Mike Doyle 12 years today.

Lived just around the corner from me, member of Ashton Golf Club and scratch handicap at one time. Could be a prickly character but once if ge liked you he was very good company. Still loved his football, I remember him one Sunday lunch we were having a beer and he’d got up about 3am to watch a World Cup Qualifier, think it was Australia v Iran, something like that. I quite often park in the back streets of Ashton where the Church is that held his funeral, it was rammed that day with ex City players and Blues fans, a special man who unfortunately succumbed to a terrible addiction,
RIP still Mike, hope you were watching down on us.
He used to drink in the Oddfellows Arms , about a thirty second walk from my house, closed down though now mind.

He used to drink in the Oddfellows Arms , about a thirty second walk from my house, closed down though now mind.
I know the Oddies well, one of my best friends is married to John Lucas’s stepdaughter Sally, he’s the same guy who’s son named our mascot Moonchester!

I knew a guy who used to work with Doyle, long after Doyle left City. They used to do the occasional round of golf together but apparently Doyle didn't like discussing his City days.
Maybe he was just bored with the questions, or maybe he was a contrary bugger. Either way, he will always be a City legend

I knew a guy who used to work with Doyle, long after Doyle left City. They used to do the occasional round of golf together but apparently Doyle didn't like discussing his City days.
Maybe he was just bored with the questions, or maybe he was a contrary bugger. Either way, he will always be a City legend
David Scott who he worked with in Insurance?

I recommend his bio " Blue Blood " if you've never read it ..

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but mine is that I thought the book was dreadful (though I'd blame the ghostwriter for that) and I wish I'd never read it. Doyle came across as an angry, very bitter and rather unpleasant man, a portrayal I didn't enjoy at all given that, as a kid, I idolised him.

He was the City captain when I first started attending games at Maine Road and formed a fantastic central-defensive partnership with Dave Watson - quite possibly the best in the history of the club in the pre-Sheikh Mansour era (I'd probably now nominate Stones and Dias, for instance, as better). Both Watson and Doyle were absolutely hard as nails, and both were much better at the footballing side than they were often given credit for.

Until David Silva, Kompany and one or two others equalled his tally of five major trophies under Mancini and Pellegrini, Mike (along with Alan Oakes) was City's most decorated player ever, and he also won well-deserved full England caps relatively late in his career. No doubting his quality, then, but it was his attitude as well that marked him out as epitomising everything good about our club. Loved him.

I can't remember the guy's name but yes, he worked in Insurance I think. I knew him only through an insurance policy I bought years ago.
Mike worked with him for a good few years, they sold insurance to a lot of footballers at the time. Mike also owned a car sales company called Hartshead Motors, he sold the premises to his good mate Tony Brierly who expanded the company that’s now Rodo, its a huge company these days.

no doubting his quality, then, but it was his attitude as well that marked him out as epitomising everything good about our club. Loved him.
i loved him for the same,his attitude and hatred of them.
little things like , he once waved to me in our car when i was about 7 years old on Oldham road near his car showroom in the early 70's.

one of the last times i saw him ,he was walking his dog on Whiteacre Road Ashton, i had my walkman on and nodded to him and he nodded back.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.