experts might have given you better takes, Sam, if you'd had the nous to be able to ask the right questions.

He knows what he is doing with this tweet. Playing to the gallery. Motivated by malice. He must think we are all fucking idiots.
Lots of Blues in this thread speculating on what the UK sports media gets out of how it treats City, whether financial gain or, as you say, malicious delight in stirring trouble up for the club and us supporters.

As I've been reading the thread today, I was reminded of some lines of verse by the Italian born, British bred poet/essayist Humbert Wolfe, from his 'Uncelestial City', which seem appropriate:

"You cannot hope to bribe or twist,/ thank God! the British (football*) journalist./ But, seeing what the man will do/ unbridled, there's no occasion to.."
(* this bit added by me!)

Mind, knowing many of our fellow Blues, I'm sure their preferred descriptive verse of choice for our friends in the UK sports media would come from the pen of the Bard of Salford, John Cooper Clarke, as in:

"What kind of creature bore you?/ Was it some kind of bat?/ They can't find a good word for you/ But I can..'Twat'.."

Last edited:
And those fans who do go in to bat for the club, do it precisely because we don't get a fair and balanced treatment in the media.
In one sense, City fans are victims of this bias. It is therefore gaslighting/victim blaming when the press say we are paranoid for complaining about our treatment. Remember, according to Syed in the Times, we are 'feral rats'.

It's quite bizarre that David's seemingly set himself up for a fall as far as his standing with City fans is concerned. It's almost as though someone like The Athletic has said to him "We'd like to take you on the payroll full time but you'll have to publicly distance yourself from City in some way". Now I don't for one moment think that is the case but you do wonder.

I understand where he and Crafton are coming from an LGBTQ point of view but there are hardly hundreds of openly LGBTQ sportsmen in the West, particularly in football. So they're both making a living reporting on a sport that appears to be intrinsically homophobic.
As far as LGBTQ people are concerned, it is worth stating:
1.Our principal owner if FROM Abu Dhabi, but he is not the state.
2. It is not therefore fair to talk about the sins of our owners as if we are state owned.
3. The club has endorsed and welcomed the support from Canal Street Blues.(Maybe Mansour is more than happy to support them in a way that he cannot do at home without inflaming the religious lobby.)
4. City was the first club to be awarded the title 'Gay Friendly Employer' by Stonewall. Perhaps the only club?

It's quite bizarre that David's seemingly set himself up for a fall as far as his standing with City fans is concerned. It's almost as though someone like The Athletic has said to him "We'd like to take you on the payroll full time but you'll have to publicly distance yourself from City in some way". Now I don't for one moment think that is the case but you do wonder.

I understand where he and Crafton are coming from an LGBTQ point of view but there are hardly hundreds of openly LGBTQ sportsmen in the West, particularly in football. So they're both making a living reporting on a sport that appears to be intrinsically homophobic.

My personal experience with Mooney is that he would throw his own mum under a bus if it meant it slightly advanced his media career. He wouldn’t hesitate to do the same to City that’s for sure. He’s absolutely desperate for a job in the industry and will say what he needs to and suck up to the right people to get there.

Edit - Surely a nice guy in real life and would come across well if you spoke to him. This is just how he acts about City on social media and some past articles.

Last edited:
Sam Lee must have had the "We need some negative City stuff to drive the clicks and add subscribers" memo from his bosses too.

The fact this alleged journalist is posting nonsense like this on twitter just shows the difference in how our fanbase is treated in the media compared to fans of other Premier league clubs. What a stupid and pathetically framed question. The bloke is a moron.

Sam Lee must have had the "We need some negative City stuff to drive the clicks and add subscribers" memo from his bosses too.

And people on here defend this guy?

I now have to be halfway towards ‘my club are corrupt and evil’ to be considered, I’m guessing, ‘not extreme?’. What the actual fuck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.