Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest I think there is some truth in this. Of course we have moved from 40,000 gates to 50,000 gates and we certainly have a large growing audience in the USA. But my impression in the last decade is City's hard-core fanbase has remained (stubbornly?) Mancunian (at least in heritage) and working-class. Our support is more affluent which reflects the growth of Manchester itself but we have not attracted the huge levels of tourists that Chelsea and Arsenal hoovered up during their success. Even on CL nights we get a lot of new younger faces but they are often new residents in Manchester and students. In one sense it is great we have mostly stuck to our roots but long-term we will need more global support.
We’ve attracted loads of new fans but a lot of them are kids so it will take time for them to be solo matchgoers. Two of my mates are hardcore Barnsley and Bristol City fans respectively who moved here for work, both are bringing their City supporting young kids to the game tonight
Just a walk around Manchester or any youth football game locally and our shirts outnumber theirs now among young kids.

To be honest I think there is some truth in this. Of course we have moved from 40,000 gates to 50,000 gates and we certainly have a large growing audience in the USA. But my impression in the last decade is City's hard-core fanbase has remained (stubbornly?) Mancunian (at least in heritage) and working-class. Our support is more affluent which reflects the growth of Manchester itself but we have not attracted the huge levels of tourists that Chelsea and Arsenal hoovered up during their success. Even on CL nights we get a lot of new younger faces but they are often new residents in Manchester and students. In one sense it is great we have mostly stuck to our roots but long-term we will need more global support.
we definitely have picked up more global support, in China for example; however, trying to supress our growth in this area has definitely been an objective of the old guard as it would be at the expense of their market share and sponsorship opportunities.

Fully agree with this. You may have gained more worldwide support with your recent success, but this maybe a lot of younger ones. Dont forget the level Liverpool, Utd are at now stemmed from years and years ago, then passed on to the next generation. Think particular players help too as you can guarentee, Senegal and Egyptian supporters will choose them as their team. Look at Beckham, Ronaldo, galactico's, Messi, these teams always had a global superstar and I dont think you have had one. Someone who is as much of a celebrity as a footballer. If you get Haaland that will change I think

Also, the CL is a big one. Winning that propels you into that level. But I do think it will take a while for the global fanbase to start showing
Perhaps City fans will never be like United and Liverpool fans. We may just remain a hard-core local-based fanbase like, for example, Athletico Madrid. Most City fans enjoy the fact we have always been "anti-establishment" and the last 10 years have shown that maybe we will never be accepted as part of the establishment no matter how much we win. It makes me cringe when LFC fans say they are "football Royalty." I think most of our fans secretly like being outsiders as long as we keep hoovering up trophies.

I can understand the need for more global support if clubs start televising their own games worldwide on their own channels, otherwise, we will always be a top draw for the billions of plastics who want to see us lose. Over the past few seasons I've seen a number of East European visitors wearing City scarves, (not half/half)plus a growing number from other parts of the world. That's not a problem to me if they are genuine City fans, but the club has to realise they need to look after those who have stood by the club through the bad times. At the moment they don't seem to be all that bothered.

I can understand the need for more global support if clubs start televising their own games worldwide on their own channels, otherwise, we will always be a top draw for the billions of plastics who want to see us lose. Over the past few seasons I've seen a number of East European visitors wearing City scarves, (not half/half)plus a growing number from other parts of the world. That's not a problem to me if they are genuine City fans, but the club has to realise they need to look after those who have stood by the club through the bad times. At the moment they don't seem to be all that bothered.
Sorriano in particular seems to be obsessed with expansion and new fans while clearly not giving a flying fuck about the OGs. The financial rinsing every year is clear evidence of that

If we ever get to a point where we are shit again, the plastic fans will disappear and support the next beau on the block.

We should treat what they demeaningly call "Legacy" fans with the respect they deserve, not pander to day trippers and the shirt swappers.

There have always been outliers who followed City from overseas, even in our dark days. In the mid-90s I remember stopping a young grungy-looking American guy wearing a City shirt on the street in Seattle and asking him why he supported City. His reply was: "Because I fucking hate United." I have had similar encounters in other parts of the world.

I agree with this. I think the hatred from the media has also played apart in that it’s influenced the younger kids and their parents in their decision who to support. Can imagine them getting pressure from other kids and parents, with all of sudden moral compasses on supporting a team that (to them) buys trophies. Saying that if we get Haarland they’ll be a fair few kids with his name on their shirts. A superstar will help us on the long run but the truth is dippers will always gain more fans than us and I’m totally okay with that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.