Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the 70s and 80s I visited eastern Europe on business many times. One regular overland run was to Poland via East Germany and after the hassle of a half day transit of East Germany (with visa, road tax, insurance - all paid for with West Marks - and speed traps in areas with ridiculously low speed limits that started just over the border) and Polish immigration the next stop was the duty free shop on the Polish side of the border. We'd stock up with booze and fags because a couple of hundred yards down the road you'd be stopped by a rifle toting Polish soldier who'd been exacting his 'toll fee' to let people through all day staggering out of his sentry box. He'd be totally pissed and barely able to stand but we found that a few packs of Benson & Hedges with their bright gold packaging would often do the trick.

These fuckers were just like Gollum with his precious but it seems a very similar experience to your dad's.
The transport firm he drove for factored in these extra 'tolls and fines' into price for the customers of whom they were transporting their goods. I spoke to my dad last night about what I'd posted on here and he said the worst place for authorities hustling for a hand out was the Soviet Union as everyone there was on the take including some of the venues he delivered goods where they would charge for the use of their forklifts to unload the goods they had ordered.

Perhaps City fans will never be like United and Liverpool fans. We may just remain a hard-core local-based fanbase like, for example, Athletico Madrid. Most City fans enjoy the fact we have always been "anti-establishment" and the last 10 years have shown that maybe we will never be accepted as part of the establishment no matter how much we win. It makes me cringe when LFC fans say they are "football Royalty." I think most of our fans secretly like being outsiders as long as we keep hoovering up trophies.
I hope we never see ourselves with the same self-regard and conceit that rags and dippers see themselves.
The dippers especially have a rather schizophrenic view. On one hand they see themselves as a race apart, the underclass, the victims of the establishment and at the same time they drivel on about being ’European royalty’ - the very epitome of establishment.

Our fan base is increasing, mainly in the 3 to 15 year old brackets. They don't read all that crap, they just see Aguero, Sterling, Kevin, Jack etc.. Red fan bases, imo are mainly in the 30 to 100 age bracket and that base took years to grow, look around for all the kids in sky blue.
Our fan base is definitely increasing,I meant not to the levels you might expect given our incredible success.

Our fan base is definitely increasing,I meant not to the levels you might expect given our incredible success.

Adults aren’t really going to swap teams and become City fans. The fans who come from our success are children who will be coming to games 10-20 years from now. We’ll still get a huge increase in tourist fans though which we see on CL nights.

The hostile media has certainly had an impact and made it harder for City to attract fans. The fake message that City are "corrupt" and "have no fans" has damaged our brand. That's why our commercial rivals have spent a decade running a "clear and organised" smear campaign against our club. They want to undermine everything we do.
We can make all the hate go away and be everyone’s second team again by hovering precariously above the drop zone all season and moving across the road to the Minihad

Thats ridiculous tbf. If they had the 1 point lead then you could say this with some confidence as they dont look like dropping points and it wouldnt matter what you did.

However you have the 1 point advantage, so as long as you keep winning it doesnt matter if they win each game 10-0, you will win the league.
I know that but some people have give up already. Shocking.

Adults aren’t really going to swap teams and become City fans. The fans who come from our success are children who will be coming to games 10-20 years from now. We’ll still get a huge increase in tourist fans though which we see on CL nights.

I know 5ish people who have swapped the colour of their shirt after their 25 year birthday, one in particular when he was over 50.

Never underestimate the drones who follow sports like it's an Olympic event. Buying tickets just to say that they were there or living vicariously through ANY team that will give them the win over the team they HATE more than staying loyal to the team they supposedly love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.