Micah Richards Critique

I am not sure that Mancini even thinks he is the best right back at the club.

Often in Europe he used zabaleta which maybe indicates that in the more tactical European games, Micah isn't the answer. I think he prefers Richards in the premier league games.

I think Micah has improved loads but in the international v Holland he wasn't great.

Johnson has done ok in this tournement so far and as someone else said, Hodgson has maybe gone with more familiar players and believes the hype around Jones.

For me what really lets him down is the fact that when he goes forward (which I think he is very good at) and then loses the ball he seems at times to 'amble' back into position, whereas Clichy/Zaba tend to sprint back and then rest once there

It's a small/minor thing but I think it makes him look lazy sometimes

This is why Mancini has begun using him in a back 5 (right hand side of the 3) for the last 10-15 mins of games to curb his enthusiasm going forward

Still think he is better than Johnson especially with Milner in front of him!!

The inclusion of Jones makes the decision to drop Micah even more baffling, but not for the reason you all probably think!

I can fully understand the inclusion of Jones as (in my view anyway) it is the versatility of having one player that can fill 3 positions (RB, CB and DM - irrespective of whether you think he can execute any of those roles adequately enough). With Micah, he can fulfil RB and CB whereas Johnson fills only RB.

Micah will be approaching 27 when the next Euros are on (I'm figuring Hodgson will see out this tourney and the 2014 World Cup) by which time I imagine there'll be a new England manager. Hopefully by then Micah will have continued his development and multiple trophies under his belt which will force his inclusion.

I think I've over-rated him, I used to think he was the bes right-back in the world, now I'm not even sure he is the best right-back at City, he does concede a lot of needless free-kicks, he does switch off at times(Stoke away)
he does get injured a lot, now don't get me wrong I'd keep him but I honestly believe Zaba is better.

Kun Aguero said:
I think I've over-rated him, I used to think he was the bes right-back in the world, now I'm not even sure he is the best right-back at City, he does concede a lot of needless free-kicks, he does switch off at times(Stoke away)
he does get injured a lot, now don't get me wrong I'd keep him but I honestly believe Zaba is better.
Fair play mate. Like I say, the purpose is to try and identify what it Capello and Hodgson didn't like about him and if you see that, then it may be something they saw too.

Imho, I don't necessarily agree re the needless free kicks - I genuinely think sometimes he does it to buy the team a breather, which a lot of teams do. Zabba is a legend and a warrior, but, again imho, he's not as good a RB as Micah.

The only thing about Micah that annoys me is that I don't think I've ever seen him take a single throw in that complies with the law of the game.

But that's just a pet hate caused by years of playing football with people who can't do it and referees who call it up (when refs in international tournaments don't!).

Otherwise, he is considerably better than Johnson and from what I've seen he's better than Walker too.

I've yet to here a counter to my hypothesis that cappello and some 'technical' department at the ra have devised some sort of player selection / merit ranking system which is largely based on uefa Club coefficient. Ie the thing they use to pick CL seeds.

It'd explain the prevalence of Liverpool players, and rag players also. If they've got boosted merit because they're at a 'better' club then they'd always get picked, and they'd need to have desperately poor form to be dropped.

Are the fa dumb enough to do something like this? You tell me.

I think he has a reputation as a joker and given the short amount of time the national team has to train together he may be seen as an unnecessary distraction.

Just a thought...

strongbowholic said:
Following on from a post in the General Forum regarding right backs for England, I thought it might be worth throwing on this part of the forum too...

I believe Micah is the best English Right Back currently. I think under Mancini he has come on in leaps and bounds. His positional awarenes has improved immensely, his attitude has improved immeasurably and he has bags of strength and speed as we already knew. He does not need the protection of a winger, although like any right back clearly appreciates having more options available as an outlet. His passing and crossing (again, in my opinion) have also improved a level or two. Overall, a solid defender, solid wing back.

So, can any of you experts point out what it is that is missing from his game that first Capello and now Hodgson saw that I can't?

I want to be clear, I am not looking for anyone to slag Capello off, slag Hodgson off or even slag Micah off (if there are those who don't think Micah is as good as I believe). I'm looking for real evidence of what it is he is lacking that prevents him getting into the England team.
Micah is not diciplined enough, likes to go forward to much, he gives away silly freekicks and he´s not the best defender, far from it. Cappello came and watched Qpr vs City 2-3 and Micah was all over the place, naive defending, positionaly unaware and as a coach you want to trust your defenders, which he diden´t. Honestly I trust Zabba alot more then I do Richards, you just know what you are going to get with Zabba. With all his flaws I honestly do believe that he deserves to start for England let alone be in the squad.

Being in the States, it's a tad hard to follow the make up of team England before the Euro's but I was a bit surprised to see Micah not on the roster. I hadn't got much of a chance to see Glen Johnson until this years tourney. I'd rather have Micah, but I am biased.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.