Media thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looked that one up mate, and yep, part of the show was on the train down from Lime Street.
Mind you they also had Freddie Starr & Michael Barrymore at the two team hotels.
This was on bbc, and it started at 11am. That’s the earliest start time they’ve ever had I think.
I hope they kept him away from the swimming pool.

I’m an FOC so I remember back in the 70s the BBC used to have a helicopter flying above the teams coaches making their way to Wembley with a full running commentary. I know it’s hard to comprehend but the FA Cup Final at that time was literally the biggest game in the world.
Yep, winning the FA cup back then was more glamorous and prestigious than winning the league.

Wembley was only used for Cup finals and far fewer England games than we have today so getting there was very special for players and fans. "Cup fever" was a term used for towns and city's whose teams had progressed to the latter stages when conversations at work, pub and in the home revolved around the teams progress. Even my mum and dad who had little or no interest in football always watched the cup final.

The FA Cup final was always the last game of the season and the only game shown live other than the European finals that came afterwards.

The advent of the EPL and CL rapidly relegated the FA cup to the poor relation of those two and Europa final.

Pep Guardiola, style icon​

by Harriet Walker, The Times

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F0def9eca-fb18-11ed-b4b8-3d9ef0ab72cb.jpg

He is the lean and tidy tactical genius whose Man City squad are on course for a historic treble of the Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League. Pep Guardiola, 52, is the most admired man in football: men want to look like him and their wives wish they did too.

A Lorca among the linesmen, the Spanish manager has a pitchside look that is most often a shell jacket, jumper and jeans, all in fitted beatnik black. He has been a fan of rave-era streetwear brands such as Stone Island and earned maximum local cool points when he appeared in a “MDCR” sweatshirt that evoked the city’s Madchester past. Yet he is just as often to be found in the one per cent’s favourite off-duty uniform: poloneck, blazer and tailored trousers, like some Stanley Tucci or Steve Jobs of the beautiful game.

Guardiola recently joined an elite tier of celebrities with items of clothing named after them. Jane Birkin inspired the Hermès bag, Blake Lively a Christian Louboutin heel: Pep is the face that launched a £70 pair of cargo pants on the streetwear site beeinspiredclothing.com (think AsSeenOnScreen-era Asos but for footballers).

This isn’t his first time as a fashion plate: Guardiola, then a Barcelona player, strolled the catwalk for the Catalan designer Antonio Miró in the Nineties. While his manager Johan Cruyff was annoyed, Miró was not — everything Pep wore sold out immediately. Grab those cargos while you still can.

"The name's Guardiola....

w768xh576_GettyImages-1240860200.jpg

Pep Guardiola"

Last edited:
exactly i remember watching cup finals in the 80’s on the tele coverage started 9am felt like showed the teams coaches making their way to wembley allsorts & was an all day affair it seemed, hasn’t been like that for decades sadly, i’ll be there so will only watch back if we win but it’s still a shame how it’s importance has been eroded. anyhow let’s beat those red clowns next week.
Thanks to Sky's desperation for some gravitas, back in the day, Liverpool v Manchester United now gets a greater build up than the FA Cup Final.
Even today, they still present faux sepia-tinted coverage of Gerrard and Giggs.
Meanwhile, what was once the greatest Cup of the lot is treated as an irritation.

Knock me down with a feather…..Fatty Crooks has 6 city players in his team of the season including Eddie…….
Sums him up, don’t think he has ever put Eddie in a team of a week but puts him in team of the season. Though any team of the year without Rodri in it shows those picking it do not understand football but we know that re Crooks already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.