Media thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only agree.
I taped the game on RTE (because I don't have facility to tape BT) and watched it back on the Sunday morning.
Arsenal employee, Liam Brady peddled all the leaked narrative about City supposedly obfuscating and (gasp!) having the temerity to employ lawyers etc ("they wouldn’t have been fined £10m if they were innocent"). He got through more than enough for three channels. He really behaved like a spoiled brat sneering shit of the lowest order.
Even if the other pundits (Richie Sadlier and Shay Given) were somewhat tempering the bile he was spouting with more reasoned argument ("wait and see" etc.), it was a really nasty and unbalanced look for RTE - and all before a ball had even been kicked on the night.

And OTB are even more vile than that. Never any attempt at balance from that shower. A redtop fanzine and nothing more.
I must of been watching a different RTE station as i thought the coverage was very positive and fair. Brady i thought praised City and in particular Pep alot while the presentater told how he and his son had been at the Real semi final and how incredible it was. Shay Given was totally delighted and the word from all at the end
was that City over the tournment were by far the best team and totally deserved their victory.

The club should ban the entire BBC from the ground, enough is enough now with them. Notice he opened comments so all the predictable responses re cheats with no facts, nothing about being 12th in Net spend over last 5 years. nothing about being good in the transfer market ie Akanji,Alverez, nope we just throw money at it so its easy to win the CL etc etc

I must of been watching a different RTE station as i thought the coverage was very positive and fair. Brady i thought praised City and in particular Pep alot while the presentater told how he and his son had been at the Real semi final and how incredible it was. Shay Given was totally delighted and the word from all at the end
was that City over the tournment were by far the best team and totally deserved their victory.
I'd say you did. I even said to my missus thank fuck I wasn't sitting through that with the game still in the balance.

As I recall, Tony O'Donoghue started things off with a hatchet job review of City's season that ended on the (paraphrasing here) "doubts surrounding City's legitimacy" or some such bollocks.

A five to 10 minute discussion ensued with Brady sneering all the way through. Absolutely no nuance whatsoever. Proper cuntish jibes. Couldn't get at the football, so he went for the man sort of thing. I mean how the fuck can you criticise a party for employing legal advice for a court case? Churned out the trope of City handpicking the bench too. He knows that's bollocks.
The other two were more balanced in fairness. Sadlier surprisingly so - albeit far from waving a City flag wth glee. He hasn't always been in the past but I suppose it's a sign of intelligence to learn enough to consider the counter argument. So fair ply to him on that.

At half time, they were critical of City (fair enough, we didn't play well although, it *felt* like they were mostly thrilled to see us struggling ). Between them, they offered not one glimmer of promise for our second half, preferring repeat how poorly we were playing and to talk up Inter's chances. Bacto then to Ronnie bastard Whelan on co-commentary for another 45 minutes of his constant cheerleading for whoever City play...

I didn't watch what they said at the end. The hurling as starting and that can't be missed. By then, I didn't care for their congratulations (or otherwise) anyway.

I'd say you did. I even said to my missus thank fuck I wasn't sitting through that with the game still in the balance.

As I recall, Tony O'Donoghue started things off with a hatchet job review of City's season that ended on the (paraphrasing here) "doubts surrounding City's legitimacy" or some such bollocks.

A five to 10 minute discussion ensued with Brady sneering all the way through. Absolutely no nuance whatsoever. Proper cuntish jibes. Couldn't get at the football, so he went for the man sort of thing. I mean how the fuck can you criticise a party for employing legal advice for a court case? Churned out the trope of City handpicking the bench too. He knows that's bollocks.
The other two were more balanced in fairness. Sadlier surprisingly so - albeit far from waving a City flag wth glee. He hasn't always been in the past but I suppose it's a sign of intelligence to learn enough to consider the counter argument. So fair ply to him on that.

At half time, they were critical of City (fair enough, we didn't play well although, it *felt* like they were mostly thrilled to see us struggling ). Between them, they offered not one glimmer of promise for our second half, preferring repeat how poorly we were playing and to talk up Inter's chances. Bacto then to Ronnie bastard Whelan on co-commentary for another 45 minutes of his constant cheerleading for whoever City play...

I didn't watch what they said at the end. The hurling as starting and that can't be missed. By then, I didn't care for their congratulations (or otherwise) anyway.
This coverage was very much a curates egg. I would very much agree with Mad and his account but I suppose Tommy116 was right to point out the positive aspects of this programme. The starting point is that RTE hate Manchester City they tend to favour the rags and dippers to an alarming degree. As for Brady as a former Gooner and having played in Italy he was always going to try to put the boot in. Had we lost it they would have had one almighty wankfest. Thanks be to god we won.

I thought that Meadows‘s Cup Final and career were ended by a knee ligament injury rather than a broken leg?
I asked his daughter today. He actually did both injuries at the same time

It is never mentioned but we only had 10 men for a lot of the match after Jimmie Meadows broke his leg. Similarly to that other chap from Blackburn that never gets mentioned, his name slips my memory.
And she said it's Jimmy, not Jimmie :)

It is ludicrous to canvass the opinion of players or even most sportswriters on knotty questions of law. I wonder what answers we would get if we asked a top KC for a critique of John Stone's hybrid role in the CL final. So, why do we expect informed answers from professional footballers on the complexities of competition law or practices in accountancy and auditing? And why are they so keen to answer questions many of them don't seem to understand? So, is that why clubs brief top quality council rather than use teach yourself books in such matters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.