Michael Robinson

Sadly been diagnosed with incurable cancer. He was among the first of Big Mal's follies in his second spell at City. He had 30 appearances scoring 8 goals. We paid Preston £750k for him and they were in the 2nd division then. He was just 21 and had no experience in the First Division.

The story is that Swales approached Preston, where Nobby Stiles was then manager, and offered them £250k. The chairman laughed, thinking it was a ludicrous amount for an untried 21-year old. Swales thought he was laughing because it was an insulting amount and upped the offer to £750k. No idea if that's true but given the madness at the time of Malcolm's second coming you could well believe it.

That story is true PB. A client of mine in those days was a big mate of the Preston chairman and he told me the same at the time. Swales upped it to £500k & the Chairman said he'd need to think about it for a few minutes. He came back into the room & leading them on a bit said he wasn't sure it was enough. To his amazement Swales said "OK £750k & not a penny more". The Chairman told my client that Swales was the most gullible businessman he'd ever come across.
From that day on I just knew it was all going to go pear shaped for us.

Sad news, he was a favourite of mine when he played for us and always hoped he did well. Cancer is fucking awful for all involved, it touches us all in some way . Hopefully he does not suffer too much, i wish him well and hope he does not suffer too much. Shit

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.