Media thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet here we are.

This is politics.

We have the Guardianistas on one side and the mainstream media, old money clubs, Yanks, rival fans and the man on the Clapham omnibus on the other, plus we operate within football structures run by and for those very same old money clubs, it's a no win situation if we engage, so we don't engage.

I'm not happy about it either, but I accept the reality of our situation, you clearly don't.

I'm assuming you're looking for the club to start banning certain journalists and news outlets, or perhaps issuing rebuttals which must be acknowledged under threat of legal action.

That might make you feel better, but what do you think it would achieve?
I'm not saying we start dishing out bans left right and centre or start firing off legal writs on a daily basis at all. But where certain journalists have clearly and deliberately crossed a line with lies or a direct distortion of the truth or a blatant attempt to smear our reputation (Rob Harris for example) then more robust action should be taken. For me Rob Harris should have been banned for a few months as it was a considered and designed plan to upset Pep, trash and diminish the historical achievements we had just made on the pitch and blatantly smear the reputation of the club. If you think that is an acceptable form of journalism and fair coverage of our club then that's up to you and that is fine. However, I believe he would have never have wanted or dared say that to the managers of Liverpool, United, Spurs etc in the same situation. But he knew with 100% certainty he could say it to Pep without any censure or recourse whatsoever - so he did. I agree an all out war on the media is a war you will never win and it would be foolish. However, we do need to win the odd battle or two to ensure the war they have waged upon us since the takeover is toned down or stopped.

What's going to be really interesting in the next few years will be the media strategy up at Newcastle. The same sort of things are going to be levelled at them once they inevitably start winning things (if they haven't already). Will they defend themselves any better than we have?
They have already started. Eddie Howe last week was the first shot across the bows. I agree it is going to be very interesting indeed to watch this one play out.

What's going to be really interesting in the next few years will be the media strategy up at Newcastle. The same sort of things are going to be levelled at them once they inevitably start winning things (if they haven't already). Will they defend themselves any better than we have?
I think the signs are already there that they will be more proactive. Amanda Stavely has been very much on the front foot. That said in theory they have a much harder task because their majority owner is the Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund (ie the Saudi Government). It will also be harder for them because Saudi is a much more repressive regime than the relatively liberal UAE and has a much worse record on human rights (at least according to all the lobby groups like Amnesty)

When in fact they were deliberately confusing the pursuing old bill by all pointing in different directions, known as the Spartacus routine
" Scousers are offended by everything and ashamed of nothing.
This stunt they pulled after Joe was bottled was a riff off the old 'I'm Spartacus' 'No I'm Spartacus' gag they used to pull in Liverpool's pubs when the police/DSS/criminal enforcers came looking for someone. In fact, it was such a legendary thing around Scouseland that The Farm called their debut album after it"

Those are your words Longsight from a post over 10 years ago in March 2012. Brilliant sir.
We'd hardly started our success back then - somethings don't change :)

(Your post was the 1st link on a simple google search " joe corrigan hit by bottle")

I'm not saying we start dishing out bans left right and centre or start firing off legal writs on a daily basis at all. But where certain journalists have clearly and deliberately crossed a line with lies or a direct distortion of the truth or a blatant attempt to smear our reputation (Rob Harris for example) then more robust action should be taken. For me Rob Harris should have been banned for a few months as it was a considered and designed plan to upset Pep, trash and diminish the historical achievements we had just made on the pitch and blatantly smear the reputation of the club. If you think that is an acceptable form of journalism and fair coverage of our club then that's up to you and that is fine. However, I believe he would have never have wanted or dared say that to the managers of Liverpool, United, Spurs etc in the same situation. But he knew with 100% certainty he could say it to Pep without any censure or recourse whatsoever - so he did. I agree an all out war on the media is a war you will never win and it would be foolish. However, we do need to win the odd battle or two to ensure the war they have waged upon us since the takeover is toned down or stopped.
no need for legal action i'd just have lawyers sat at there tables in the media refreshment room and quiz them and make them feel very uncomfy

Well, Eddie hasn't done a bad job so far pissing on the fires the RDAHMeedya, AND CERTAIN PL MANAGER(S) are starting re NUFC.

no need for legal action i'd just have lawyers sat at there tables in the media refreshment room and quiz them and make them feel very uncomfy
Bans are pointless. Rob Harris doesn’t go to games at the Etihad. Neither does Jonathan Liew. Neither does Delaney, Wilson, Ronay or any of the other clowns.

" Scousers are offended by everything and ashamed of nothing.
This stunt they pulled after Joe was bottled was a riff off the old 'I'm Spartacus' 'No I'm Spartacus' gag they used to pull in Liverpool's pubs when the police/DSS/criminal enforcers came looking for someone. In fact, it was such a legendary thing around Scouseland that The Farm called their debut album after it"

Those are your words Longsight from a post over 10 years ago in March 2012. Brilliant sir.
We'd hardly started our success back then - somethings don't change :)

(Your post was the 1st link on a simple google search " joe corrigan hit by bottle")
Haha wow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.