Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not just ignore Sam Lee? He carries weight only in so far as you let him. If City fans do not subscribe to his writing, his opinion becomes worthless. I briefly tracked him for transfer information some years ago. I don't think anyone in the commercial media world is worth following. Perhaps there are a small number but none comes immediately to mind.

I suspect that any media focus on City's owner may subside a little now that the focus shifts to Russian owned football clubs. It will be interesting to see if any shine a light on Alisher Usmanov (everton?). For years the West implored the Eastern bloc to become capitalists, and when these capitalists privatised their nations wealth they are now to be prosecuted as little more than gangsters. Perhaps that is what they are but is that just the Russians?

The only time I read something Sam Lee writes is on here & my response is always “he’s a twat!”

I see both sides here

I think we get some awful negative coverage in some sections of the media.

But I also think an element of our online fanbase lack objectivity about it and see bias where there is none. This is magnified because, like it or not, our two rivals are the best supported clubs in the country and therefore the most newsworthy and a lot of these fans are jealous of that. Also, by their very nature, these online fans see "the media" as the online media, because that's the space they live in, whereas in reality the online media is small compared to other forms.

In defence of our online radicals, most football fans are like that, partisan and sometimes lacking objectivity. We all do it. And City have suffered from being in United's shadow for decades on the pitch so it's only right that people want to emerge from it in the public eye now we have done it on the pitch.

What I totally believe is that 99.9% of City fans do not feel conflicted in any way about the club's ownership and see it for what it is: just another football investor like all the other succesful clubs throughout history had. Only better.
I agree with all of that.

One point that I’m often in two minds about is whether “calling out the lies” is the right thing to do in these social media days.

It seems counter intuitive but retaliation is often what the worst hacks want. The last thing they need is to be ignored. I think City themselves have realised this whereas understandably some of us haven’t.

Im only aware of the extreme bias against City on the internet because it’s constantly pointed out on BM.

I actually find the BT bias more annoying.

It will move away from us as soon as Newcastle start winning and eventually the media will be pro City…which I don’t want either.

Unfortunately unbiased reporting is gone. Best to think of it as if they are so bothered about us things on the pitch are going well!

Agree with Sam & you’re a reasonable fan, disagree & you’re a militant crank?

The narcissism of these journalists is flabbergasting

Again, this just highlights the way in which our fanbase is treated differently by these so called journalists. Twitter is well known as a toxic melting pot. I'm pretty sure fans of other teams don't hold back in the comments sections when there are negative articles about their club. The difference is that our fans get called out publicly when they have the temerity to defend City, often in the face of inaccurate reporting.

I'm really bored of this tired narrative from the journalists, who as other posters have pointed out fail to investigate the foreign money links to others teams or provide balance in their reporting. I'm sure there are still some excellent sports journalists out there, but the majority, whose names feature regularly on here are no better than a kid with a youtube channel. Unfortunately they have a larger platform and editorial teams behind them who are keen to placate their readership. Got to keep those clicks coming.

One point that I’m often in two minds about is whether “calling out the lies” is the right thing to do in these social media days.

It seems counter intuitive but retaliation is often what the worst hacks want. The last thing they need is to be ignored. I think City themselves have realised this whereas understandably some of us haven’t.

Im only aware of the extreme bias against City on the internet because it’s constantly pointed out on BM.

It will move away from us as soon as Newcastle start winning and eventually the media will be pro City…which I don’t want either.

Unfortunately unbiased reporting is gone. Best to think of it as if they are so bothered about us things on the pitch are going well!
I'm of the opinion that every successful club is hated for one thing or another and we don't do too badly out of things. And I totally agree that Bluemoon warps everything if you spend to long on here, and it appears Twitter does the same to our "radicals".

What I don't get with Sam Lee is that he openly admits to being a United fan (isn't he from Birmingham??). Conversely, the last job on earth that I would want would to be a journalist solely covering United. Can you imagine having to go and watch them and report on them day in, day out for a living and not being able to go to watch your own team? Well that's what he does.

Our owners have brought about the greatest period in our history, for that Inam grateful. What goes on in UAE is for the UAE to sort out.

I'm not on twitter and don't read papers etc so only see what's put on here, so it may well be a distorted view. However I do listen to the coverage on both Sky and BT, neither of which is balanced. The constant disappointment when we score and elation when we concede is clear. If we are constantly attacked from nearly all sides and gaslit or blocked when we defend ourselves is it any wonder that we turn on our attackers?

If that makes me a militant crank then so be it, but it doesn't make me wrong.

The problem with ignoring them is that it feeds the hatred some of our rival fans now have for us. The more the lies go unchallenged, the more the narrative is that we are a bunch of cheating bastards. I am convinced that at some point, an innocent City fan is going to get a pasting from some ill informed bell end and in my opinion, at least in part, some of these so called journalists will be to blame.

What I don't get with Sam Lee is that he openly admits to being a United fan (isn't he from Birmingham??). Conversely, the last job on earth that I would want would to be a journalist solely covering United. Can you imagine having to go and watch them and report on them day in, day out for a living and not being able to go to watch your own team? Well that's what he does.

So a typical rag fan .....................from anywhere except Manchester.

With those credentials my thoughts on ignoring him and others of his ilk are totally justified .

The problem with ignoring them is that it feeds the hatred some of our rival fans now have for us. The more the lies go unchallenged, the more the narrative is that we are a bunch of cheating bastards. I am convinced that at some point, an innocent City fan is going to get a pasting from some ill informed bell end and in my opinion, at least in part, some of these so called journalists will be to blame.

This has been an argument on here for some time with mixed thoughts .

Attacking our " critics " seems to raise the concern that it will just attract an even bigger pile on ( if that were possible ) !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.