Memorable FA Cup 4th round ties

City v Coventry City

It was an awful match but right in the very last minute after the stadium had started to empty Goater scored to prompt wild celebrations and an invasion of the Main Stand by Coventry fans in the North Stand. They waded through banks of empty seats and there wasn't really much of a confrontation. There wouldn't be as that was where the families and older people used to sit with blankets and thermos flasks.

It lasted longer than might be expected as the Police had left the ground and couldn't get back in as the crowds were leaving the stadium and so it was left to stewards to keep the fans apart.

We went out at Liverpool in the next round. It must have been around 2000 as it was Goater and we were back in the Premiership under Joe Royle.

Marvin said:
City v Coventry City
It was 2001 i went to the next match at Liverpool
It was an awful match but right in the very last minute after the stadium had started to empty Goater scored to prompt wild celebrations and an invasion of the Main Stand by Coventry fans in the North Stand. They waded through banks of empty seats and there wasn't really much of a confrontation. There wouldn't be as that was where the families and older people used to sit with blankets and thermos flasks.

It lasted longer than might be expected as the Police had left the ground and couldn't get back in as the crowds were leaving the stadium and so it was left to stewards to keep the fans apart.

We went out at Liverpool in the next round. It must have been around 2000 as it was Goater and we were back in the Premiership under Joe Royle.

Marvin said:
City v Coventry City

That's like a normal night out in Coventry. It was 2001. Sven was at the game in his capacity of England manager iirc.

Didsbury Dave said:
JOGAMIGMOG said:
Didsbury Dave said:
That springbok pub was always a brilliant away fans pub. I went to qpr loads of time back then and very time there would be hundreds of blues, many outside, standing on tables and generally ballooning around.

We did too and each time in the Springbok. The League Cup win (4-3?) was a great night match in London. Remember Nicky Summerbee scoring a brilliant goal. We had seats in the top tier marked 'diabolical view' on them for that game - the diabolical bit being you couldn't see the bottom of the goal behind the net. I've sat in worse seats! Happy days, long before I was priced out of away matches.
Was at that one too, and others. Was the 4-3 the one where we scored because the keeper leathered it and it hit Walsh and went in?

No, the one where it went in off Walsh's nose was a league match, in the 4-3 game Beagrie scored with a cracking volley at the away end.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
Marvin said:
City v Coventry City

That's like a normal night out in Coventry. It was 2001. Sven was at the game in his capacity of England manager iirc.
Gordon Davies spot on yet again.Your better talking about football than when you played for are very poor team in the 80s

That's just reminded me of another cracking 4th round memory. Coventry away 1996. Again I was in their end with other blues. Was always good fun in that sort of underground pub there. It was a night game, because the previous game had gone to at least one replay. It had been snowing and much of the first half consisted of snowball throwing at players and between fans.

From memory we went 2-1 up late in the game in the full knowledge that we had united in the next round. They scored in the last minute to make it 2-2. The group of us blues in their end ended up scrapping with some of their fans, rolling in the snow at the front of the stand.

I've still got a full film of photos from that night.

Didsbury Dave said:
I'm going to nominate QPR away in 1993.

This was a time of optimism amongst city fans. We appeared to have ridden our first fall from grace under Swales in the 1980s, and had a good team built around a spine of coton, Curle, Quinn, white etc, Howard Kendall then Peter Reid had us challenging at the top of the table for once and we were developing a new platt lane stand. We still weren't title material, but the club felt quite stable, our financial troubles seemed to be behind us and the FA Cup represented our best chance of ending our trophy draut. And in those days the fa cup still retained its full traditional magic as money wasn't quite yet the god of football. We took a big following to loftus road and were allocated the terracing and seats behind the goal along with a terrace up the side; probably 6000 or so. Before the game the pubs of the Area were packed with racous city fans. I travelled without a ticket and bought one on the day in the seats up the side, and as the game kicked off it was obvious hundreds of blues had done the same.

The atmosphere was a proper old school, surging on the terraces, huge noise from the city fans. It was a tense, ding dong game and then late on city bagged two, a screamer from David white and a tap in from Michel Vonk. Cue the largely dead fa cup classic song which sent the hairs on the backof your neck up in these situations, when you really believed that your name was on the cup; "we're on the march with Reidy's army,we're all going to wembley". It remains to me the best ever football song. When you start the second rendition with the twin towers in your heart, it was truly special to be following your team.

Qpr bagged a late goal, adding tension to this heady brew, until the final whistle sent us into delirium. We marched out of the ground with a dream in our heart and a return to glory in our minds.

Of course we imploded against spurs in the quarter final to a riot, and this precipitated our second modern day plummet into the doldrums. And when we returned the FA Cup wasnt what it was and in some ways football wasnt either. But for that day, at the end of am era, we were kings.

Apologies, got a bit carried away with the memories there. What's your favourite FA Cup 4th round memory?
It was holloway who got the late goal dd

baildon blue said:
Marvin said:
City v Coventry City

Gordon Davies spot on yet again.Your better talking about football than when you played for are very poor team in the 80s
I'm a late developer :-)

mancunial said:
Didsbury Dave said:
I'm going to nominate QPR away in 1993.

This was a time of optimism amongst city fans. We appeared to have ridden our first fall from grace under Swales in the 1980s, and had a good team built around a spine of coton, Curle, Quinn, white etc, Howard Kendall then Peter Reid had us challenging at the top of the table for once and we were developing a new platt lane stand. We still weren't title material, but the club felt quite stable, our financial troubles seemed to be behind us and the FA Cup represented our best chance of ending our trophy draut. And in those days the fa cup still retained its full traditional magic as money wasn't quite yet the god of football. We took a big following to loftus road and were allocated the terracing and seats behind the goal along with a terrace up the side; probably 6000 or so. Before the game the pubs of the Area were packed with racous city fans. I travelled without a ticket and bought one on the day in the seats up the side, and as the game kicked off it was obvious hundreds of blues had done the same.

The atmosphere was a proper old school, surging on the terraces, huge noise from the city fans. It was a tense, ding dong game and then late on city bagged two, a screamer from David white and a tap in from Michel Vonk. Cue the largely dead fa cup classic song which sent the hairs on the backof your neck up in these situations, when you really believed that your name was on the cup; "we're on the march with Reidy's army,we're all going to wembley". It remains to me the best ever football song. When you start the second rendition with the twin towers in your heart, it was truly special to be following your team.

Qpr bagged a late goal, adding tension to this heady brew, until the final whistle sent us into delirium. We marched out of the ground with a dream in our heart and a return to glory in our minds.

Of course we imploded against spurs in the quarter final to a riot, and this precipitated our second modern day plummet into the doldrums. And when we returned the FA Cup wasnt what it was and in some ways football wasnt either. But for that day, at the end of am era, we were kings.

Apologies, got a bit carried away with the memories there. What's your favourite FA Cup 4th round memory?
It was holloway who got the late goal dd
Could have sworn it was Ferdinand. He was the 'next big thing' at the time and I remember we were all scared of him. Curle was out injured I think too.

Didsbury Dave said:
Dodge MCFC said:
Was Blackpool away a 4th round tie when we had Paul Moulden playing upfront for us and Blackpool had Paul Stewart ? Anyway proper carnage that day ....... we lost 2-1 , there was a riot and one stand lost most of its roof , as good old City fuck ups go that day was right up there alright !
Not the same, but I remember the 1988 FA Cup run included a fourth round tie at Blackpool, which at the time really was a terrible ground. We were losing 1-0 and in the very last minute the mother of all goalmouth scrambles ended with the ball falling to Lakey who shot - the ball hit the post, came out and bounced against a defender and in to the net. The City fans went absolutely mental and I banged my knee against the crush barrier - real mixture of joy and pain.

Good cup run that year.

Edit: just found it on Youtube - it's terrible quality but definitely worth a watch. The goal's from about 3.10.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0AZ5ZII4dU[/youtube]
We had 2 or maybe 3 cup ties at Blackpool. The first in the mid 80s was a messy one. City smashed the place up.

I remember going to Blackpool when it was chaos, crushes and allsorts in the stand with fans being helped onto the pitch, it was a shithole.....<br /><br />-- Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:09 am --<br /><br />Memorable for other than football reasons:
Shrewsbury, we were pig awfull....and Halifax, were shit again but the most memorable part was the corrogated ground being pulled down by the City fans...They probably re-built it in a day...........?!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.