Melbourne City FC Thread

Falastur said:
According to reports, they've just signed Robert Koren after he left Hull on a free.

The Melbourne fans seem to be divided between those who think he's a very tidy signing and those who are aggrieved that he's not a big enough name for a club which is trying to have a revolution in publicity and attractiveness to new fans (bearing in mind that if he signs, Melbourne will not be able to sign any more foreign "marquee" players so he will represent the peak of their spending).

While I am sure he will make a substantive contribution, it does seem a bit underwhelming in every other regard.

It would be similar to NYCFC using their last DP slot to sign Scott Sinclair.

SebastianBlue said:
Falastur said:
According to reports, they've just signed Robert Koren after he left Hull on a free.

The Melbourne fans seem to be divided between those who think he's a very tidy signing and those who are aggrieved that he's not a big enough name for a club which is trying to have a revolution in publicity and attractiveness to new fans (bearing in mind that if he signs, Melbourne will not be able to sign any more foreign "marquee" players so he will represent the peak of their spending).

While I am sure he will make a substantive contribution, it does seem a bit underwhelming in every other regard.

True. I have a suspicion that they're simply struggling to persuade players to come to Australia, but I'm sure that as time passes attitudes will change and they will get some impressive names signing on.

Falastur said:
SebastianBlue said:
Falastur said:

True. I have a suspicion that they're simply struggling to persuade players to come to Australia, but I'm sure that as time passes attitudes will change and they will get some impressive names signing on.

Koren was at the Melbourne v Bolton match tonight with Brian Marwood. Melbourne won 5-1 was quite an entertaining match.

Fallingbostel Blue said:
Falastur said:
SebastianBlue said:

Koren was at the Melbourne v Bolton match tonight with Brian Marwood. Melbourne won 5-1 was quite an entertaining match.

I hope Marwood is going back to Australia with them.

Fallingbostel Blue said:
Falastur said:
SebastianBlue said:

Koren was at the Melbourne v Bolton match tonight with Brian Marwood.
Melbourne won 5-1 was quite an entertaining match.

I now fully understand that transfer.

Pretty sure I remember Koren having a trial with us around the 05/06 or 06/07 season, can anyone confirm this?

JoeMercer'sWay said:
Australia is way behind in domestic league terms, it's no surprise they aren't attracting huge names.

They get Villa on loan and that is a huge deal for them. It's the first step but they're a fair way behind NYC in being attractive.

The FFA rules aren't exactly helping. The maximum allowed budget for A-League teams is something like a third of what MLS teams are allowed and they are only allowed five foreign players to MLS's eight. Unlike MLS, where they are supposedly about to vastly increase the salary cap and increase the number of marquee player slots, FFA is reportedly about to reduce the number of foreign players allowed to four, too.

There's a number of stories circulating that Lampard was on the verge of signing a six-month loan with Melbourne when FFA announced that they'd just changed the loans rules to be much stricter, forcing City to rip up the offer and send him to Manchester as a last resort.

A mate of mine living out in NZ has just told me he's bought his Wellington Phoenix season ticket for the A-League season, which starts in about 2 weeks.

How's it going with Melbourne City now ? Has the fanbase been boosted or eroded, what with the name change, kit change and whatever else ? This thread's a bit quiet given the season will start fairly shortly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.