Melbourne City FC Thread

Re: Melbourne Heart FC Thread

<a class="postlink" href="http://m.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-heart-in-bid-for-new-look-20140418-zqwfs.html#ixzz2zGbB8XNm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://m.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbou ... z2zGbB8XNm</a>

Melbourne Heart may not just play in a similar uniform as Manchester City next season, but could be wearing a near exact replica playing strip.

The application to change the club's identity will include a uniform involving the same kit manufacturer and front-of-shirt sponsor as the English Premier League giants. 

The identity change is yet to be approved by the Football Federation of Australia but Fairfax Media understands that should the governing body accept the proposals, the club will wear a sky blue Nike jersey with Etihad Airlines as sponsor, just like its parent club. 

Under the proposed application, Melbourne Heart will be renamed Melbourne City, its logo will be changed and its home uniform be white socks, white shorts and a sky blue jersey. 

FFA chief executive David Gallop confirmed negotiations with Melbourne Heart and its owners regarding a change of the club's identity, but said there has not been a decision made as to whether Melbourne City will take form under the proposed terms.

"We have received an application from Melbourne Heart/Melbourne City and are still working through our process regarding the request for a change," Gallop said. 

The proposed re-branding of the A-League club sparked tensions with Sydney FC over the clash of identity with a sporting brand known as "The Sky Blues" as well as earning the ire of some of the more hardened fans of Melbourne Heart.

Heart's supporter group unveiled banners proclaiming "Keep Melbourne Red & White" at its final home game of the season against Western Sydney Wanderers last weekend, though a proposed name-change to Melbourne City hasn't been met with as much widespread discontent.

Melbourne Heart registered the lowest single crowd attendance of the season and has traditionally struggled with average attendances. City's takeover is regarded by some involved in the process as a much-needed facelift for a club that has been dwarfed by the success of Melbourne Victory. 

MelbourneBlue said:
http://m.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-heart-in-bid-for-new-look-20140418-zqwfs.html#ixzz2zGbB8XNm

Melbourne Heart may not just play in a similar uniform as Manchester City next season, but could be wearing a near exact replica playing strip.

The application to change the club's identity will include a uniform involving the same kit manufacturer and front-of-shirt sponsor as the English Premier League giants. 

The identity change is yet to be approved by the Football Federation of Australia but Fairfax Media understands that should the governing body accept the proposals, the club will wear a sky blue Nike jersey with Etihad Airlines as sponsor, just like its parent club. 

Under the proposed application, Melbourne Heart will be renamed Melbourne City, its logo will be changed and its home uniform be white socks, white shorts and a sky blue jersey. 

FFA chief executive David Gallop confirmed negotiations with Melbourne Heart and its owners regarding a change of the club's identity, but said there has not been a decision made as to whether Melbourne City will take form under the proposed terms.

"We have received an application from Melbourne Heart/Melbourne City and are still working through our process regarding the request for a change," Gallop said. 

The proposed re-branding of the A-League club sparked tensions with Sydney FC over the clash of identity with a sporting brand known as "The Sky Blues" as well as earning the ire of some of the more hardened fans of Melbourne Heart.

Heart's supporter group unveiled banners proclaiming "Keep Melbourne Red & White" at its final home game of the season against Western Sydney Wanderers last weekend, though a proposed name-change to Melbourne City hasn't been met with as much widespread discontent.

Melbourne Heart registered the lowest single crowd attendance of the season and has traditionally struggled with average attendances. City's takeover is regarded by some involved in the process as a much-needed facelift for a club that has been dwarfed by the success of Melbourne Victory. 

The club has been around for 5 years. Their fans are far too precious. I'd wait a bit longer for the right club with deserving fans.

TonyM said:
MelbourneBlue said:
http://m.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-heart-in-bid-for-new-look-20140418-zqwfs.html#ixzz2zGbB8XNm

The club has been around for 5 years. Their fans are far too precious. I'd wait a bit longer for the right club with deserving fans.
Yeah who gives a fuck about hearts fans, let city be their woman and change everything the club until its unrecognisable.

Wonder what the fans want investment in the club and push them on to be one of the best clubs in Australia or we leave alone

speaking as a fan of another club in the league i would like some of the red and white retained(there is some good jersey mock ups with mostly man city blue with a bit of red and white, i wouldn't want to see them transformed into a mini Manchester city just like i wouldn't like to see them transformed into a mini Liverpool fc if they were bought by them, maybe 10% should be their old kit but the other 90% should be city.

i think its ideal if they still retain part of their old colours while making it easy for anyone to look at them and associate them with Manchester City without them even knowing that they are owned by Manchester City, dont get me wrong i am very glad that Manchester City bought them because they were very dire to watch and now its going to be much more exciting but i hope they retain a small part of their colours

G'day lads,

I am actually a fan of the Heart and post regularly on their forums. My personal opinion is that I am very excited/grateful of the take over of Man City of our club and love the idea of the club becoming apart of the City group, as its called in our media. In regards to the colours, I can say this here because I would probably be shot if I said it over on the Heart forums haha but I would preferre if we wore sky blue and our away kit would be red and white as a compromise, so we could become an identifiable part of the city group. I agree with the above post about how noone knew the city of melbourne colours before the heart (originally heart was going to be red white and black anyway) so although I can see the point of having a club called Melbourne city and having red and white.

FWIW I may be the type of person that the City group is trying to attract as I have never followed the EPL, except years ago when I was a kid and Viduka was at leeds (all we had was a one hour highlights show on monday nights) but I have found myself starting to watch city games and to take an interest. Not sure how many of me there is in Melbourne as our rivals, Melbourne Victory, had a 5 year head start and are the biggest club in the country. Plus, the Melbourne market is very saturated. But, I still think the takeover is going to be a huge success and will transform our league so I am very happy to be on board so to speak.

There are people on the Heart forums who are very pissed off about a colour change but they are about only 8 posters who are just very vocal. The cynic in me knows that they will be back as soon as we start winning games ;)

Falastur said:
More particularly, Heart fans have an issue with sky blue as it's the colours of New South Wales sport, and Victoria and NSW have a rivalry to match Manchester/Liverpool or the English North/South divide.

PSmyth07 said:
What's the reason for this colour change anyways?

City want all their teams to look and play the same for brand identification purposes.

I reckon that's gilding the lilly a fair bit with that statement mate...

greasedupdeafguy said:
TonyM said:
MelbourneBlue said:

Yeah who gives a fuck about hearts fans, let city be their woman and change everything the club until its unrecognisable.
We changed from Gorton FC to Ardwick AFC to Manchester City FC; and we changed from a black strip to royal/white stripes with black shorts to sky/white halves and eventually to the sky blue shirts with white shorts and navy socks.

United were originally Newton Heath who played in yellow/green halves, Arsenal were Woolwich Arsenal and played in maroon, Everton used to play at Anfield before Liverpool even existed, Juventus used to play in all pink, Warrington Wolves were once just Warrington RLFC who did play in the same primrose and blue they do now but they used to be called Warrington Zingari and played in black/red hoops.

In the early years of a club things can change very quickly as the club may look upon it as they may not survive long term as the outfit they are currently or at least would be far better off with a change. This is Melbourne Heart's fourth year of existence. They are crap and attract very few fans. They are going to change and within 25 years "Heart" and the 'red/white' will just be a memory and nobody will particularly care.

billymumphrey said:
Falastur said:
More particularly, Heart fans have an issue with sky blue as it's the colours of New South Wales sport, and Victoria and NSW have a rivalry to match Manchester/Liverpool or the English North/South divide.

PSmyth07 said:
What's the reason for this colour change anyways?

City want all their teams to look and play the same for brand identification purposes.

The big sporting rivalry in Aus is NSW v Queensland. NSW colours are sky and navy, Ql's is maroon. Manly Sea Eagles who are a NSW RL team play in maroon but i don't think their fans particularly care that that is the colour of Ql.

KippaxCitizen said:
billymumphrey said:
Falastur said:

The big sporting rivalry in Aus is NSW v Queensland. NSW colours are sky and navy, Ql's is maroon. Manly Sea Eagles who are a NSW RL team play in maroon but i don't think their fans particularly care that that is the colour of Ql.
Yeah, if I supported a team called 'Manly Sea Eagles' I'd be far more worried about the camp name tbf. :D

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.