Memorable FA Cup 4th round ties

I have a memorable F.A cup 4th round for the bad old Swales days.January 1983 at Brighton lost 4-0 days later John Bond resigns.I will never forget that match or year it was a complete disaster!!!!

<a class="postlink" href="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3TFfvetbYqc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3TFfvetbYqc</a>

Not sure if this link will work but someone more computer savvy can probably sort if it doesn't.

Said QPR game

Good call DD.We went to that game overnight in a hired van from Salford Van Hire which I drove. We left Whitefield at last orders on the Friday night to riotous scenes in the back of the transit. Beer being flung about and singing at full-voice etc. By the time we got to Luton they were all giving it zedzzz. Anyway I parked up the van right outside the BBC in Shepherd's Bush about 4am or something daft. I was bollocksed myself and dying for a kip. No chance, a soon as the van stopped up they all popped as loud and raucous as before! Ended up with fuck all kip.

Luckily I arranged to drive down on the proviso that one of the other lads would on the way home. Cue drinking from about 7am. By the time the game comes around and after a mega session in the Springbok we had to be the most pissed City fans in the ground! I remember shitting it every time Les Ferdinand got the ball (he's been injured but spent a full week sleeping in an oxygen tent to get fit for this game!) but our fans were brilliant. We were stood right behind the net and when we scored you could see us all going mad on the telly if you did a freeze-frame. What a brilliant trip, a brilliant day and until we beat the Rags at Wembley it was my favourite day out in the FA Cup.

JOGAMIGMOG said:
Good call DD.We went to that game overnight in a hired van from Salford Van Hire which I drove. We left Whitefield at last orders on the Friday night to riotous scenes in the back of the transit. Beer being flung about and singing at full-voice etc. By the time we got to Luton they were all giving it zedzzz. Anyway I parked up the van right outside the BBC in Shepherd's Bush about 4am or something daft. I was bollocksed myself and dying for a kip. No chance, a soon as the van stopped up they all popped as loud and raucous as before! Ended up with fuck all kip.

Luckily I arranged to drive down on the proviso that one of the other lads would on the way home. Cue drinking from about 7am. By the time the game comes around and after a mega session in the Springbok we had to be the most pissed City fans in the ground! I remember shitting it every time Les Ferdinand got the ball (he's been injured but spent a full week sleeping in an oxygen tent to get fit for this game!) but our fans were brilliant. We were stood right behind the net and when we scored you could see us all going mad on the telly if you did a freeze-frame. What a brilliant trip, a brilliant day and until we beat the Rags at Wembley it was my favourite day out in the FA Cup.
That springbok pub was always a brilliant away fans pub. I went to qpr loads of time back then and very time there would be hundreds of blues, many outside, standing on tables and generally ballooning around.

Didsbury Dave said:
I'm going to nominate QPR away in 1993.

This was a time of optimism amongst city fans. We appeared to have ridden our first fall from grace under Swales in the 1980s, and had a good team built around a spine of coton, Curle, Quinn, white etc, Howard Kendall then Peter Reid had us challenging at the top of the table for once and we were developing a new platt lane stand. We still weren't title material, but the club felt quite stable, our financial troubles seemed to be behind us and the FA Cup represented our best chance of ending our trophy draut. And in those days the fa cup still retained its full traditional magic as money wasn't quite yet the god of football. We took a big following to loftus road and were allocated the terracing and seats behind the goal along with a terrace up the side; probably 6000 or so. Before the game the pubs of the Area were packed with racous city fans. I travelled without a ticket and bought one on the day in the seats up the side, and as the game kicked off it was obvious hundreds of blues had done the same.

The atmosphere was a proper old school, surging on the terraces, huge noise from the city fans. It was a tense, ding dong game and then late on city bagged two, a screamer from David white and a tap in from Michel Vonk. Cue the largely dead fa cup classic song which sent the hairs on the backof your neck up in these situations, when you really believed that your name was on the cup; "we're on the march with Reidy's army,we're all going to wembley". It remains to me the best ever football song. When you start the second rendition with the twin towers in your heart, it was truly special to be following your team.

Qpr bagged a late goal, adding tension to this heady brew, until the final whistle sent us into delirium. We marched out of the ground with a dream in our heart and a return to glory in our minds.

Of course we imploded against spurs in the quarter final to a riot, and this precipitated our second modern day plummet into the doldrums. And when we returned the FA Cup wasnt what it was and in some ways football wasnt either. But for that day, at the end of am era, we were kings.

Apologies, got a bit carried away with the memories there. What's your favourite FA Cup 4th round memory?

That'll get my vote as well. Was at that game in the seats in the top tier. Directly behind the goal on the first row. Both goals were scored at our end as well if I remember right.

Didsbury Dave said:
JOGAMIGMOG said:

That springbok pub was always a brilliant away fans pub. I went to qpr loads of time back then and very time there would be hundreds of blues, many outside, standing on tables and generally ballooning around.

We did too and each time in the Springbok. The League Cup win (4-3?) was a great night match in London. Remember Nicky Summerbee scoring a brilliant goal. We had seats in the top tier marked 'diabolical view' on them for that game - the diabolical bit being you couldn't see the bottom of the goal behind the net. I've sat in worse seats! Happy days, long before I was priced out of away matches.

DTKOAG said:
Norwich 1981 won 6-0.
Reached the final that year with the signings of Gow,Hutchinson,Reeves etc.. Again another false dawn and relegation within 2 years.
Same for me as well. I moved to Ireland in '82, so I haven't been to a fourth round tie since.

JOGAMIGMOG said:
Didsbury Dave said:
JOGAMIGMOG said:

We did too and each time in the Springbok. The League Cup win (4-3?) was a great night match in London. Remember Nicky Summerbee scoring a brilliant goal. We had seats in the top tier marked 'diabolical view' on them for that game - the diabolical bit being you couldn't see the bottom of the goal behind the net. I've sat in worse seats! Happy days, long before I was priced out of away matches.
That 4-3 was a great night. I was on that top tier too. Cracking atmosphere. "City, we're from Manchester" to the Pet Shop Boys, Go West got a few airings that night.

JOGAMIGMOG said:
Didsbury Dave said:
JOGAMIGMOG said:

Was at that one too, and others. Was the 4-3 the one where we scored because the keeper leathered it and it hit Walsh and went in?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.