Melbourne City FC Thread

I understood that we could invest in certain things - training facilities, infrastructure etc - even if not directly in playing staff. I’m not saying that’s the cure, but is that possible? Investing in Manchester has been incredibly popular and I wondered if this might help bridge the gap.

Ps. City being City we will thump Perth 3 - 0. :)

They have invested already. We have an expensive training base. Very similar to Manchester just on a,smaller scale. It is a major driver as to why we are attracting all of the best young players. For every national team level 17, 20 23 we have over 8 city players in the squads. Our women's team up until this season have been champions for 3 years in a row and we generally have 4 or 5 Matildas playing plus a few internationals and that mainly due to the CFA.

The issue as I see it CFG still don't understand Melbourne as a city.

Even if CFG don't understand Melbourne as a City the people working at the club should.

It's hard to pin down who is to blame, whether the locals are doing a bad job, or they've been operating with their hands tied behind their backs by CFG.

Joyce is a problem but you'd be naive to think the current problems are all Joyce related.

It's not irretrievable but whoever is running things they need to start talking to the supporters and more importantly listening to the supporters.

On a lighter note, it ended in tears but what a cracking signing Fornaroli was. Real shame it ended the way it did (whoever it was at fault)

The issue as I see it CFG still don't understand Melbourne as a city.

I would also counter with some A-league fans don't understand football. There's a lot of contradictory messaging going on. The expectation gap is unrealistic.

There's also the fact that many are simply fair weather in nature - which is evidenced by dwindling crowd numbers for most clubs who have a smattering of success and then fall on tougher times.

Last edited:
I would also counter with some A-league fans don't understand football. There's a lot of contradictory messaging going on. The expectation gap is unrealistic.

There's also the fact that many are simply fair weather in nature - which is evidenced by dwindling crowd numbers for most clubs who have a smattering of success and then fall on tougher times.

That's spot on.

This is definitely not a football City, and I still don't think CFG have grasped that. Without doubt A League supporters in general are fair weather. The League is less than a generation old and was artificially created so loyalty and traditions are non existent.

Basically it all comes down to product and when that's poor (League 2 at best) the punters are not interested. The FFA in trying to make a sustainable model has failed to take the game to next level. 4 or 5 seasons ago there was a genuine buzz and vibe but it has gone.

I think most A League fans do understand football but I agree with that the expectations are not realistic.

As with Melbourne City and CFG football in Australia has many deep rooted problems.

I understood that we could invest in certain things - training facilities, infrastructure etc - even if not directly in playing staff. I’m not saying that’s the cure, but is that possible? Investing in Manchester has been incredibly popular and I wondered if this might help bridge the gap.

Ps. City being City we will thump Perth 3 - 0. :)
Here's hoping, it's still 31 degree celsius so it's a relatively hot one, whoever copes best may come out on top.
CFG did invest in facilities and they are brilliant, but it only goes so far. In a salary capped league the playing field is pretty level when it comes to players, managers and coaching staff is a different matter, it's the one big area which could make a huge difference. Instead of getting the work experience youth coach, maybe someone a little better could be beneficial.
Tony Popovic is in his first season with Perth Glory are top of the league and they haven't been near there for years, Sydney FC top of the league the past three years lost their coach and went for an unproven one, they are a shadow of themselves this season. The reason I point these guys out is that in this league, the coach is the biggest way to make a difference between the other clubs, because there are no restrictions at all.

Up 2-0. McLaren with both. Been a good half. 34 mins in.

Last edited:
Pretty hot. But 2:0,at the break and totally dominating.

Only we can balls it up from here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.