Metrolink to / from Etihad

Have I missed something, where does this happen? I thought it was all done electronically from a transponder under the tram.

I used to travel through Media City and into town from Weaste regularly and it happened multiple times at the points where you turn right for Media City or straight on for town. Obviously it’s supposed to be done remotely but for whatever reason I saw the driver get off and do it himself quite a few times. I would catch the first tram in the morning, so maybe the points had frozen stuck overnight or something? That’s just a guess though.

You clearly have. I few pages back I posted I was on a crowded tram coming back from the match. Just before St Peters Sq the poor driver announced there would be a delay whilst he got off and manually changed the points. In 2022 (as it was) this is farcical and shows the tram is not fit for purpose.
I suppose if it’s happening too often then yes it could be said that it’s not fit for purpose but every network of this type has mechanical issues, an occasional incident can’t define the whole network. At least there was a quicker solution than waiting for a support team to come out.

I suppose if it’s happening too often then yes it could be said that it’s not fit for purpose but every network of this type has mechanical issues, an occasional incident can’t define the whole network. At least there was a quicker solution than waiting for a support team to come out.
It isn't about the points. It's about the poor planning and implementation. The very first tram line was Altrincham to Manchester. By Deansgate they laid some new track, other than that, nothing was changed. They took the trains off and put trams on. They have charged forward with new routes since then without any thought. I mentioned driverless trains in Australia because they are investing and planning ahead. We aren't which is why cars regularly drive onto the tracks, services don't run and drivers have to get off a change points.

It isn't about the points. It's about the poor planning and implementation. The very first tram line was Altrincham to Manchester. By Deansgate they laid some new track, other than that, nothing was changed. They took the trains off and put trams on. They have charged forward with new routes since then without any thought. I mentioned driverless trains in Australia because they are investing and planning ahead. We aren't which is why cars regularly drive onto the tracks, services don't run and drivers have to get off a change points.
I agree about sharing road space with cars, I always thought it was a rubbish idea. It’s too simplistic though to just write it off in my view (even though I don’t even use the tram myself). I don’t know anything about the Australian system but each city/town has their own issues to overcome and what suits one might not work for another. From what I can see, Burnham and TfGM are trying to come up with a good public transport system by first combining everything (buses, trams, trains, bikes, scooters, walking) so that everywhere in GM is connected in some way. Manchester is in a good place at the moment and will get better public transport, just how good remains to be seen. People forget how bad London was before the eighties but it’s pretty good now.

Does anyone know if they are putting on direct Etihad trams from Altrincham tonight?

It's hard to tell as schedule amendments don't seem to get advertised to the public.
For our last home game, there seemed to be Trafford Bar - Etihad Campus additionals before the match, and extras back to Crumpsall, Alty & Deansgate after the match. However, that was on a Sunday so there were probably more spare drivers & trams available.

Fucking outdone themselves today. Alty line was at capacity from Navigstion Road.

Chinese New Year and matchday so they stick to Sunday service with a single carriage. Fucking bravo, dick heads.

Just came on to post exactly the same thing mate. Had to let 3 trams go at Brooklands as there was no chance I could get on.

All single trams... on a match day and Chinese New Year. Absolute jokers running that network.

Lots of parents with young kids having to cram on to a packed tram, or wait in the cold. Disgraceful.

Absolute joke today. Single carriages 12 mins apart. Packed out when I tried to get on at Timperley and loads of blues stranded. Expect empty seats at kick off.

The club should be spending time and money on getting basic logistics right before light shows. Do they even communicate with TFGM?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.