Media thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still annoyed that they were allowed to bastardise the English language when altering the definition of what a billion is, and for that matter also a trillion and a quadrillion!

The clue is in the word for fucks sake!
Yep, a thousand millions are a few zeros shy of a billion, but thanks to yanks the metrics are wank.

I tend to agree with you, and wouldn't limit it only to the language. It irritates me greatly, for instance, that we now need to have Proms in Britain when our kids leave school or we have Black Friday sales, in both cases just because Americans have them. I generally write in British English in my job unless we'd specifically addressing an American client. but the -ize suffix dates back in British English to the 15th century and was used by Shakespeare so I have a fairly clear conscience with that particular point even though I mostly use -ise in personal writing.

Sometimes I forget myself, though, and can mix up my forms or occasionally even use an Americanism. I remember a few years back on here when posting about the Adam Johnson trial and mentioning that he'd be "on the stand" later in the day. The poster Coleridge, whom I haven't seen on here for ages but would like to see return, quite rightly tore a strip off me for not referring to the witness box.
Kinnell, who'd have thought Billy couldn't spell.

The only annoying thing is that we haven’t done it. How come no-one running City was smart enough to find this loophole?

Perhaps if they had we could have signed a left back this window and maybe even Bellingham or a fast winger so we had a chance of overtaking Arsenal and keeping those rag cunts from getting too close for comfort, which is criminal when you consider how shit they were for most of the home derby this season.

I would think that a major issue would be finding a player willing to be potentially tied to a club for 8 years, with whoever is the manager in the future. The player would likely be no more than 23 at the time of signing.

I don't view it as a loophole or particularly annoying - it seems pretty risky to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.