Media thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't even know about that, they really are a piece of work aren't they?

I love that line in the article, where the Express defend their action, that says, "freedom of expression for journalists is not a free pass to publish ill-informed, inaccurate, and misjudged comments”.

You couldn't make it up, which is just as well as you don't need to.

Journalist Sacked and His Silence Bought - This Means More

Money, influence and Politics - a true case.

Facts as reported in the Press Gazette -

1.A journalist of 50 years was suspended in April 2018 after writing an online column in which he said LFC fans “frighten the living daylights” out of him and that trouble seems to follow them “like bees round a honey pot”.

2.Following interventions through social media, the LFC supporting editor of the Daily Express and the Mayor of Liverpool, the journalist was subject to an internal investigation.

3 A disciplinary hearing ensued, the journalist was then dismissed on the grounds of gross misconduct. He appealed the decision and, after a second disciplinary hearing his appeal was turned down in July 2018.

4 It was publicly reported that the journalist intended to take new Express Newspapers owner Reach to an employment tribunal where he said he would be seeking “substantial damages”.

5. The Press Gazette were told by the journalist - “I have been dealt a dreadful injustice and I don’t necessarily see myself as the champion for all journalists and freedom of speech, but there is an issue here and I am long in the tooth enough and free of many of the responsibilities of life which many people have to fight this".

6. A spokesperson for Reach stated that they could not comment on any potential legal action, but said: “Talking in general terms, freedom of expression for journalists is not a free pass to publish ill-informed, inaccurate, and misjudged comments. “When journalists are given a platform for their opinions, it comes with the quid pro quo that what they write is to be founded on fact and reasoned argument.”

7. A settlement was offered and refused by the journalist who told the Press Gazette his reason - “Because it in no way represents the pain and the humiliation that I have suffered as a result of this action.” He added that “rectifying” the “needless damage” to his reputation was of “paramount” importance to him.

8. An employment tribunal was due to hear his case for unfair dismissal on 27 April, 2018 but that was stopped from going ahead because an undisclosed but substantial cash offer from Reach was made and accepted which came with an “expression of regret” about events.

The above has been reported in outline in previous media and Liverpool threads. Below is more detail on the sequence of events though there is repetition in the links.

This is a case, as reported, that shows how an individual has felt the full force of money, influence and Politics against him - a prominent LFC Editor, The Reach Group and a Mayor. The former two eventually made a "substantial cash offer" to silence the journalist after other attempts at out of court settlements were rejected.

WHY ?

26 July 2018

Sunday Express sports writer fired over Liverpool FC opinion piece vows to continue fighting 'gag on freedom of speech'

1 August 2018

Ex-Sunday Express football writer to take employers to tribunal after sacking for 'gross misconduct' over column criticising Liverpool FC

https://pressgazette.co.uk/ex-sunda...conduct-over-column-criticising-liverpool-fc/

16 October 2018

Ex-Sunday Express football writer turns down ‘derisory’ cash offer over sacking for column criticising Liverpool FC fans

https://pressgazette.co.uk/ex-sunda...-turns-down-derisory-cash-offer-over-sacking/

20 May 2019

Reach pays ‘substantial’ settlement to ex-Sunday Express football writer fired over column criticising Liverpool FC fans

https://pressgazette.co.uk/reach-pa...ed-over-column-criticising-liverpool-fc-fans/

Last edited:
The Mail mentioned it.

Liverpool and Manchester City have certainly had their moments. When City arrived at Anfield on Boxing Day 1981, their goalkeeper Joe Corrigan was hit with a glass bottle thrown from the Kop and their manager John Bond told his players to lie on the floor as the bus was pelted with missiles on the way out. City had won 3-1.
thats obviousley fake we never win at anfield and the cheeky chappies are good as gold

They've give up on the actual footballing ability comparisons now.

Typical sky sports.
Have got to have the red mardarse teams top of some table or ahead in a poll or shite like this.

All to try and belittle city and make the tramps more important and front and centre.

Fuckin bore the pants off me sky sports with their childish views about us and football.

Always thought that end was ok compared to most. I remember going there this time one year, think the Mancini title season, and there was a freak heatwave in late October. Lads in big coats expecting bad weather passing out in the heat up a the top
I meant the old terrace before they rebuilt ewood, getting out was hairy.

Journalist Sacked and His Silence Bought - This Means More

Money, influence and Politics - a true case.

Facts as reported in the Press Gazette -

1.A journalist of 50 years was suspended in April 2018 after writing an online column in which he said LFC fans “frighten the living daylights” out of him and that trouble seems to follow them “like bees round a honey pot”.

2.Following interventions through social media, the LFC supporting editor of the Daily Express and the Mayor of Liverpool, the journalist was subject to an internal investigation.

3 A disciplinary hearing ensued, the journalist was then dismissed on the grounds of gross misconduct. He appealed the decision and, after a second disciplinary hearing his appeal was turned down in July 2018.

4 It was publicly reported that the journalist intended to take new Express Newspapers owner Reach to an employment tribunal where he said he would be seeking “substantial damages”.

5. The Press Gazette were told by the journalist - “I have been dealt a dreadful injustice and I don’t necessarily see myself as the champion for all journalists and freedom of speech, but there is an issue here and I am long in the tooth enough and free of many of the responsibilities of life which many people have to fight this".

6. A spokesperson for Reach stated that they could not comment on any potential legal action, but said: “Talking in general terms, freedom of expression for journalists is not a free pass to publish ill-informed, inaccurate, and misjudged comments. “When journalists are given a platform for their opinions, it comes with the quid pro quo that what they write is to be founded on fact and reasoned argument.”

7. A settlement was offered and refused by the journalist who told the Press Gazette his reason - “Because it in no way represents the pain and the humiliation that I have suffered as a result of this action.” He added that “rectifying” the “needless damage” to his reputation was of “paramount” importance to him.

8. An employment tribunal was due to hear his case for unfair dismissal on 27 April, 2018 but that was stopped from going ahead because an undisclosed but substantial cash offer from Reach was made and accepted which came with an “expression of regret” about events.

The above has been reported in outline in previous media and Liverpool threads. Below is more detail on the sequence of events though there is repetition in the links.

This is a case, as reported, that shows how an individual has felt the full force of money, influence and Politics against him - a prominent LFC Editor, The Reach Group and a Mayor. The former two eventually made a "substantial cash offer" to silence the journalist after other attempts at out of court settlements were rejected.

WHY ?

26 July 2018

Sunday Express sports writer fired over Liverpool FC opinion piece vows to continue fighting 'gag on freedom of speech'

1 August 2018

Ex-Sunday Express football writer to take employers to tribunal after sacking for 'gross misconduct' over column criticising Liverpool FC

https://pressgazette.co.uk/ex-sunda...conduct-over-column-criticising-liverpool-fc/

16 October 2018

Ex-Sunday Express football writer turns down ‘derisory’ cash offer over sacking for column criticising Liverpool FC fans

https://pressgazette.co.uk/ex-sunda...-turns-down-derisory-cash-offer-over-sacking/

20 May 2019

Reach pays ‘substantial’ settlement to ex-Sunday Express football writer fired over column criticising Liverpool FC fans

https://pressgazette.co.uk/reach-pa...ed-over-column-criticising-liverpool-fc-fans/

Point 5 is an important statement - Don’t under estimate the pain he went through, belittled & humiliated by the process & the legal cost for challenging the injustice. As someone going through a legal case ATM with Employer. Principles aren’t easy to fight for when you are mortgaged up & realise no employer will touch a rogue agent. That case will have consumed his mind nonstop for the full 12 month period.

It’s possibly why Samuel is braver with his articles than the young pups.

When he’s at the point of winning the pendulum swings as they have to buy his silence. I’d love to know what “substantial” was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.