Media thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 rules I'd immediately change in football are:

1. Scrap Offside completely. It gives needless advantages to a defending team for absolutely no sensible reason and the judging of it and the disallowing of great goals just cannot be justified any longer. This is an entertainment businesses and being caught offside or pmaying offside offers no entertainment whatsoever.

2. Scrap Penalty Kicks and introduce Penalty goals for when a foul or handball has stopped a certain goal. This would in an instant end players diving to win penalties and penalties being awarded for non goal preventing handballs. If it's an intentional handball then as in any other part of the field of play it's merely a free kick. If the hand ball was like Suarez in the World Cup and effectively a save then there is a goal awarded.

Just those 2 things would cut back on cheating and any bloody need for VAR anyway and I can guarantee it would be a better watch.

Neville constantly referring to our owners as Abu Dhabi. Why doesn’t he refer to the rags owners as America?

Or Republican snowbird Jewish Florida Cayman tax haven owned United
I've just quickly scanned through the article and literally lost count of the number of times "Abu Dhabi" was mentioned,the man's an utter twat!!

When City declared an interest in Kev, there were numerous stories of Bayern throwing their toys out of the pram because they thought he would be theirs. One of the Wolfsburg directors, if I remember correctly, was on the board of one of the huge multi national companies that sponsored Bayern and thought the deal was as good as done. It was fun getting one over the German rags.

When City declared an interest in Kev, there were numerous stories of Bayern throwing their toys out of the pram because they thought he would be theirs. One of the Wolfsburg directors, if I remember correctly, was on the board of one of the huge multi national companies that sponsored Bayern and thought the deal was as good as done. It was fun getting one over the German rags.

Mate, I was obviously exaggerating when I said no one had heard of him. My only point was I wouldn’t hold it against someone questioning at the time whether a bloke with a couple of years at an average German team was value for money at what I think was a near British record at the time.

I've highlighted this game before, as there were a number of incidents in it that illustrated the stupidity of the current law, and it's the game we played at West Ham, our first PL game in the 2019/20 season.

There was a goal disallowed because Sterling's shoulder blade (or something) was about 5mm offside. It took quite along time to decide if I recall but there was no way he could be described as gaining an advantage.

Then there was a similar incident involving Sterling, but this time he was deemed to be onside when the ball was played. He crossed it to Jesus, who had been stood a few yards offside when the move started, with the pass to Sterling. Jesus never moved but he was behind the ball when Sterling crossed so called onside, even though he'd clearly been gaining an advantage by standing where he did.

Then (and I think it was the same game) David Silva had been standing on the goal line, in an offside position when the ball was played but came back to pick up the ball, at which point he was well onside. Had he been clear of the last defender when he received the ball, then it would have been the right call, as he'd have gained an advantage. But he was deemed offside. In my opinion, where he stood conferred no advantage as he had to move back to receive the ball and had defenders between him and the goal when he did so.

All three calls were correct by the letter of the law but, in my view, wrong by the spirit.
Seem to remember the Sterling offside goal at WHU was deemed as armpit hair being off by the commentator.
A very recent example for me of a goal being disallowed correctly by the letter of the law but not in keeping with the spirit of the game was Connor Coady's for Everton on Saturday.
The undiluted passion of the toffees in celebration at the goal was tangible...... and then the dreaded passion killer arrived and with it deflation.

It's a disgrace that a former professional should be advocating hurting another professional and a double disgrace that the national broadcaster doesn't see anything wrong with highlighting his comments. But does anyone seriously expect better from the BBC where we're concerned?
But when we won 4-0 at Swansea in early 2018 Danny Murphy wanted to know why none of the Swansea players "had left something on" our lads. Where are the yellow cards? he wanted to know. He didn't advocate kicking opponents but why hadn't they kicked us?

Mate, I was obviously exaggerating when I said no one had heard of him. My only point was I wouldn’t hold it against someone questioning at the time whether a bloke with a couple of years at an average German team was value for money at what I think was a near British record at the time.
You’d have thought being named German player of the year might have given them a clue ?

13 goals & 27 assists in 50 league games in the 1½ years he was at Wolfsburg. Anyone who questioned it (even without the benefit of hindsight) was an idiot in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.