Memories of the Pink Final

I used to make some good money as a kid, I'd always take at least twenty more than I needed for the paper-round, and stop in various pubs on the route. Most blokes were either too pissed to care for their change, or they got a hard time from their mates to not be tight-arsed and I pocketed a tip.

Great times...

I remember walking past the big yellow bus after the match and the headline on bill board said we were buying Les Ferdinand think we ended up with Carl Shutt

awest said:
Bottom left of the paper has results from the central league, oh those memories. Did we ever win the central league?

we won it twice in the 70's, once definately in 77/78 when colin bell played a lot in his rehibilitation from that injury and roger palmer was top scorer

I remember my Dad shouting to Mum "I'm just nipping out to get a Pink Final love" on a Saturday night and coming back bladdered hours later. This happened most weekends thinking about it......

Back into town from Maine Road, pint in Corbieres then pop round to St Annes Sq to pick one up, happy days!

stuart brennan said:
stonerblue said:
How did you get it out so quickly (i presume computers weren't used then)

We were on computers, but very basic stuff.
It's not a lot easier for reporters now at night matches and Sunday afternoon games, I have to file a 1,000-word match report within ten mins of the final whistle.
So next time you say "Brennan saw a different match to me", you'll be right, cos I will have had my head buried in a laptop for the second half!

On the Pink, reporters would file most of the copy at half time, then another couple of batches in the second half, and if anything happened late on, he would phone the sub and tell him what happened, so the sub could write it in, usually just a paragraph marked "Late Scorer".
That led to a classic when Utd won 8-1 at Forest and Solskjaer score four late goals after coming on as a sub.
That was clearly the highlight of the match, but the sub couldn't be bothered re-writing the front page, so the lead story began something like "DWIGHT Yorke and Andy Cole grabbed two apiece as United blitzed Forest at the City Ground today ..."
The very last paragraph then read "Solskjaer added further goals in the 80th, 88th, 90th and 92nd minutes."

Haha, cheers Stuart.
You must have dreaded covering City in the 90's then. Every home game usually saw a commanding 3-0 half-time lead turn into a soul destroying 3-4 defeat.

daveyip said:
in the social club after a game at maine road and the guy with the long hair came in with them at about 6 o clock , you used o get the racing results and half a match report! happy days bring it back!

He was nicknamed 'smocko' or something like that. His sister used to live on our avenue, oldacastle avenue withington and his relative is Dean Sanderson of Sandersons estate agents.... useless info but there you go... very fond memories of the pink.

stonerblue said:
stuart brennan said:
stonerblue said:
How did you get it out so quickly (i presume computers weren't used then)

We were on computers, but very basic stuff.
It's not a lot easier for reporters now at night matches and Sunday afternoon games, I have to file a 1,000-word match report within ten mins of the final whistle.
So next time you say "Brennan saw a different match to me", you'll be right, cos I will have had my head buried in a laptop for the second half!

On the Pink, reporters would file most of the copy at half time, then another couple of batches in the second half, and if anything happened late on, he would phone the sub and tell him what happened, so the sub could write it in, usually just a paragraph marked "Late Scorer".
That led to a classic when Utd won 8-1 at Forest and Solskjaer score four late goals after coming on as a sub.
That was clearly the highlight of the match, but the sub couldn't be bothered re-writing the front page, so the lead story began something like "DWIGHT Yorke and Andy Cole grabbed two apiece as United blitzed Forest at the City Ground today ..."
The very last paragraph then read "Solskjaer added further goals in the 80th, 88th, 90th and 92nd minutes."

Haha, cheers Stuart.
You must have dreaded covering City in the 90's then. Every home game usually saw a commanding 3-0 half-time lead turn into a soul destroying 3-4 defeat.
When was the last Pink published Stuart, was it late nineties I hazard a guess?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.