Memories from the Kippax

Big Swifty said:
My worst memory was being taken short and having to use a cubicle in the bogs near the turnstiles at the back of the Kippax. They were absolutely vile, but I had to go. The experience haunts me to this day.
Also standing on the Kippax as a lad when it was uncovered, on a day it poured down. I got drenched, and got a right bollocking off my ma when I got home, but it was a better view than from the Platt Lane covered (seatless) stand. How many recall the open Kippax now?

Bloody Hell Big Swifty, how old are you? The Kippax without a roof. Are you getting our Kippax mixed up with the town of Kippax on the cobbled side of the M62.

My memories of the Kip are mixed. Some bloody good days and nights when the place was full and we were doing OK, the Etihad will never match those atmospheres. Completely different when the place was half empty and having to listen to miserable old buggers talking about the good old days.

I'm still traumatised after using those bogs at the back of the Kippax. You needed wellies and a gas mask just to point Percy at the porcelain. Glad I never needed a dump, doubt I would have survived the ordeal.

Blue Mist said:
Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
As a kid, looking for the 'best' place to watch before I settled on the old uncovered North Stand, I remember seeing THREE City place kicks in the last ten minutes. On eighty mins we were whipping Wolves 3-1 and then from the halfway line, as a Manchester smog descended on Moss Side, all I saw was the three place kicks and a 4-3 reverse. So all you buggers who haven't got over the Real reverse, 2-1 up with five mins to go, if yer true and blue, yer won't have got over it by 2065!

Dave, I take it you now reside in the States because f*ck knows what a 'place kick' is but I think the match you are refering to was the League Cup. If this is the right match I was with my old man in the Platt Lane and as you say we were 3-1 down. There was one penalty (F.H. Lee duly obliged) Bell scored another but I cant remember who got the third of the goals to put us ahead. I am sure bar Lee's penalty all were from open play. I remember knowing just knowing that with that kind of performance we were sure to go all the way to Wembley. We drew Bury away in the next round and lost 1-0 !!! Typical bloody City.

I remember the Wolves League Cup game (71-72), but I think Big Dave is referring to the 4-3 home defeat against Wolves during the 57-58 season when the scoring sequence was similar, but in reverse.
This was the Munich season when Wolves won the League.

Does anybody remember the 1-0 victory over Sunderland in 1977?
Sunderland had been stranded at the bottom all season, but suddenly began to win a few games. It was a night match and they brought thousands.
Also the 1-0 victory over Aston Villa in 81 when the Villa fans in the Kippax ruined the minute silence for Bill Taylor.

Alex the Blue said:
Big Swifty said:
My worst memory was being taken short and having to use a cubicle in the bogs near the turnstiles at the back of the Kippax. They were absolutely vile, but I had to go. The experience haunts me to this day.
Also standing on the Kippax as a lad when it was uncovered, on a day it poured down. I got drenched, and got a right bollocking off my ma when I got home, but it was a better view than from the Platt Lane covered (seatless) stand. How many recall the open Kippax now?

Bloody Hell Big Swifty, how old are you? The Kippax without a roof. Are you getting our Kippax mixed up with the town of Kippax on the cobbled side of the M62.

My memories of the Kip are mixed. Some bloody good days and nights when the place was full and we were doing OK, the Etihad will never match those atmospheres. Completely different when the place was half empty and having to listen to miserable old buggers talking about the good old days.

I'm still traumatised after using those bogs at the back of the Kippax. You needed wellies and a gas mask just to point Percy at the porcelain. Glad I never needed a dump, doubt I would have survived the ordeal.

Oh those stinky, rancid 'orrid bogs that stunk of rancid, gone off salmon,and processed beer (aroma of piss). Never had to have a dump ther thankfully. Pity anyone who did.

Then in start of 1988/1989 Peter Swales said in the programe notes that he'd "spruced" up the toilets - as if trying to impress us. Could have fooled me. Rancid...

City 1 Chelsea 1 1971 said:
Blue Mist said:
Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
As a kid, looking for the 'best' place to watch before I settled on the old uncovered North Stand, I remember seeing THREE City place kicks in the last ten minutes. On eighty mins we were whipping Wolves 3-1 and then from the halfway line, as a Manchester smog descended on Moss Side, all I saw was the three place kicks and a 4-3 reverse. So all you buggers who haven't got over the Real reverse, 2-1 up with five mins to go, if yer true and blue, yer won't have got over it by 2065!

Dave, I take it you now reside in the States because f*ck knows what a 'place kick' is but I think the match you are refering to was the League Cup. If this is the right match I was with my old man in the Platt Lane and as you say we were 3-1 down. There was one penalty (F.H. Lee duly obliged) Bell scored another but I cant remember who got the third of the goals to put us ahead. I am sure bar Lee's penalty all were from open play. I remember knowing just knowing that with that kind of performance we were sure to go all the way to Wembley. We drew Bury away in the next round and lost 1-0 !!! Typical bloody City.

I remember the Wolves League Cup game (71-72), but I think Big Dave is referring to the 4-3 home defeat against Wolves during the 57-58 season when the scoring sequence was similar, but in reverse.

Sunderland had been stranded at the bottom all season, but suddenly began to win a few games. It was a night match and they brought thousands.
Also the 1-0 victory over Aston Villa in 81 when the Villa fans in the Kippax ruined the minute silence for Bill Taylor.

Cheers for the possible correction.....shit I was just being born in 58 ! But I still dont know what a place kick is/was !!

Blue Mist said:
City 1 Chelsea 1 1971 said:
Blue Mist said:

Cheers for the possible correction.....shit I was just being born in 58 ! But I still dont know what a place kick is/was !!
I know what you mean. I was watching ESPN the other day and apparently City are 3 for 5 against the rags.

In reply to Alex the Blue's indelicate question regarding my age, my username has been chosen purposely to reflect a more leisurely era, and is something of a clue. But I am surprised that the uncovered Kippax is regarded as "a long time ago"...........it only seems like yesterday - and you know what a lousy day yesterday was...(Les Dawson, 1978).
Amazingly, I still have all my marbles. If I told you what TV shows I have graced, you might see me in a different light. Anyway, back to my Horlicks, cardigan and slippers in the Old Folks' Home.

Big Swifty said:
In reply to Alex the Blue's indelicate question regarding my age, my username has been chosen purposely to reflect a more leisurely era, and is something of a clue. But I am surprised that the uncovered Kippax is regarded as "a long time ago"...........it only seems like yesterday - and you know what a lousy day yesterday was...(Les Dawson, 1978).
Amazingly, I still have all my marbles. If I told you what TV shows I have graced, you might see me in a different light. Anyway, back to my Horlicks, cardigan and slippers in the Old Folks' Home.

May I politely ask a more delicate question? When was a roof first put on the Kippax?

My first game at Maine Road was in 1960 (I think) when I was 11. To me the Kippax roof looked pretty old then.

Alex the Blue said:
Big Swifty said:

May I politely ask a more delicate question? When was a roof first put on the Kippax?

My first game at Maine Road was in 1960 (I think) when I was 11. To me the Kippax roof looked pretty old then.

Start of the 57-58 season I believe.

always a kippax boy from 85-94 standing and 94-2003 seating(although stood up on dave makins seat on back row of kippax while he stood in front)

great memories

1985city and spurs come out in matching kits, city had to change to black and red

1987 battle of maine road with palace

1989 day before my birthday the bournemouth debacle only weeks after chelsea took us to the cleaners,tony fuckin dorigo

89-90 eubank on the pitch

numerous swales out protests

forward with franny

frannys biggest signing was that comedian vince miller

chelsea last stand, great stand, great people and great atmosphere

to this day people slag our attendences off but swales must of fixed it for the tax man, even the fans laughed as you were crushed in kippax and 22,891 came over the p.a

my greatest memory of the kippax is being lifted above the heads of the fans as yougster and passed all the way down to the front - at half time you got passed up then start of the second back down etc - they looked after me as a 5 yr old until I was able to shout piss and a circle formed so as to not get splashed

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.