Mehdi Benatia

Mehdi Benatia tops Man City's wish list and £12m Roma defender could be first of many

Manchester City are considering Mehdi Benatia at Roma as their next centre-back purchase.

The Morocco star is widely regarded as the best central defender in Italy and has been watched closely by Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal in recent years.

Roma paid £12m to Udinese for him only last summer and he has continued to show why he is so well thought of with solid defensive displays and an attacking threat at set-pieces.

City have been holding talks with Porto over Eliaquim Mangala who is generally regarded to be over-priced while there is a similar situation with Aymeric Laporte at Athletic Bilbao who Barcelona have also enquired about.

French-born Benatia is a proven quality player who would form a formidable partnership with Vincent Kompany while allowing the likes of Matija Nastasic to develop.

Benatia had a trial at Chelsea during Jose Mourinho's first spell at the club and stayed in a house with Didier Drogba and Claude Makelele. However, despite being offered a deal, he wasn't keen on such a big move at that stage of his career and stayed with Marseille.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2629170/Mehdi-Benatia-tops-Man-Citys-wish-list-12m-Roma-defender-many.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -many.html</a>

Benatia is a player I've seen play three times live at the Olimpico this season. He is awesome.

He is one of the best four or five defenders currently playing in European football.

£12m though sounds like a wholly unrealistic price to land him though. I rather think something in excess of €20m sounds more like the starting fee that AS Roma would consider in bids by clubs.

If we did sign him our defence will be considerably strengthened. No question!

£12m seems incredibly low. Too low.

Possibility that Nastasic might also head their way in exchange? He was outstanding in his first season here but really doesn't suit the front foot defending the Pellegrini likes. Adding him to the deal would make it closer to Benatia's real value and Nastasic would fit like a glove in Italy.

CityStu said:
£12m seems incredibly low. Too low.

Possibility that Nastasic might also head their way in exchange? He was outstanding in his first season here but really doesn't suit the front foot defending the Pellegrini likes. Adding him to the deal would make it closer to Benatia's real value and Nastasic would fit like a glove in Italy.
£12m is how much Roma paid for him, not how much they'd sell him for. Given that they managed to get a combined £60m from selling Marquinos and Lamela, I very much doubt they'd sell Benatia for anything below and extortionate fee

i♥city! said:
sam-caddick said:
Roma will hold out for 30-40m easily, this is Italy after all.

Rumour has it that they are interested in either Kolarov or Nasty. So i can see a player +20m deal. Would rather see us use Nasty for the swap deal.

I said yesterday that Nastasic might become a victim of our homegrown quota needing filling, I can see him going and us putting Rekik in his place with Benatia coming in to partner Vinny.

Vinny, Benatia, MDM, Rekik??

sam-caddick said:
i♥city! said:
sam-caddick said:
Roma will hold out for 30-40m easily, this is Italy after all.

Rumour has it that they are interested in either Kolarov or Nasty. So i can see a player +20m deal. Would rather see us use Nasty for the swap deal.

I said yesterday that Nastasic might become a victim of our homegrown quota needing filling, I can see him going and us putting Rekik in his place with Benatia coming in to partner Vinny.

Vinny, Benatia, MDM, Rekik??

I'm for it!

Why sell Nastasic when Demichelis will probably leave in a year's time when his contract expires?

Nastasic is a baby for a defender and could be the best in the world by the time he's 25 for all we know.

Benatia aged 21 = French minnows Clermont
Mangala aged 21 = Porto's 4th choice defender
Thiago Silva aged 21 = unable to get a game at Dynamo Moscow

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.