Michael Robinson RIP

When Big Mal ripped apart the team he was one of the main players that was illustrated to Big Mal's folly in doing so(having spent by then a huge amount on a player who had never played in the top tier, I would guess that £750,000 was the most Preston received for a player for a VERY long time). The fact that very quickly and as his career progressed after leaving City that connection was no longer made shows that he was a pretty good player RIP....

That season was my first as a city supporter, all my mates were asking who do you support (as far as I remember the choice was city, United, Liverpool or Everton - no other teams was ever mentioned), so I asked my dad and the rest is history.

I started my first panini football sticker album and got to learn the players that way and I remember getting the sticker for Michael Robinson. I also remember being annoyed a year when the Liverpool bought him. RIP Michael Robinson.

Only 61 acc my records. RIP, fellah, one of the cultured ones.

Funny though how he is remembered in the RDAHMeedya -

1975–1979
Preston North End 48 (15)
1979–1980 Manchester City 30 (8)
1980–1983 Brighton & Hove Albion 113 (37)
1983–1984 Liverpool 30 (6)
1984–1986 Queens Park Rangers 48 (5)
1987–1989 Osasuna 58 (12)
Total 327 (83)

Apparently he was a Liverpool player!
To be fair he won his only domestic honours that one season with Liverpool*, the 1st division, the League Cup and the European Cup.

I'd have sworn blind he played more than the one season for us though. RIP.

RIP thoughts with his family at this time.Good player for City,wholehearted and not short of goals,taken too young.

How very sad. I always knew him as Mick Robinson, maybe it was just me. I remember he arrived with a lot of weight on his shoulders with that transfer fee at only 21 but Steve McKenzie who signed around the same time settled better probably because he was younger and not in that key striker role.

RIP Michael.

Had cancer but another one sadly claimed by Covid...RIP Michael

This is sad to read indeed. Really liked him as a player, wasn’t the most skilled I’ve ever seen but never gave less than 100%, and when I’ve seen /heard him speak in the years since always came across really well and as a truly decent bloke. So, so sad.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.