Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a more positive note you can't understimate how much damage is now being done commercially to MUFC with City and Liverpool ruling the roost. My part of Lancashire used to be dominated by plastic MUFC fans with every pub packed for their games with people proudly wearing their shirts. Nowadays Liverpool have taken over with many youngsters following City. This is happening across the world. It's a shame about the rise of LFC but surely we can console ourselves watching United in their death spiral.
According to Marcotti on espn, we haven't gained any new fans. Unfortunately Nedum Onuoha didn't say much to contradict him.

Went in my local the other day to watch united early kick off.
The landlord is a red and has put united shit up on the walls and behind the bar.
2 years ago it would've been packed with shirt wearing plastics but on this day there were precisely 3 rags in, and none of them was interested in the match.
And this is happening to them everywhere with their huge plastic fanbase. These fans are the ones who buy the merchandise, MUTV subscriptions, shirts, support sponsors, and subscribe to broadcast channels. They have a strong hard-core matchgoing support home and away but it is propped up by tourists and plastics across the globe. These fans will vanish quickly. United are financially very vulnerable and another season without CL income will devastate them. Look at the current state of Barcelona and the Milan giants. Nothing lasts for ever. That's why City need to make hay while the sun is shining.

You lot shouldnt get yourself too worked up over the media, its infiltrated by Liverpool fans and ex players so its going to be akin to LFC TV. You could win 6 trophies in a year, concede 0 goals, score 300 and do Ronaldinho esq tricks all over the shop, yet it would barely register. Or we would hear how a recent signing of an 8 year old for the Liverpool academy will make City worry about the threat. Everything revolves around them

BT Sports game the other day had Crouch, Owen, McManamen and some random female presenter for impartiality. It then transpires that the presenter was also a Liverpool fan. Its a proper psyops operation

Wouldn't surprise me given my experience of the Police. My dad did alot of hgv work on the continent in the 70s and 80s before the collapse of the iron curtain. The company he drove for would provide him with a crate of malt whisky as back then in places like east Germany, Poland and the old Ussr freight wagons would be stuck at borders for days whilst they cleared customs and Visa checks. The offer of a bottle of quality whisky to the right customs/ border official would mean a fast track clearance.
In the 70s and 80s I visited eastern Europe on business many times. One regular overland run was to Poland via East Germany and after the hassle of a half day transit of East Germany (with visa, road tax, insurance - all paid for with West Marks - and speed traps in areas with ridiculously low speed limits that started just over the border) and Polish immigration the next stop was the duty free shop on the Polish side of the border. We'd stock up with booze and fags because a couple of hundred yards down the road you'd be stopped by a rifle toting Polish soldier who'd been exacting his 'toll fee' to let people through all day staggering out of his sentry box. He'd be totally pissed and barely able to stand but we found that a few packs of Benson & Hedges with their bright gold packaging would often do the trick.

These fuckers were just like Gollum with his precious but it seems a very similar experience to your dad's.

According to Marcotti on espn, we haven't gained any new fans. Unfortunately Nedum Onuoha didn't say much to contradict him.
To be honest I think there is some truth in this. Of course we have moved from 40,000 gates to 50,000 gates and we certainly have a large growing audience in the USA. But my impression in the last decade is City's hard-core fanbase has remained (stubbornly?) Mancunian (at least in heritage) and working-class. Our support is more affluent which reflects the growth of Manchester itself but we have not attracted the huge levels of tourists that Chelsea and Arsenal hoovered up during their success. Even on CL nights we get a lot of new younger faces but they are often new residents in Manchester and students. In one sense it is great we have mostly stuck to our roots but long-term we will need more global support.

And this is happening to them everywhere with their huge plastic fanbase. These fans are the ones who buy the merchandise, MUTV subscriptions, shirts, support sponsors, and subscribe to broadcast channels. They have a strong hard-core matchgoing support home and away but it is propped up by tourists and plastics across the globe. These fans will vanish quickly. United are financially very vulnerable and another season without CL income will devastate them. Look at the current state of Barcelona and the Milan giants. Nothing lasts for ever. That's why City need to make hay while the sun is shining.
Unfortunately UEFA has now fixed it so they will be in the Champions League no matter how shit they are

To be honest I think there is some truth in this. Of course we have moved from 40,000 gates to 50,000 gates and we certainly have a large growing audience in the USA. But my impression in the last decade is City's hard-core fanbase has remained (stubbornly?) Mancunian (at least in heritage) and working-class. Our support is more affluent which reflects the growth of Manchester itself but we have not attracted the huge levels of tourists that Chelsea and Arsenal hoovered up during their success. Even on CL nights we get a lot of new younger faces but they are often new residents in Manchester and students. In one sense it is great we have mostly stuck to our roots but long-term we will need more global support.

Fully agree with this. You may have gained more worldwide support with your recent success, but this maybe a lot of younger ones. Dont forget the level Liverpool, Utd are at now stemmed from years and years ago, then passed on to the next generation. Think particular players help too as you can guarentee, Senegal and Egyptian supporters will choose them as their team. Look at Beckham, Ronaldo, galactico's, Messi, these teams always had a global superstar and I dont think you have had one. Someone who is as much of a celebrity as a footballer. If you get Haaland that will change I think

Also, the CL is a big one. Winning that propels you into that level. But I do think it will take a while for the global fanbase to start showing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.