Mendy cleared of one count of rape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lest anyone get the wrong idea, the judge ordered the cases involving this as the alleged victim woman be dropped after an exchange in court relating to video evidence. The trial covers many charges and victims, Mendy faces several charges which we haven't got decisions on yet.

None of that suggests she has been discredited. Without discussing this case, it's not uncommon for people who've been through traumatic experiences to struggle with consistency.

It is also not uncommon to be assaulted by the same person twice. For example, in a lot of cases the victim is made to feel like it's there fault, or emotionally manipulated/emotionally blackmailed by the person assaulting them.

That will be the case in some cases though clearly not this case so those pointers have no relevance here.

She has been discredited & they have both been found not guilty.

Wouldn't he have been suspended on full pay pending the outcome of any court case?

Either way, I'm pretty sure most football clubs have insurance to cover these eventualities.
You’re probably right, but he can’t have been paid whilst on remand, surely?

His LoE tribunal might be against the CPS rather than City.

That will be the case in some cases though clearly not this case so those pointers have no relevance here.

She has been discredited & they have both been found not guilty.
That's simply not true - and unless you were in court, and have access to the rest of the prosecution evidence regarding this particular women, then you cannot know that. As far as I can see you're basing it on a few paragraphs in a newspaper.

They have also not been found "not guilty" on the evidence, or because you believe she's been discredited. The prosecution appears to have decided not to pursue this particular charge, so the judge has to ask for a "not guilty" finding. Most rape cases never come to trial, partly because it's so difficult to prove, and often situations are complex.

There are multiple charges in this case, and it's not unusual for some to be dropped if the prosecution feel there are stronger charges, and that this particular charge might be more difficult to prove. As you've shown, people are very quick to jump to conclusions with little evidence, and in a case like this, the prosecution are always going to be wary of the impact that a more complex situation can have on the other charges.

As the Mail article says, about the judge, "He warned jurors not to speculate as to why the prosecution had decided not to pursue guilty verdicts in relation to the charges concerned and to continue to 'faithfully' try the defendants on the multiple charges they still face."

I'd assume he knows a little more about the situation then either of us.

Four rape charges against one woman (out of eight rape charges in total, plus two other charges) have been dropped by the prosecution. So not guilty verdicts registered. The witness (Woman Seven) has been completely discredited.

I think in Mendy's case it was one charge of rape against the woman in question and Matturie has been cleared of two charges of rape and one of sexual assault against the same woman. Mendy still faces 7 counts of rape, 1 attempted rape and 1 sexual assault against 6 women.

That's simply not true - and unless you were in court, and have access to the rest of the prosecution evidence regarding this particular women, then you cannot know that. As far as I can see you're basing it on a few paragraphs in a newspaper.

They have also not been found "not guilty" on the evidence, or because you believe she's been discredited. The prosecution appears to have decided not to pursue this particular charge, so the judge has to ask for a "not guilty" finding. Most rape cases never come to trial, partly because it's so difficult to prove, and often situations are complex.

There are multiple charges in this case, and it's not unusual for some to be dropped if the prosecution feel there are stronger charges, and that this particular charge might be more difficult to prove. As you've shown, people are very quick to jump to conclusions with little evidence, and in a case like this, the prosecution are always going to be wary of the impact that a more complex situation can have on the other charges.

As the Mail article says, about the judge, "He warned jurors not to speculate as to why the prosecution had decided not to pursue guilty verdicts in relation to the charges concerned and to continue to 'faithfully' try the defendants on the multiple charges they still face."

I'd assume he knows a little more about the situation then either of us.
From what I read there was a tape played in court of the said woman having enthusiastic sex with 1 of the accused

It's perfectly possible that his activities put him in breach of contract without meeting the bar for a criminal conviction.
I highly doubt someone's personal sex life, no matter how shady, could be considered a breach of contract. Either he's a criminal thru non consensual activity or he's not. If he's not City, will reinstate him, they'll have to. I want him out regardless just on the merits that he stinks, but if he's found not guilty on all counts then the fact that he stinks is irrelevant. What if he was targeted for his money knowing that he was openly promiscuous and of course rich. It wouldn't be the first time something like that happened. A finding of guilty would lead to a slew of civil charges seeking financial retribution. I'll keep an open mind and wait to see what the courts determine. Keep in mind that the actual trial began on August 15, 4 weeks ago and was estimated to run 15 weeks total. That would bring us to Nov. 22, the start of the World Cup. If he's found not guilty on all counts don't be shocked to see him back in the team after the World Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.