Memories from the Kippax

I think the main reason it was so special, was the fact that all other grounds had their standing behind the goals. The kippax held 26'000, the largest stand ( for standing ) i imagine in all 4 divisions. 20 years stood, and nine seated ( with everyone we had stood with ). Brilliant times, but i look at my 10 year old lad's face now, home or away, and i know he will have great memories too.

Blue Mist said:
Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
As a kid, looking for the 'best' place to watch before I settled on the old uncovered North Stand, I remember seeing THREE City place kicks in the last ten minutes. On eighty mins we were whipping Wolves 3-1 and then from the halfway line, as a Manchester smog descended on Moss Side, all I saw was the three place kicks and a 4-3 reverse. So all you buggers who haven't got over the Real reverse, 2-1 up with five mins to go, if yer true and blue, yer won't have got over it by 2065!

Dave, I take it you now reside in the States because f*ck knows what a 'place kick' is but I think the match you are refering to was the League Cup. If this is the right match I was with my old man in the Platt Lane and as you say we were 3-1 down. There was one penalty (F.H. Lee duly obliged) Bell scored another but I cant remember who got the third of the goals to put us ahead. I am sure bar Lee's penalty all were from open play. I remember knowing just knowing that with that kind of performance we were sure to go all the way to Wembley. We drew Bury away in the next round and lost 1-0 !!! Typical bloody City.

Nooooooooooooh, BM. Littleborough, and not Littleboro, and that's Littleborough OL15. And a place kick was the right terminology for what went on at the start of each half and after each goal! A place kick! The only place yer took a place kick was on the centre spot. No Yankee doodling here, BM. And the Wolves match was sometime in Nov '57. Jimmy Murray played for Wolves before we got the crap end of his career.

The Kippax in full voice was awesome, spine tingling in fact.

The Kings comeback game against Newcastle still makes me shiver, It was the loudest i ever heard.

As we got older we had our spot, you could turn up late and still know your mates would be stood there, the lads to the right and left were there, the Cheadle Hulme lads in front. Something our younger fans will never know sadly. It was camarderie.

I think i was about 11/12 when me and Toffee Balls used to be at the ground before 12-30 so we were first in the queue and we would run when the gates opened to get a place over the tunnel so we could see.

It was a magical place for me, my Grandad stood there on the opening day in 1923 and many thousands of blue stood there since. It was our spiritual home, it wasnt always perfect and had its downsides. But i would never have swopped them.

The East stand at the Ethihad should be renamed the Kippax.

Watching Dave Watson head a beauty against Ipswich (I think) and the Kippax going mental. Liverpool at home and my Brother starts singing at the Scourers, thing is he's a Utd fan, (came for the day out) and we stood back, so now he's stood on his own, and we all started giving him loads, (RIP Steve). The Kippax in the 70's and 80's was tops.

asmwest said:
Watching Dave Watson head a beauty against Ipswich (I think) and the Kippax going mental. Liverpool at home and my Brother starts singing at the Scourers, thing is he's a Utd fan, (came for the day out) and we stood back, so now he's stood on his own, and we all started giving him loads, (RIP Steve). The Kippax in the 70's and 80's was tops.

I saw that goal right in front of me in the North Stand, ended up about 4/5 rows down in the front..............yes they were great days...............

Big Swifty said:
In reply to Alex the Blue's indelicate question regarding my age, my username has been chosen purposely to reflect a more leisurely era, and is something of a clue. But I am surprised that the uncovered Kippax is regarded as "a long time ago"...........it only seems like yesterday - and you know what a lousy day yesterday was...(Les Dawson, 1978).
Amazingly, I still have all my marbles. If I told you what TV shows I have graced, you might see me in a different light. Anyway, back to my Horlicks, cardigan and slippers in the Old Folks' Home.

Its Stuart Hall

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
As a kid, looking for the 'best' place to watch before I settled on the old uncovered North Stand, I remember seeing THREE City place kicks in the last ten minutes. On eighty mins we were whipping Wolves 3-1 and then from the halfway line, as a Manchester smog descended on Moss Side, all I saw was the three place kicks and a 4-3 reverse. So all you buggers who haven't got over the Real reverse, 2-1 up with five mins to go, if yer true and blue, yer won't have got over it by 2065!

laugh.gif

nij said:
my greatest memory of the kippax is being lifted above the heads of the fans as yougster and passed all the way down to the front - at half time you got passed up then start of the second back down etc - they looked after me as a 5 yr old until I was able to shout piss and a circle formed so as to not get splashed

I remember those days mate, I remember being passed down once because I was ill. They plonked me on one of those little seats pitchside and gave me a cup of scalding oxo. If a bloke did that with his lad these days he'd be locked up.

the best memory i've got of the kippax.

there's a few hundred.

from the position i was in the kippax. daves watson's bullit header in the last few minutes against ipswich sticks out all the time, nothing significant, just stuck in my memory!.

the worst weren't even talking about apart from them red cunts being in there every derby takin the piss.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.