Middle East Conflict (merged)

Even by Netanyahu's standards, Smotrich is a lunatic. It's like some of the far-right nutters here, who want to deport all Muslims. Do they represent the mainstream? No.
Do you seriously believe that's a strategic aim of Israel? No you don't.

The problem in this thread is people quoting extremists and insisting they represent mainstream opinions.
Isn't this 'lunatic' in the government?

Even by Netanyahu's standards, Smotrich is a lunatic. It's like some of the far-right nutters here, who want to deport all Muslims. Do they represent the mainstream? No.
Do you seriously believe that's a strategic aim of Israel? No you don't.

The problem in this thread is people quoting extremists and insisting they represent mainstream opinions.
Of course Smotrich doesn’t represent the majority of Israelis—I am not sure I have seen anyone arguing that, though, perhaps I missed it.

But that is not the point being made by most of those denouncing the actions of the state.

Smotrich, Ben-Gvir, and other extreme Zionists are the driving force behind the Israeli government right now. Netanyahu is willing to give them almost anything they want in order to stay in power and avoid accountability. He does share some of their ideology—he always has opposed a two state solution and has many, many times expressed support for an expanded Israel. But even where he may not prescribe to their extreme religious and political beliefs—including Kahanism—he defers to them to avoid being ousted on his far-right side. He has allowed them to implement increasingly unpopular and extremism policies, and he has encouraged the expansions and intensification of the war in Gaza, military and settler operations/annexations in the West Bank, the opening of the new front with Hezbollah (including bombing Lebanon in to submission), and now attacking and threatening UN forces and the UN itself.

They are effectively the Israeli state at this point, so it is intellectually dishonest to argue that because they do not represent most Israelis views and desires, that their rhetoric, actions, and policies are not relevant or dangerous. Or that they do not represent or shape the strategic aims of Israel.

It would be like saying because Trump does not represent most Americans he is no threat to anyone. And even with him, at least he isn’t actually the president at present!

Last edited:
Imagine living in Devon sipping your coffee talking about football, while at the same time you know the air force are bombing the shit out of Cornwall. Day after day week after week. Thousands dying, famine and disease.

I reckon eventually you'd ask yourself. What on earth are we doing?

Imagine living in Devon sipping your coffee talking about football, while at the same time you know the air force are bombing the shit out of Cornwall. Day after day week after week. Thousands dying, famine and disease.

I reckon eventually you'd ask yourself. What on earth are we doing?

I'd probably ask, why the fuck are we bombing ourselves?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.