Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I love that!

I’ve relayed before that when I mention I’m from Manchester, it invariably gets the instant reply “Manchester United,” at which point I fake spit on the ground!

I tell them about City and how United are not even from Manchester and are only well known because of being a top team when the Premier League was invented for satellite TV sales to the world.

When I run into someone who says they support United, I always ask them if they’re from Manchester. When they say they’re from some far flung corner of the world, I simply say “Of course, because if you were from Manchester, you’d be a City supporter! United supporters are from everywhere EXCEPT Manchester because of TV!”

;-)

Spreading the gospel, one person at a time!

I also see more and more City shirts around the world, and make a point of it to say “Hi! I’m from Manchester and a City fan, too!” That’s how I found out Gordon Brown’s kid is a City fan! I was introduced to him and his bodyguard before a flight and I told him I was from Manchester. He wanted to know Blue or Red, and when I told him, he introduced his son (Alistair, IIRC) because he was a City fan!

Conversely, if I see a United shirt/top in the gate area, I go up to them (in uniform, of course) and tell them there are no United fans allowed on this flight and they need to cover up that top before boarding because it’s offensive to me….as a City fan!!! ;-)

I stay pretty serious until the end. Of course, then I ask them where they’re from and give them the “Of course you are, because if you were from Manc…” spiel!

:-)
I commend you for continuing to spread the word.

I have had a similar experience being in the States (San Diego and Seattle) since 1990. Whenever non-Brits asked where I was from, and if football came up, they would always assume I followed United. Similar to you, I would have to inform them about City and that I have followed them all my life.

Going on holiday to Mexico, I would get the same United supporter assumption, but worse, because of Hernandes (Chicharito) playing for United and most Mexicans revered him. They always wanted to chat with me about him and tell me how great he is (was).

In the early 2000’s it started to change slowly as City got back in the Premier League, and there was increased TV exposure with football in general becoming more popular.

I remember when my kids were playing footy in San Diego, United sponsored the competitions, but now it’s a different story with City sponsoring the Surf Cup which is a well known California tournament. In the last 15 years, it really has changed greatly, and I actually see more City shirts over here in Seattle and hardly ever see a United shirt, or even a hat. I really think our worldwide image has change very much for the better and long may it continue.

It is astounding the difference in BBC reporting
From the brilliance and professionalism they have in their coverage of Ukraine, to the shameful standard they have in their football reporting
You mean like using fake news videos of “the ghost” amongst many others !
The BBC are royal cunts and never forget that.

Everyone laugh at Simon Stone part 201:

"Manchester United privately think what has happened at Stamford Bridge underlines the value of their business model."

Whilst we're all laughing at the fact that Stone has clearly made that up, I'm intrigued by his thought process. I'd love to ask him specifically what, in his fevered imagination, does he think is the difference in "business model" ?

United’s business model. Have the highest transfer spend, pay the highest wages, have the top earning player in the PL, win no trophies, sack numerous Managers, and increase the debt to £490mill.

I wish City were run like that.

Simon Stone, one of many Manchester United PR shills in the football media in this country. Paid by you and me, the BBC licence fee payers.

United’s business model. Have the highest transfer spend, pay the highest wages, have the top earning player in the PL, win no trophies, sack numerous Managers, and increase the debt to £490mill.

I wish City were run like that.

Simon Stone, one of many Manchester United PR shills in the football media in this country. Paid by you and me, the BBC licence fee payers.
The are plenty of City supporters who are also paid by licence fee payers, but agreed, they aren’t all bbc football correspondents!

I commend you for continuing to spread the word.

I have had a similar experience being in the States (San Diego and Seattle) since 1990. Whenever non-Brits asked where I was from, and if football came up, they would always assume I followed United. Similar to you, I would have to inform them about City and that I have followed them all my life.

Going on holiday to Mexico, I would get the same United supporter assumption, but worse, because of Hernandes (Chicharito) playing for United and most Mexicans revered him. They always wanted to chat with me about him and tell me how great he is (was).

In the early 2000’s it started to change slowly as City got back in the Premier League, and there was increased TV exposure with football in general becoming more popular.

I remember when my kids were playing footy in San Diego, United sponsored the competitions, but now it’s a different story with City sponsoring the Surf Cup which is a well known California tournament. In the last 15 years, it really has changed greatly, and I actually see more City shirts over here in Seattle and hardly ever see a United shirt, or even a hat. I really think our worldwide image has change very much for the better and long may it continue.
I’m sure after yesterday’s result the Sharp shirts and hats will be out.

I got Sky Sports News up on the phone this morning to see what the results were yesterday, I didn't have to look at the scores to realise united won as there were no less than 8 out of the top 11 stories about them (admittedly 1 was for the women's win).

Normally I discount posts similar to this one but for Christ sake Sky...

It is astounding the difference in BBC reporting
From the brilliance and professionalism they have in their coverage of Ukraine, to the shameful standard they have in their football reporting
You say the BBC reporting of the war is brilliant and professional I would say sensational is a more appropriate description. The football reporting by and large follows suit.

I'm not convinced this 'Manchester = united' when speaking to people overseas is true at all.

It's more of a generational thing in my experience.

I was born and raised in Manchester, but have been lucky enough to find a career that has allowed me to live and work around the World. Anytime I've chatted about where I'm from and mention Manchester, the first question tends to be "City or united?". Certainly with people 30 or under.

Mrs Munson is American, and we live on the East coast. All of her nieces and nephews and their friends (all in their late teens/early 20's) know as much about City, if not more, than united.

I work for a major network's streaming platform over here. I get paid to study trends, views, etc. and subsequently advise on content production. I know for a fact that the Manchester = united tide has shifted 'massively' over the last few years and will continue to do so.
Spot on. In the fifties City and that other lot got equal recognition. Munich gave united a story all over the world but we largely held our own in the 60s and 70s. Thereafter, our decline and their rise boosted their recognition especially thru TV internationally. So we missed out on a whole generation but our recent success has made all the difference and that old pendulum is now swinging our way. We just need them relegating now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.