Michael Johnson.....

Lucky Toma said:
Strange one for me this.

I'm well acquainted with depression both from my own experiences and others and I always defend in such instances.

And it is genuinely heartening to see so many wish him well because it now transpires that Johnson has suffered from this shit and awful illness in whatever form it took (possibly addiction)

But with Johnson my interpretation - and it is only that - is that there is more to it. Yes he deserves our best wishes but also let's not light any candles for a man who had such an envious gift and opportunity and pissed it up the wall. And someone who - by the accounts of many on here - is a total knob.

Exactly what I said Toma couldn't agree more. The reaction however shows how many loved Johnson at this club and shows the strength of his reach. I remember only a few weeks ago reading a thread asking when he would be back.

didactic said:
Lucky Toma said:
Strange one for me this.

I'm well acquainted with depression both from my own experiences and others and I always defend in such instances.

And it is genuinely heartening to see so many wish him well because it now transpires that Johnson has suffered from this shit and awful illness in whatever form it took (possibly addiction)

But with Johnson my interpretation - and it is only that - is that there is more to it. Yes he deserves our best wishes but also let's not light any candles for a man who had such an envious gift and opportunity and pissed it up the wall. And someone who - by the accounts of many on here - is a total knob.

Exactly what I said Toma couldn't agree more. The reaction however shows how many loved Johnson at this club and shows the strength of his reach. I remember only a few weeks ago reading a thread asking when he would be back.

So does the word "knob" stretch as far as your family and friends who suffer also from this terrible illness ?

oakiecokie said:
didactic said:
Lucky Toma said:
Strange one for me this.

So does the word "knob" stretch as far as your family and friends who suffer also from this terrible illness ?

For the second time, let's keep this on topic please.

I would suggest depression can force people into making bad choices in life?

Some people need to reach the absolute bottom first before they allow themselves to be helped.

Sadly, Johnson's bottom may well be a lot deeper than your average person, because of the money he has accumulated so far?

Nice thread this - believing Johno doesn't suffer from any Psychological problems is ignorant at best and accelerated by his addictions..........

Self-Confidence and Self-Esteem - Given the demands that sport competition places on the athlete, it is essential that he/she have the self-confidence necessary to meet these requirements. Primarily, this involves trusting one’s ability to perform the necessary physical and mental tasks. Developing this trust begins with a realistic appraisal of one’s competence, and an awareness of what can and cannot be controlled. It also involves recognition of personal responsibility for making choices and decisions, and for clarifying one’s values and goals. All of this is based on a foundation of self- worth and self-esteem, even before one attains the achievement and accomplishment that is so widely emphasized. The most significant obstacle to developing or maintaining this foundation is self-criticism and self-condemnation - all of the above for MJ

this then leads to

Negative Thinking - In striving for excellence, many athletes believe it is necessary to criticize, reprimand, or condemn themselves for mistakes, difficulties, or performance that is below expectations. Unfortunately, this approach has undesirable consequences, leading to a decrease in self- confidence and self-esteem, which contributes to impairment in optimal performance. This kind of negative thinking can also lead to predictions of poor performance, descriptions of oneself as inadequate, and unfavorable comparison of self to others. In contrast, athletes can focus on their areas of competence, on excellence of preparation for the task at hand, or on current and past satisfactions. In addition, positive thinking need not be limited to sport performance. In fact, appreciation of oneself outside of sport will improve one’s perspective, and help prepare for situations that may arise in the future, such as injury or retirement.

A brief outline but MJ certainly has suffered in some capacity, however great would be guessing but an educated one being extensively!!

didactic said:
Lucky Toma said:
Strange one for me this.

Exactly what I said Toma couldn't agree more.
Here's what you said:

didactic said:
Im tired of there being threads on here about players, managers blah blah and people throw in their own experiences and start turning the crowds to their beliefs just because they have their own opinions. There has been no evidence provided that Johnson had any mental issues. Does this mean I am pissing on all the other blues who DO have/had them? No it does not. And having issues does not excuse drunk driving or being a general asshole to people. Stop putting these players on an undeserved pedestal. He was gambling and drinking before the injuries and its intensified after. Why? Because its fun, because not everyone can remain focused enough to be a successful professional athlete. This happens more often than we are told now lets stop all the "I had mental problems and he has mental problems bollocks". People fuck up in life without needing excuses.

The Priory is an ADDICTION center so by mental issues he is talking about his drinking, gambling and whatever else.

And there's more:
didactic said:
The evidence is there to see he has been arrested for drink driving, those who know him on a personal level say he was drinking and gambling before his injuries. Those who met him say he was always a **** and asshole and then he admits he has been going to an ADDICTION center. What more evidence do you need? Same way I do not feel sorry for the crack head who ruined his football dreams by picking up the pipe is the same way I wont feel sorry for MJ just because he played for City. Spare me the "mental issues" bollocks its a word used by addicts to explain away their actions.

You come on here trolling as usual then when you've got the reaction you've been looking for and have been challenged come out with "I wish him all the best", "Some of my best friends are mentally ill", etc. The truth is that you've got more faces than a clock shop.

There has been some shit spouted on this thread and certainly not just by you. But the others have said their (uninformed) piece and left it at that. You have sought to inflame the debate.

Do you think if he was on 'just' a grand a week for this 5 year contract he would have mental health issues?
I feel having so much disposable income at such a young age could corrupt anyone!

tolmie's hairdoo said:
I would suggest depression can force people into making bad choices in life?

Some people need to reach the absolute bottom first before they allow themselves to be helped.

Sadly, Johnson's bottom may well be a lot deeper than your average person, because of the money he has accumulated so far?

The hardest thing about depression is being able to acknowledge that you do indeed have a problem.This could well have been brought on by his long term injuries and subsequently "turning to the bottle" as a comforter.
Nothing worse than alcohol to make your depression seem even worse than it already is.
People were using the words "what a waste" but I hope they realise that football has become secondary to him,obviously for months it appears.For me being able to empathise to some extent,what the lad must have been going through and for one so young must have been terrible.No wonder he called them "his demons."
Sincerely hope he can get back to a his normal self and even more so,show the footballing world how good he really was.

Anthony Kun said:
Do you think if he was on 'just' a grand a week for this 5 year contract he would have mental health issues?
I feel having so much disposable income at such a young age could corrupt anyone!

Who noes mate not all players do what Johnson has done but money goes to peoples head more than others imo and maybe he just found himself drinking far too much and not doing what a professional footballer should be doing. It’s a real shame and he will look back and regret it but I hope he can work his way back into football somehow

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.